Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Cold Weather Driving?

Having been away from RVs for almost 10 years, I'd forgotten that my biggest complaint about the two Tiffins gassers that I owned was how I almost froze driving them in New England in the winter. At that point in time, the DW refused to leave for warmer climes until after Christmas, so around the 28th or 29th of December, I'd find myself behind the wheel of an RV, wrapped in a blanket, running down I-95, with my fingers and toes imitating ice cubes.

The firewall on those motorhomes let the air in like they were made from cheesecloth. And now I'm wondering if my new to me Vegas is going to do the same thing? Any of you guys out there from northern states have any experience with this?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I drove our Axis from MI to FL and back in December. Yeah the front lets some air in, but that big ol V-10 gets plenty toasty. Didn't have an issue with cold temps.

If you are really cold you can run the furnace too (you probably don't want to waste the propane though). Another solution that may work in a pinch is a small electric heater and run the genny.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Jamie,

What you say is encouraging. I've tried both of your tips in the past. In fact there was once when I had to put an electric heater on the dash to keep the windshield clear.

The times I really had problems where when the temperature was down in the single digits. One year it didn't get above zero until we were south of New Jersey.

Our situation is different now and we leave Maine in September or October and don't come back until April or May. So I shouldn't ever have to face those kinds of cold. But things change.

Tags
vegas, weather tightness, winter driving