Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #8022
slide out question Miramar 34.3

I had an issue with the large slide out and it came up as a code 5 which is suppose to be a short somewhere . The slide would only go out 8 to 10 inches .
I took it in and they said all it needed was to be aligned. It has been working ok but my question is I have to press the button twice to get it to go out or come in and yet the small bed room slide I just press the button and it goes in and out . I really do not know if it did or did not work at the first press of the button before the realignment was done . Anyone got any comments ?
Thanks

Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I have an issue with my bedroom slide. I seem to have to reset the controller often, and never have touched the controller for the living room slide. That being said, I normally have to press the extend/retract button twice to get them to move.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Usually my 34.2 extends and retracts without an issue, but there are times when it just stops and I have to press the button again.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #4

THOR #8022
Thanks all for the comments , I called the slide out tech,s and they said to check to see if the 12volt signal is at the controller at the first push of the button . If it is getting the 12volt signal then there should be an error code flashing on the red light . I am going to bring it out in a couple of weeks and set it up and get my son to come over and we will see what is going on at the controller . The slide does seem to work fine except for me having to press the button twice . I will post what I fine out .
Thanks
Milo
Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
I have to press the slide extend button twice for both my slides. Since you are getting the code 5 it is different, but here is what I have observed so it may help you.

As soon as you apply power to the coach (either plug in to shore power or turn house power switch on) you should see an error code on the slide controller.

The first time you press the slide extend/retract button it clears the error code (Lippert documentation in both the In Wall Owners Manual and In-Wall Slide-Out Troubleshooting "When an error code is present, the board needs to be reset. Energizing the extend/retract switch (Fig. 1) resets the board. Energize the extend/retract switch again for normal operation."). The interesting thing I have seen is once I clear the error, it does not reapper until the power to the coach is removed, applied, removed again and applied again (two times). The first time removing power and re-applying it does not present the error.

Both of my controllers are displaying 1 green and 9 red flashes = motor 1 Hall Power Short to Ground. Thor thinks the issue is both controllers are probably grounded to the same lug on the chassis and it is loose, the only reason it would be both controllers. The dealer has already replaced motor 1 and wiring harness on one slide which did not fix it. I also swapped the wiring harness for motor 1 and motor 2 and when I put power back it is still giving the code for motor 1 so this tells me it is not actually the motor or wiring harness.

I emailed Lippert at warranty@lci1.com and described my problem and got the most helpful information from them so far within a few hours. Their suggestion for troubleshooting was this:
The best way to test this system is to operate the slide. What code is flashing? Write down that code. Swap the motor harnesses from Motor 1 to Motor 2 and Motor 2 to Motor 1. Operate the slide again. Does the code change? No? Replace the controller or check for faulty grounds. Yes? Continuity tests on harness. Does it pass? NO, replace harness. Yes? Replace the slide out motor as there is an issue with the sensor on the top of the motor or the wires pulled out of the motor.

Good Luck.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not sure if this is relative to your slides but...I had this happen just once...had to push button twice to get it to extend. The new 3 Track requires you to hold the button 3-5 seconds after the slide has fully retracted or extended. Each time, this resets and re-syncs the motors. Initially I was afraid to continue holding button...previous life with TT cable system...but haven't had the issue since. They say...whoever "They" is, that not performing this will cause motors to not sync...thus giving error codes. Maybe this helps...it worked for me.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #7

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Not sure if this is relative to your slides but...I had this happen just once...had to push button twice to get it to extend. The new 3 Track requires you to hold the button 3-5 seconds after the slide has fully retracted or extended. Each time, this resets and re-syncs the motors. Initially I was afraid to continue holding button...previous life with TT cable system...but haven't had the issue since. They say...whoever "They" is, that not performing this will cause motors to not sync...thus giving error codes. Maybe this helps...it worked for me.

We bought our 2015 Chateau 33SW used earlier this year. Of all the research I was doing, I found out about the 3Trax and having to hold the switch a few seconds after full extension to re-sync the controller. I had an issue one time - slide would go part way out then one end would stop. Turns out the leveling jacks were out of sync. Once I pulled them up, the slide worked just fine. Something to keep in the back of your mind.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #8

THOR #8022
slide issue

Thanks to all for the input and if you have run some of the tests mentioned Pls let me know your findings. So far I have just lived with pushing the switch twice and the big slide out then works fine but I sure would not want to be stuck trying to get it in by hand if it would stop working.
Milo