Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2017, 12:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #8940
Solar prewire

Where do the cables end inside the unit ?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm wondering the same thing...
(2018 Outlaw 29H)
Nobody has been able to give us an answer...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
Not sure about a MH....but ours terminated at a metal electrical junction box in the belly storage right next to our battery compartment in our fifth wheel.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
I'm still awaiting our unit, but I'd be interested in where are they on the outside? Roof or somewhere else...
Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Model: 38RSSA MS
State: Washington
THOR #5214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
I'm still awaiting our unit, but I'd be interested in where are they on the outside? Roof or somewhere else...
Again....on our 5th wheel - they tucked ours inside a vent pipe capped on the roof.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #6

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Usually in the battery compartment. Maybe in a box, probably not.

Bill
Old 08-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Like an Easter Egg hunt, lol
Old 08-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's a goo way to look at it!!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 AM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfoaas View Post

In my Qauntum that are by inverter and CB box.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #10

THOR #8813
[QUOTE=carlgorski;85442]In my Qauntum they are by CB box. Panel under bedQUOTE]
Old 09-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
On my Four Winds 31Y, on the roof there are two MC4 connectors into a waterproof cable entry plate. The wires terminate under the dinette seat, (behind the 120v breaker panel), as part of the right side wiring harness. They are an orange/black wire and white #10 wire, coiled together. There is enough wire to go through the cable entry hole in the floor to the storage compartment next to the batteries.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Orange/Black, & White? Thanks!
This gives us a starting point for our search.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #8058
Solar Wires

I have a 2018 Chateau 24F, THe wires are in the driver's side electrical cord compartment. They run from an electrical type box up thru a conduit to the roof where there is a covered outlet like the water outside connection.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 34P
THOR #9002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfoaas View Post
2018 Windsport 34P: mine were under the bed as well. An orange wire with a white wire with no label and not tied into anything. At least they match the colors of the wires that are on the roof.

Now to figure out how to connect them to the battery. Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:00 AM   #15

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbNYThor View Post
2018 Windsport 34P: mine were under the bed as well. An orange wire with a white wire with no label and not tied into anything. At least they match the colors of the wires that are on the roof.

Now to figure out how to connect them to the battery. Any suggestions?

I guess Thor means solar ready to junction box. Did you find any wires to battery area?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 34P
THOR #9002
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
I guess Thor means solar ready to junction box. Did you find any wires to battery area?
There isn't anything solely to go from the charge controller to the battery. The compartment they come into contains the wires coming from the battery that eventually get to the fuse box so I'm wondering if there's something I can tie into.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 07-28-2018, 12:41 AM   #18

State: Kansas
THOR #2277
I am also looking for mine.. Solar Ready wire terminations from roof.

So, on my new 2018 37GP, it is solar ready. It looks like an MC4 on the roof and the drawing that Thor sent me alone with a chat with the dealer, says it is near my entrance door, on the bathroom wall (possibly near) the roof or near all the main battery disconnect, or step control switch.

Upon inspection, I don't find anything.. except a COAX cable. I verified it, but turning on all the TV, and unplugging the cable that the coax was jump to.. all my tv lost signal... thus I assume it is from the antennae.

No other cable I can see except 110 power that seems to go to a GFCI plug in the bath.

I thought I would get sneaky and put a wire toner on the MC4 connector on the roof, after I test to make sure that it was not live... then I ran around the wall on the outside with the toner receiver end... nothing. I tried up on the roof near where the diagram has shown and where the dealer suggested it was.. no luck. I started to move around the roof "from inside" and through the whole roof it was on and off, faint tone and non at all.. it was random.. possibly interference with something else.. but the done was there...

I tried on the roof.. no luck either. I only get really high tone, about 2-4 feet in diameter away from where I plug the toner. My worry is that if it was like my radio GPS.. that darn Solar cable is still rolled up and wire tied in a loop.

My Radio kept dropping GPS or not having any.. it was always telling me I was in the side road, and sometime just not work. Upon inspection, the GPS was plugged in behind the radio, but so was the whole GPS puck.. all still rolled up and wired tied under the radio. I unwrapped it and move it toward the window and now it work.

Same was with my AM/FM radio in the garage.. I could not get my NPR, so finally looked behind and it was the same.. the whole 4-6ft of wire was nicely wire tied in spool about 2 inchs in the wall.

Too bad it seems to be this type of workers in the whole industry.. maybe something will happen from the Chinese RV industry.. it might should like it would be cheap, it can't be any worst.. just bad manuals... who cares.. we custom our coaches as soon as we get it here anyway... all the saving could do into customizing or pulling our own solar cables...etc..

Still searching for the factory cables as of now.. hope we all find it.

Hobbicam..
Old 07-28-2018, 01:51 AM   #19

THOR #8813
Mine the wires from roof went down to power panel area. I had to run my own wires to Batteries. I also found a bad connection on one of the wires. Also as they come down to panel they are reversed from roof. + is - and - is +. I found were they got them crossed. Another fine Thor quality job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbicam View Post
I am also looking for mine.. Solar Ready wire terminations from roof.

So, on my new 2018 37GP, it is solar ready. It looks like an MC4 on the roof and the drawing that Thor sent me alone with a chat with the dealer, says it is near my entrance door, on the bathroom wall (possibly near) the roof or near all the main battery disconnect, or step control switch.

Upon inspection, I don't find anything.. except a COAX cable. I verified it, but turning on all the TV, and unplugging the cable that the coax was jump to.. all my tv lost signal... thus I assume it is from the antennae.

No other cable I can see except 110 power that seems to go to a GFCI plug in the bath.

I thought I would get sneaky and put a wire toner on the MC4 connector on the roof, after I test to make sure that it was not live... then I ran around the wall on the outside with the toner receiver end... nothing. I tried up on the roof near where the diagram has shown and where the dealer suggested it was.. no luck. I started to move around the roof "from inside" and through the whole roof it was on and off, faint tone and non at all.. it was random.. possibly interference with something else.. but the done was there...

I tried on the roof.. no luck either. I only get really high tone, about 2-4 feet in diameter away from where I plug the toner. My worry is that if it was like my radio GPS.. that darn Solar cable is still rolled up and wire tied in a loop.

My Radio kept dropping GPS or not having any.. it was always telling me I was in the side road, and sometime just not work. Upon inspection, the GPS was plugged in behind the radio, but so was the whole GPS puck.. all still rolled up and wired tied under the radio. I unwrapped it and move it toward the window and now it work.

Same was with my AM/FM radio in the garage.. I could not get my NPR, so finally looked behind and it was the same.. the whole 4-6ft of wire was nicely wire tied in spool about 2 inchs in the wall.

Too bad it seems to be this type of workers in the whole industry.. maybe something will happen from the Chinese RV industry.. it might should like it would be cheap, it can't be any worst.. just bad manuals... who cares.. we custom our coaches as soon as we get it here anyway... all the saving could do into customizing or pulling our own solar cables...etc..

Still searching for the factory cables as of now.. hope we all find it.

Hobbicam..
Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #20

State: Massachusetts
THOR #14311
Outlaw 29H solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm wondering the same thing...
(2018 Outlaw 29H)
Nobody has been able to give us an answer...

Did you ever find out about the 29H and solar? We are getting ready to buy a 2018 29H and are curious about solar.

Chip