Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Satellite hook up question

We are going to be picking up our new Challenger 37KT The dealer has told me I can’t use my portable sat dish with out 6 hours of labor Is this true? There is no way to use my portable Sat dish?

Thanks

KC

Old 08-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
We are going to be picking up our new Challenger 37KT The dealer has told me I can’t use my portable sat dish with out 6 hours of labor Is this true? There is no way to use my portable Sat dish?
I have a Chateau 31L and I am still trying to figure out why I can't get the satellite to work without running the cable in through a window. It works on cable but not satellite. I think I have figured out a way to get it to work but it sure won't be 6 hours. I'm interested in seeing what replies you get to this question.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I have a Chateau 31L and I am still trying to figure out why I can't get the satellite to work without running the cable in through a window. It works on cable but not satellite. I think I have figured out a way to get it to work but it sure won't be 6 hours. I'm interested in seeing what replies you get to this question.
Me 2
Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
I'm not sure what's different with the Challenger. With a Hurricane:

- I plugged a portable Dish TV Tailgater to the external cable jack on the outside of the coach.
- I connected the DISH ViP 211z satellite receiver to the "Satellite Ready" jack inside the AV compartment.
- Used the RCA outputs on the DISH ViP 211z box, and connected to inputs on back of the AV switch.
- I turn off the AV switch box so the antenna boost green light is off.
- Switch to the source on the front of the AV switch box and any or all TVs just work if they are on channel 3, standard definition, not HDMI.

About 15 minutes the first time.

Perhaps the 6 hours is to run HDMI cables through the walls and cabinets, if they don't exist. Or, a new coax cable so that you can watch the RVPark's Cable and Sat at the same time?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I'm not sure what's different with the Challenger. With a Hurricane:

- I connected the DISH ViP 211z satellite receiver to the "Satellite Ready" jack inside the AV compartment.
Is your jack labeled as "Satellite Ready"? I only have one jack and it is NOT labeled as "Satellite Ready".
Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Is your jack labeled as "Satellite Ready"? I only have one jack and it is NOT labeled as "Satellite Ready".
I believe the male coax jack in the AV cabinet is labeled "Satellite" with a white paper sticker, (it's been many months since I have bothered to look inside there). It's the only coax jack in there.

The sales brochure and website called my coach "satellite ready", whatever that means.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

THOR #2020
I only have the one connection in the coach and it does not have a label. I guess that is why it is a class C... doesn't have as much class as a class A. I expect that I can get it to work by taking the cable off the antenna booster and running it direct to the satellite box. We so seldom are in a park that has cable that I don't think it will matter. In fact, I thought about trying to run it to satellite box and then run the RF out from the satellite box to the antenna booster (cable connection) and see if I can get the signal to the other TVs in the unit.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

THOR #2628
I was told Sat ready has a Sat line to the roof only. Compartment hook up is for Cable TV

KC
Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #9

THOR #2020
I found two comments on another forum (go Google.)

No. 1Your "satellite ready" cabling was no doubt connected to the on-roof automatic dish and probably goes direct to the satellite receiver as Ned suggests. If you also want to use a portable dish, you may have to run an additional cable to the receiver. If you need to use a "Y" or A/B switch, make sure it is designed for use with a dish. That's because a satellite coax carries a small amount of power to the dish, whereas the "park cable" connector does not. Standard TV adapters/connectors often do not pass the power though so the dish won't work with them.

No. 2The reason it won't work with the dish is because it goes thru the signal booster located somewhere around the upfront TV. Even tho the booster is turned off for park cable, the cable still goes thru the box and screws up the signal if coming from the dish. To make that work for your portable dish, you would have to disconnect the other end from the booster and connect it directly to your Satellite receiver box.

I think I know what I have to do.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

THOR #2628
Quote:
I found two comments on another forum (go Google.)

No. 1Your "satellite ready" cabling was no doubt connected to the on-roof automatic dish and probably goes direct to the satellite receiver as Ned suggests. If you also want to use a portable dish, you may have to run an additional cable to the receiver. If you need to use a "Y" or A/B switch, make sure it is designed for use with a dish. That's because a satellite coax carries a small amount of power to the dish, whereas the "park cable" connector does not. Standard TV adapters/connectors often do not pass the power though so the dish won't work with them.

No. 2The reason it won't work with the dish is because it goes thru the signal booster located somewhere around the upfront TV. Even tho the booster is turned off for park cable, the cable still goes thru the box and screws up the signal if coming from the dish. To make that work for your portable dish, you would have to disconnect the other end from the booster and connect it directly to your Satellite receiver box.

I think I know what I have to do.
So If I understand you if I can get to the coax line before it hits the booster I can run a “Y” to split the signal, one line to booster the other to Sat. receiver.

KC
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
State: Florida
THOR #2074
You can't have a splitter in the coax run from the dish to the receiver.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #12

Model: Palazzo
State: Texas
THOR #2072
My instructions that I gave you on the other Forum still stand.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #13

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveht View Post
My instructions that I gave you on the other Forum still stand.
What instructions on what other forum?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:21 AM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #2072
Quote:
What instructions on what other forum?
That was for KC. On the iRV2.com Forum. Sorry mod if this is not allowed. Please delete!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:39 AM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #2248
I recently spent a day setting up our new-to-us coach for our portable dish and some of what I learned may help.
First "Sat ready" does mean there is cable on the roof to the AV compartment to install sat dish on the roof. That is of no use in setting up the portable dish.
Next, there is a Quest Video Control Center QS53D in this 2013 Palazzo. I got some help from the Quest folks but they admittedly don't know how the RV manufacturer sets up each coach. You may not have the same model but their may be some common info in setting up. I will see if I can pass the info on CLEARLY! But if not let me know and I will try to clarify.
On the AV controller ignore any think marked sat TV! It refers to permanently installed roof mounted sat dish and is connected to the roof cables not ones you will need to use for your portable dish.
I connected my cable from the dish to the external connection point (in the sanitary compartment in this coach). From that point a GRAY coax cable runs to the AV compartment and I hook that up to my input on the back of my sat receiver. (There is also an ORANGE coax cable in the AV compartment and I read somewhere that in Thor RV's ORANGE coax means sat TV. It took me awhile to quit trying to make it work before I learned what I said above "ignore any sat marked cables as they apply to permanent roof mounts".
So I had a signal now and could run a cable directly from the sat receiver to a TV and it worked. But, obviously tripping over the cable, etc was a problem since the AV comp and RV were on opposite sides and ends of the living area and we had two more TV;s!!! And the owners manual says I can watch TV on any of the 3 TV's!
So here is where it all came together and another poster noted this also. I removed the DVD player as we never use it and It was connected with the red, white and yellow AV cables to th QS53D. I left those cables connected to the QS53D but plugged the other end into the corresponding plugs on back of the sat receiver and vola' I had sat TV on any TV AS LONG AS the TV is set on channel 4-0, the QSD53D is on and the button for Channel 4 is pressed and DVD is selected on the QS53D for the TV(s) you want to watch! All TV's can only watch the same channel on sat TV. While watching sat TV on one TV you can watch OTA by selecting "antenna" for that TV on the QS53D and going to whatever channel you want to watch.

I hope this helps and if there are any questions I can clarify let me know. I will try. I have had a controller/distributor in previous TV's but not one that seems as limited as this one.

One question I have not resolved and will probably contact Thor soon if I do not find an answer here or elsewhere is about the HDMI cable that terminates in the AV compartment. It is not hooked up in the AV compartment, just "hanging out" there! I know the main and bedroom TVs do NOT have a HDMI cable hooked up or available in the wire bundle terminating there. I have not checked the exterior TV because i have not figured out how to dismount it (not on my priority list for now)! So what function is that HDMI cable supposed to serve! Anybody have any ideas?