Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by One fat one View Post
I have a hurricane I just bought used I bought the Roadmaster and have a tire but I haven't been able to find the 19.5" wheel anywhere so did you guys that have one go to ford ?
Try <http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-oe.php> about 1/3 the price from Ford.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Not really worried about the compartment door, but the ones I have seen, with the tire mounted extend up too high for the slide to clear. Is there something out there I haven't seen?
Here is a concept that looks similar to Roadmaster, but smaller and cheaper. It may work for someone wanting to keep tire low to stay under rear slide, and also swing to side to provide access to rear storage door. Dimensions would have to be checked of course.

Being a small shop, they say they can customize -- which would be a good idea to optimize clearances. Tire in picture is fairly large by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5224.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	5412  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #43

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I like that! It is closer to what I was looking for before I bought the Roadmaster. I even asked Roadmaster and a few local shops about fabricating. Does this one include provision for pulling a trailer or adding a cargo carrier? Notwithstanding, I am very pleased with the Roadmaster.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #44

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I like that! It is closer to what I was looking for before I bought the Roadmaster. I even asked Roadmaster and a few local shops about fabricating. Does this one include provision for pulling a trailer or adding a cargo carrier? Notwithstanding, I am very pleased with the Roadmaster.
As far as I can tell from their website, it does not. But as covered previously, a dual receiver attachment can be added easily so one supports wheel and other tows, etc...

Like I said, I built my own fixed wheel carrier so I don't really know how well these hold up. It looks well thought out though. It's got anti-rock built-in which should help make it more theft deterrent.

The company seems to specialize on (Jeep ????) off-road, so bolt pattern for RV wheel would need revision, or made adjustable like on Roadmaster.

KnuckleBone Tire Carrier
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5221.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	5414  
Old 06-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #45

THOR #2121
The upper part that is adjustable for different wheel dish could be eliminated completely, making it lighter, stronger, and cheaper to make. RV and truck "dually" wheels have enough offset built-in that they can be bolted to a flat surface.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5226.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	5415  
Old 06-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #46

Model: Four Winds 22e
State: Virginia
THOR #7211
This mount looks great, but because I have so much unused space between the chassis frame, I am really looking for a way to mount the spare there. Besides, I like the clean look of the rear of my RV without the spare hanging out there.
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
iDrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #47

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDrive55 View Post
I found a perfect place to mount a spare on my 22e. This is behind the fuel tank. I am thinking that a Ford spare tire hoist would work nicely.

I'll be interested to learn how you do this. I thought I could use that space on mine but it turned out to be more complicated and expensive than I was willing to do. Not impossible but...complicated
Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #48

Model: Quantum GR22
State: California
THOR #8027
Tire size Ford 450

What's the difference between a TL225/75R16 tire and a TL225/75R16e tire? Does the E make a difference?
Old 06-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #49

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoLucas View Post
What's the difference between a TL225/75R16 tire and a TL225/75R16e tire? Does the E make a difference?
It's LT, as in light truck.

The E just adds more information, which is the load range; and there is a high probability that LT225/75R16 is probably "E" rated, which in this case means it can be inflated up to 80 PSI so it can carry more load.

Years ago I had a small Class C motorhome that had same size LT225/75R16 but were "D" rated. The maximum pressure was 65 PSI, thus maximum load rating was lower.

I haven't seen a D rated tire in some time. I expect most retailers stock the E rated; but I'm just speculating.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #50

THOR #8027
Thanks! I have seen a lot of Ford E-450 rims for sale on the internet for as little as $70. Why not get one of those for a spare tire instead of paying $750 for a genuine Ford rim?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #51

THOR #8027
Also, I haven't seen anyone suggest simply bolting a traditional spare tire holder to the back of their Class C coach, just like in the old days. I've also seen spare tire holders that bolt on to the back bumper.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #52

THOR #2121
Quote:
Also, I haven't seen anyone suggest simply bolting a traditional spare tire holder to the back of their Class C coach, just like in the old days. I've also seen spare tire holders that bolt on to the back bumper.
It's not just in the old days; some companies are still doing it.

I've mentioned it a few times in other threads because my Class C Coachman was like that and it worked fine -- never had a problem except having to replace the tire cover when it fell apart. Most of the Cruise America Cs I've rented also had a spare bolted to rear wall.

I think appearance tastes change over time, and maybe people don't like that look as much anymore. And even if they did, it's not as easy an install as a receiver tire carrier. You have to be able to find a suitable mount, willing to drill holes in RV, have access to back side of wall inside RV to bolt where they don't show (not always the case), and know where wall framing is located and that it's strong enough. It's a lot more involved.

I'm OK with the way it looks, particularly when a hard-sided tire cover is used like on this expensive 2017 Born Free.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5242.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5485  
Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #53

THOR #6826
Quote:
Thanks! I have seen a lot of Ford E-450 rims for sale on the internet for as little as $70. Why not get one of those for a spare tire instead of paying $750 for a genuine Ford rim?

I bought a "reconditioned " Ford wheel from Wheels and Caps online for $54. Looks like new.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #54

THOR #6826
Quote:

Thor offers such a bolted back wall mount as an option on some or all class c's. hoping that the support structure was already inside the wall I contacted Thor about this. Alas, they told me that it cannot be added after purchase. It has to be ordered that way. If I ever order one I'd certainly include this logical option.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #55

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
One of the problems with truck rims is they are only 6" wide and made for 225/70-19.5 tires. The F-53 uses 19.5x6.75 rims to accommodate the wider 245/70-19.5 tires which have a heavier load capacity. Using 6" wide rims with the 245/70-19.5 will cause the dual tires to rub and they will soon disintegrate.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #56

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Beau388,

That is good to know info.

We currently have the Vegas with the 16" rims (and a spare), but have been thinking of going bigger in 3 years.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #57

THOR #8027
Has anyone had any luck with the Adnik undercarriage spare tire carrier.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #58
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It's LT, as in light truck.

The E just adds more information, which is the load range; and there is a high probability that LT225/75R16 is probably "E" rated, which in this case means it can be inflated up to 80 PSI so it can carry more load.

Years ago I had a small Class C motorhome that had same size LT225/75R16 but were "D" rated. The maximum pressure was 65 PSI, thus maximum load rating was lower.

I haven't seen a D rated tire in some time. I expect most retailers stock the E rated; but I'm just speculating.
Most travel trailer tires are load D and run at 50 PSI.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #59

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Most travel trailer tires are load D and run at 50 PSI.
It appeared he was asking about light truck tires. I don't know much about trailer tires, but would have expected same load range versus max PSI designation to avoid confusion. For light trucks 50 PSI max pressure rating would be associated with Load Range C, which I expect has become increasingly rare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5247.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	5489  
Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #60

State: Colorado
THOR #6773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Not really worried about the compartment door, but the ones I have seen, with the tire mounted extend up too high for the slide to clear. Is there something out there I haven't seen?
Is there any opportunity to carry a spare mounted in front - on some sort of front bumper mount? I don't find anything specific to our Ford Transit chassis - perhaps it's too new.

Tags
flats, roadside assistance, spare tire