Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
The bellows probably won't be an issue, but when we were camping in early spring and it was cold and windy, I'd leave the slide out in to reduce the volume of the living space and put less strain on the furnace.
We almost never use our slide. It's one of the major reasons why we liked the 24.1, slide doesn't interfere with life.
I'll screw it shut and totally seal it and all it would amount to is a wall behind the drivers seat that keeps it from reclining and about a 70sqin of lost floor space on the far wall and a couch 7inches shorter than the maximum available if it never had a slide.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's always about the power...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #23

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We almost never use our slide. It's one of the major reasons why we liked the 24.1, slide doesn't interfere with life.
I'll screw it shut and totally seal it and all it would amount to is a wall behind the drivers seat that keeps it from reclining and about a 70sqin of lost floor space on the far wall and a couch 7inches shorter than the maximum available if it never had a slide.
Lucky you. I am longer than the bed by two or more inches and with the slide pulled in, I have to sleep diagonally in the bed. It's OK for a night now and then, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of that arrangement.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 AM   #24
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
If you don't wait for the water to runoff, the slide topper will not wind up correctly as the slide is retracted. At least that is the way it happens on our 2016 Tuscany 45AT.

We like to be plugged in for both slide extension and retraction. Otherwise you have to watch battery voltage. Less than 12.5 volts and the process slows down or stalls.

The 45AT has a huge slide on the passenger side. It really groans during extension/ retraction, even under the best of conditions.

Good luck!

I believe your Tuscany has hydraulics powering the slide rather than electric motors... so the same stop/start issues don’t apply.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:11 AM   #25

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
You're right.
Absolutely pointless, and yet that tall tale of vacuum might scare some newb into opening their door in the rain, or high wind, to lesser the potential of a slide problem.

To put the math into a situation.
Go pickup a 4x8 sheet of plywood and stand into a 3mph wind.
Multiply 4x8 to the size of a slide side.
My little 24.1 slide is 78x78, 42sqft+ vs 32sqft for the plywood sheet.
The 3mph wind would push you down.

10,000 times the pressure of the bellows.

Bigger slide=exponential pressure yet same bellows due to same massive rv leaks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...ad-d_1775.html
Look at that chart and be astounded why a boat can be pushed by a 3mph wind. Lots of psi.
It doesn’t work that way.

Besides, I don’t know what numbers you’re reading, but a 4X8 sheet of plywood in a 3 MPH wind wouldn’t push me over. It’s so low a force compared to weight it would be hard to feel.

And 10,000 times more? Where are you getting the “bellows” pressure from? That’s not an easy pressure to calculate.

Actually, “IF” an RV could be sealed tight, the pressure fluctuation due to a typical-size slide opening or closing would be far greater than created by a 3 MPH wind.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It doesn’t work that way.

Besides, I don’t know what numbers you’re reading, but a 4X8 sheet of plywood in a 3 MPH wind wouldn’t push me over. It’s so low a force compared to weight it would be hard to feel.

And 10,000 times more? Where are you getting the “bellows” pressure from? That’s not an easy pressure to calculate.

Actually, “IF” an RV could be sealed tight, the pressure fluctuation due to a typical-size slide opening or closing would be far greater than created by a 3 MPH wind.
Stop.
I provided a table, you deny it.
I'll not argue over the vacuum created by a slide.
The idea was ludicrous at best.
It needed debunked so as to not be taken the slightest bit seriously.
We'll leave it at ludicrous.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #27

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

Stop.
I provided a table, you deny it.
I'll not argue over the vacuum created by a slide.
The idea was ludicrous at best.
It needed debunked so as to not be taken the slightest bit seriously.
We'll leave it at ludicrous.

I’m not denying anything. You’re just using the table wrong. Pressure from 3 MPH wind is next to zero. Attached is picture of your table. You’re probably using wrong units if I had to guess.

Regardless, what does 3 MPH wind have to do with anything.

When the inside volume of a “sealed” motorhome changes, there is a change in pressure. That’s a fact. The math is complicated but very real. Calculations are similar to what happens in an engine during compression stroke, except instead of a compression ratio of about 10:1 it’s very small, yet can be estimated accurately with the right training and skills. It’s not the kind of math most people are going to get from the internet, and if they do, probably won’t understand it and apply it correctly. Sorry, but it’s the truth.

If you want to debunk a myth using “MATH”, getting the math right is essential.

P.S. — I’m trying to help you whether you see it or not. If you disagree that’s fine, and can correct me and make your case with facts. Telling anyone to STOP isn’t much of a technical argument to support your case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E01E087-1BA3-458D-BC75-BD31FE419250.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	20817  
Old 10-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #28

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Bellows effect

The effect of pressure variations on sealed vessels is an extremely complex engineering subject that is at the center of petrochemical plant design. Please refer to the attachment below. However, given the fact that a motor home is hardly a sealed vessel I can assure you that the forces acting on the slide motors, slide rails, etc. are more related to the weight of the slide, it’s position during extension or retraction rather than pressure variations due to repositioning of the slide.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...essure-vessels
Old 10-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #29

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
^^^True^^^ Sorta like trying to build up pressure inside a colander with a soda straw, huh?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #30

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnative View Post
I have heard it said that you shouldn't put out a slide only part way and stop, then retract. I have also heard not to extend without being hooked up to electricity. I have done both of these in the past* with no immediate or apparent damage but a few months ago I had to replace one slide motor so wondering if these situations have anything to do with it. I have a 2014 27K Hurricane with a very long slide on one side from behind the entry door all the way to the back but only goes out about 2-3 feet. *I have 500W of solar charging my batteries when I was running the slide out and in.
The sensor control is probably in one of your compartments. Whatever you do, out part way or all the way etc, check it to make sure nothing is blinking an error. No blinking is what you're looking for. Same would go for any bed above the cab that goes up or down.....the sensor is probably in a compartment above the dash. The Thor "manual" has the error codes and what they mean.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #31
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Slides not going in or out much...

Well...this seems to be our year...
Went to refract the drivers side slide and only came in a bit and one sides retracted more than the other. I've reset, the motor to no avail. Unplugged the motor and tried to move manually...nothing. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think that you can access the motors on the sides of the slides, and disconnect them...
This will make it MUCH easier to push the slide back in.
But you have to remember to drop those motors back into place: they'll hold the slide closed for you.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #33
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
Well...this seems to be our year...
Went to refract the drivers side slide and only came in a bit and one sides retracted more than the other. I've reset, the motor to no avail. Unplugged the motor and tried to move manually...nothing. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
As a just prior post asks - any error indicators (flashing light pattern) on the controller? Might help steer to a resolution.

My experience with unplugging the motor and pushing has been to have a lot of people... Bedroom slide took 4-5... Living room slide (not full wall) wasn't movable with double that. Disengaging motors may help - but unplug is supposed to be enough. As Bob said - be sure to reengage and plug back in - to hold slide in.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #34
Cpd

THOR #14097
There were no lights flashing. Unplugged the motors- wouldn't budge.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:04 AM   #35

Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
Should you use silicone spray on the bottom of the metal rails on the slide out?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #36

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
[QUOTE=ducksface;206883]We almost never use our slide.

We thought like that too with our 28 footer; however as we've aged the 28 seemed to get smaller and smaller over time-one of the reasons we upgraded!
GVP
Old 10-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #37
Cpd

THOR #14097
We do this quite often to keep them running smooth.
Were full time so we use them all the time. Judging how tight it is right now if we didnt I'm not sure how long my hubby would live....��

Tags
slide out