Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
So, we discovered our Vegas' awning automatically retracts!

My wife took our granddaughter to one of the campsites the other night. She lives on a campground but of course, never gets to go camping because Mom and Dad are always busy running it! Anyway, overnight a big thunderstorm hit and she jumped up to put the awning in. When she opened the door, it was already in!

We know that awnings have this available but neither of us had been told (nor have we seen mention of it on these forums or on Thor's website) that our awning would do this in windy conditions. The next morning, I opened the awning up and climbed up on a picnic table that was right under it. I lifted the arm a couple of times to simulate the wind and, sure enough, the thing brought itself in!

I guess I am kind of surprised that Thor spent the extra money on this as a standard feature, not an option.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Yuuup!
The armless awnings are suppose to have this windy/auto retract feature
The older models with the side arms, like my ‘17, do not

So I assume that yours is an ‘18, ‘19, or ‘20
Old 08-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #3

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yuuup!
The armless awnings are suppose to have this windy/auto retract feature
The older models with the side arms, like my ‘17, do not

So I assume that yours is an ‘18, ‘19, or ‘20
Yes, a '19. I am surprised that Thor doesn't play this up in their literature. It's a nice feature!
Old 08-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I agree

The sensor must be built into it on all armless awnings
If the awning vibrates too much, the auto close feature turns on

Now that you know you have it, you can probably test it’s auto retract operation with a gentle nudge up and down
Old 08-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Although the awning may retract automatically, I would not completely rely on this feature if a storm approaches or the wind starts to kick up.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
I got caught in a wind front that came 15 minutes before a wicked downpour and had the awning out. The awning tried to retract, but caught too much wind to be able to pull it in. With the gusts battering us, it started whipping the awning/sail up and down pretty violently. So much so, I moved the picnic table over, stood on top and grabbed the main bar to steady it. Eventually, in between bursts and with someone holding down the retract button, the motors were able to engage enough to pull it in.

Thankfully, no damage done other than making the awning hang lower (6.5’ off the ground). I now have learned how to adjust Colorado Carefree awnings. It’s back to original height, with a nice 6” drop towards the back for run-off.

So, lesson learned. I’m not afraid of breezy days like most of my friends. But if it even looks like a storm’s a-brew-in,—in goes my awning.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #7

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrimmer View Post
Although the awning may retract automatically, I would not completely rely on this feature if a storm approaches or the wind starts to kick up.
Why? What could go wrong???
Old 08-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #8

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
I got caught in a wind front that came 15 minutes before a wicked downpour and had the awning out. The awning tried to retract, but caught too much wind to be able to pull it in. With the gusts battering us, it started whipping the awning/sail up and down pretty violently. So much so, I moved the picnic table over, stood on top and grabbed the main bar to steady it. Eventually, in between bursts and with someone holding down the retract button, the motors were able to engage enough to pull it in.

Thankfully, no damage done other than making the awning hang lower (6.5’ off the ground). I now have learned how to adjust Colorado Carefree awnings. It’s back to original height, with a nice 6” drop towards the back for run-off.

So, lesson learned. I’m not afraid of breezy days like most of my friends. But if it even looks like a storm’s a-brew-in,—in goes my awning.
Yeah, not good. Luckily for you, it wasn't at 2 AM! Hopefully, this is set at its highest sensitivity to pull in early. I'd rather have a few false positives than what you went through.