Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #14550
Palazzo Front End issue

Hey all,

We found a 2019 Palazzo 33.2 (our first ever RV) that we fell in love with 2 weeks ago and put a deposit on it. Soooo looking forward to getting it and beginning our RV experiences!

However, there was an issue: driving down the road, every once in a while the front end pulled to the right. Wasn't constant, wasn't a really hard pull, just the coach deciding occasionally it wanted to go that way.

The dealer service department immediately took it for a drive and said they believed it was a front end alignment issue. By the time we left that long day, they said they could not fix it and they were sending it to Freightliner for repair. The salesman called us 2 days later and told us Freightliner could not determine what the issue was and were gonna call in the original manufacturer for diagnosis and repair.

Well, today, got a call from the salesman and was informed they planned a "3 axle" alignment (note the Palazzo 33.2 has only 2 axles) and squaring. The start date is scheduled for 7/10, and it could take 1-2 weeks to complete. Wow!

We are really concerned about this issue, because we do NOT want to pay for a problem that will/might recur after we take possession. The dealer (in Kansas City, 4 hours away) does not have another of this model/floorplan (the only one we want) in stock at any of it's 3 locations.

Has anyone else gone through this? Can you offer words of comfort? Or are we gonna end up looking for this motorhome elsewhere. The closest I've located is over 8 hours away and a higher price. Really don't wanna do that!!

Help!
Thanks,

harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Who is going to pay for this repair, you? I personally would probably run from it and look for one someplace else. It's not the only Palasso in the world. When someone says it doesn't do it all the time, I really would wonder if its a front end alignment.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

THOR #14550
They are doing it as warranty work. And as I stated, this one is at a good dealer 4 hours away. The next closest I can find is over 8 hours away and at a igher price. And three of us encountered the issue, the salesman, my wife and me. Then their service department.
So we'll have to see how reassuring the folks doing the work can be.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
actually sounds more like a power steering pump issue...

as for the purchase, or not... since you're not really the 'owner' yet, as you haven't closed the deal... let them work out the kinks, to your satisfaction BEFORE you sign the papers and take possession - once you do, you won't have the same leverage to make the dealer go out of their way to satisfy you, since they can't yet list this as a 'sale' until you close on it.

Freightliner is a great chassis builder, and will make things right, but it could take time and effort and aggravation until then... you may lose much of your summer before it's worked out... or you could just have the dealer order another of the same exact model 'just for you' from the factory.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #5

THOR #14550
Turnerfam, we will certainly let the dealer handle this. As for ordering another, this is a 2019, and has been on their lot for a while, so we are getting a very good price, one that could not be matched by ordering a 2020. We could wish...
Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Definitely not a common problem with Palazzo or the 33.2 and DO NOT close the deal on it until the issue is identified and fixed. I would contact Freightliner directly (they'll need the VIN) regarding the issue because even good service departments are sometimes "selective" with the truth, while Freightliner or Cummins will be straight with you. There are multiple issues (recalls, defective parts, etc.) which I've found the solution, received directions, contact info and warranty authorization by speakin with Freightliner or Cummins and then providing all of that to the service center doing the work. Sounds rediculous to have to do that (you'd think the centers would, but they are often understaffed and overwhelmed), but it has really helped expedite the repairs and minimized the drama and issues with repairs.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #7

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
I agree with Turner's comments about the power steering pump. I experienced a similar problem on a previous coach. I would drive for a while and everything was great, then all of a sudden the rig wanted to go off to the right. After i fought the wheel for a few seconds, it returned to normal. Then a bit later, it'd pull to the right again. In this case, the problem turned out to be a combination of events that caused the power steering belt to loosen just enough so that i had no power steering assist. You might think that it would still want to continue straight even under that condition, but it didn't! Finally ended up changing out a smog pump that was on the same fan belt as the power steering pump.