Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Thor Satellite Hookup Question

Howdy all,

I've got a question on the satellite hook up for a 2015 Thor Tuscany XTE. Pretty basic....but where in the heck is the coax cable to put into the satellite receiver box?

In the cabinet (above the driver) where the Winegard and Satellite receiver site, I cannot find it. I've removed the components and looked in the space behind them, but no joy. I removed the panel to the left of the components - and found a gaggle of wiring but no loose end of coax floating around.

Anyone have the same issue? How did you get it resolved?

Thanks,
Frustrated Greg

Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Not sure about the Tuscany but in our Challenger 37TB, we simply come in through the coax connection in the electric storage compartment. Then, in the coach, I use a splitter before the distribution box. Anyways, there are a number of threads on this forum for hooking it up. I've posted one myself. Not sure this helps with the Tuscany but there you have it.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:52 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Not sure what you mean by "Winegard and Satellite receiver"! I am wondering if the Winegard is an AV distribution box similar to the QSD53 in our coach. We have a portable dish we eventually sat up on our new-to-us Palazzo. I am new to the Thor family but it looks like there is a diverse set of RV's but a lot of commonality in things like TV set ups.
I just did a lengthy post on another thread on this forum that you might find useful. Not sure if any of it will apply to your coach but it might be helpful. You can read it at
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17/satellite-hook-up-question- 2137.html

Hope this is some help!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #4

THOR #1497
Thanks all.

The Winegard control unit for the satellite dish, sorry for the confusion. The MH came with a Winegard satellite, the control box powers on the dish.

I had to purchase the receiver unit and activate the service.

For the life of me, I cannot find the end of the coax cable that runs from the satellite and connects to the back of the receiver.

The dish powers on (by the Winegard control unit) and connects to the satellites.

I have run a coax from the satellite through the window and into the receiver...it works and the service has been activated. So I know everything works.

But, as I mentioned, not a clue where the end of the coax cable is that was installed by Thor. I'm afraid it go tucked into a wall and will be hard to track down.

I'll take a look at your post and see if I can gain any insight.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
If you have the winegard for Directv, you should look for a SWM box. The SWM box needs AC power. The dish coax cable connects to the SWM box, from the SWM box you will have a coax cable that you will connect to your sat 1 input.

The SWM box looks like a power converter, black box, approx 4 or 5 inches long, it will have an AC power cord along with the RF coax connections. For me it is located in the same compartment that the Winegard control box is.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
If you have the winegard for Directv, you should look for a SWM box. The SWM box needs AC power. The dish coax cable connects to the SWM box, from the SWM box you will have a coax cable that you will connect to your sat 1 input.

The SWM box looks like a power converter, black box, approx 4 or 5 inches long, it will have an AC power cord along with the RF coax connections. For me it is located in the same compartment that the Winegard control box is.
Do you have a photo of it?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I don't have a picture, black box, I think a green label or decal that will say Directv and some other lettering! Can't miss it!!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
I was hoping to see a pic too because some memory cells are reviving from when we had a Winegard dome installed on our previous coach about 4-5 years ago. They needed a SWM4 switch and did not have one in stock. Rather then delay the job they told me I could go down to Radio Shack and buy one. I did and it was labeled 'SWM 4 for Dir TV" as I remember. No power cord it looked like a spliter with one input and 4 outputs and as I remember it processed a signal from Dir TV which a regular spliter would not do.
At any rate I did some more research because I consider the arrangement I recently worked out with this new to us coach to be temp. We can only watch the same sat program on all TV's. The SWM 4 was part of the reason we did not have that problem in previous coach - I just don't remember the details yet!
I just found this attached document on Windgard's site and I think it may help. I do a see a SWM power inserter which has a power cord and some cautions about using it.
I have not studied the doc and you need to before using it is my opinion!
Or it may have nothing of value or you may have it already.

Hum, I just found out you can only attach videos, but I know you can insert links so here it a link to where I found it

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452242.pdf

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #9

THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post

Thanks Brian. I found the power inserter and the swm splitter behind a panel, that had to be removed (and much gnashing of teeth), on the left side of the entertainment cabinet. The splitter has 4 outputs, three were capped. Finally figured out the one with the output cable attached went to the bedroom tv. There was no output cable stubbed out into cabinet where the receiver box rests. Once I ran a cable from one of the capped outputs to the receiver all is working as it should. JOY!!!

For those of you looking for a picture of the swm power inserter, here is the Winegard manual for the Model SK-SWM3. There is a picture of the inserter on page #2.

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/8/89/2452282.pdf