Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Some ACE questions

Ok, since I've recently jumped ship from the Vegas to an ACE on my order, I find myself with some questions. A few things I forgot to look at when I checked out the 30.3 floor plan before switching my order to it.

So, here goes:

1. Where is the generator exhaust on the 30.3. On the Vegas and class C's, you always see an exhaust pipe sticking out. I had planned to look closer for it when I was checking it out at Camping World but it was a 100* and after multiple trips back inside and being drenched in sweat, I forgot.

2. While the holding tanks are supposed to be in heated compartments (vs. heating pads on the Vegas), I noticed there are water lines running through the storage compartments feeding the outdoor kitchen (the storage compartment to the right of the outdoor kitchen at minimum). Is there furnace heat blown into the compartments with exposed water pipes (pex tubing) or only where the holding tanks are? If they aren't heated, is there an accessible inside point where a shutoff valve for the outside sink can be installed and disabled in winter months?

3. When you get the 50amp service and second AC unit, am I correct that you lose the attic fan in the bedroom?

4. Is there any HDMI video distribution to TVs? The Vegas had a couple cabinets (one over sink and one over bed I believe) with HDMI cables that fed TVs. I'm going to want to hook up a media streamer and had hoped to do one and not one per TV as we will rarely, if ever, need to watch different things on different TVs.

5. I know in the wet bay where the water pump is, in a Thor video I watched the rep mentioned an air hookup. Is that used to blow out the lines when winterizing or for something else (it was right above the water filter)?

6. Anyone found a good, simple way to install a Sirius Antenna on the inside (like in that cave man brow over the window) without running a wire outside?

7. Last thing I can think of is about the door lock. After reading far too many "locked out of my Vegas" posts due to the plastic piece in the lock breaking, I had already decided to either buy the upgraded version with metal innards or one of the electronic locks if they are reliable. Does the ACE have the same flimsy plastic parts on the inside of the lock? Is there a good replacement mechanical or electronic lock?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I will try to answer several of your questions - All ACE, Hurricanes and Windsports are built in Plant 750 by the same people and designed by the same engineers. My generator is on the left side just behind the propane tank (third door on the left). The exhaust pipe is under the jack hydraulic compartment just behind the left front wheel.

My water tanks is on the right just behind the battery compartment. The tank line has drain and air fittings. The line can also be isolated from the tank to allow the pump to suck antifreeze into the waterlines. That compartment is heated. The water pump is under the kitchen sink. All water lines on the right are above the floor in the chase with the heater ducts. The city water entry and coach water lines are above the gray water tank in a heated area. The bathroom water lines are above the floor. The outside shower above the floor.

Yes, the traditional location for the second A/C is in the bedroom, but it can replace the living room vent fan on special order. The wiring chases accommodate A/Cs in all three locations but the standard wiring doesn't.

TMC routes HDMI cables to all installed TVs from a common equipment cubby. In my case that is over the refrigerator. A box with many buttons (video switch - 2x4) is also provided. RG-6 via a splitter is supplied to each TV from external source or roof mounted antenna.

Don't know about Sirius, but the roof is TPO with poly insulation and aluminum ribs. GPS signals get through anywhere in the coach as does WiFi and cell.

TMC uses the same door latch through most of their lines. They are cast zinc and can fail at any time. The manufacturer (Trimark) did redesign the latch mechanism. The old latch number is 060-650 the new number is 060-1650.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

THOR #8012
Does anyone know that height of the roof, not counting the AC units and fan cover? I'm trying to hid it from view from the street. I have a retaining wall (it will be parked on the low side) and need to put a fence on top of wall. I'm ok if a bit of the AC units show, but want to make sure the main body/roof of the ACE is hidden.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Does anyone know that height of the roof, not counting the AC units and fan cover? I'm trying to hid it from view from the street. I have a retaining wall (it will be parked on the low side) and need to put a fence on top of wall. I'm ok if a bit of the AC units show, but want to make sure the main body/roof of the ACE is hidden.
go to Thor website all info is there

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Most ACEs are 12'2" to the top of the AC on the wheels and suspension. If you level it add a few inches.

Although ACEs, etc are built at the same plant on the same chassis there are interior differences. There is no HDMI distribution in my 2016 ACE, only a single HDMI cable from the living area TV on one side of the coach to the cabinet on the opposite side where I have installed a BluRay player.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Sirius

Another member posted that he put his Sirius XM antenna on top of the drop down bunk over the drivers area and it worked great. I know that just laying the little antenna on the dash only works well when facing south. I attached ours to one of the inside magnets used for our Magneshades at the top of the windshield of our Axis. The coach is facing north right now and it seems to work.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #7

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
go to Thor website all info is there
They list the height including the AC unit, I was trying to find the height to the roof itself, excluding the height of the AC unit.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
They list the height including the AC unit, I was trying to find the height to the roof itself, excluding the height of the AC unit.
If you can find the specs on the AC, it should have its height. Subtract. Or find another owner and ask them to measure the height of the AC.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Figure a foot for the AC height.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Per the Thor website the ACE is 12'-2", that would be to the top of the AC cover.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Figure a foot for the AC height.
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the unit was taller than that. So probably something like 11' 2" give or take to the roof and then 12' 2" to the top of the AC units.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #12

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Most ACEs are 12'2" to the top of the AC on the wheels and suspension. If you level it add a few inches.

Although ACEs, etc are built at the same plant on the same chassis there are interior differences. There is no HDMI distribution in my 2016 ACE, only a single HDMI cable from the living area TV on one side of the coach to the cabinet on the opposite side where I have installed a BluRay player.
That's kind of what I was thinking based on the fact they call out HDMI distribution as a feature on the Windsport/Hurricane, but not on the ACE.

It does say the 2018 comes with a Blu Ray player. There was a small pioneer unit (I think it was Pioneer), above the fridge or a cabinet in that vicinity. I didn't look close, but assumed that was the Blu Ray player, but wasn't sure if that was only hooked to the living room TV or all three.