Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrver2 View Post
... I want to wait until I can get the "toad" car hooked up so they can set it up with that weight already attached.
It's a steering link arm shock absorber with a center bias. Typically RTC adjustment is for road not toad.

Trying to follow the logic ... and have to ask why?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #22

Model: A.C.E 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #3982
Stability Control

Well, from what I have heard from others, they claim that most smaller motorhomes handle differently when pulling a towcar than when they are being driven without one. Have you heard of the "Tail wagging the Dog" syndrome? My last MH was a 38ft Diesel Pusher and I never even noticed that the towcar was back there but this is my first experience with a small class A.

Regards!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrver2
Well, from what I have heard from others, they claim that most smaller motorhomes handle differently when pulling a towcar than when they are being driven without one. Have you heard of the "Tail wagging the Dog" syndrome? My last MH was a 38ft Diesel Pusher and I never even noticed that the towcar was back there but this is my first experience with a small class A.

Regards!
We can't feel the car behind our 25 ft E-350 I doubt you'll have any issues behind your almost 30ft F-53 chassis.

Also note that your motorhome likely weighs in at least 2x the weight of whatever you are going to tow. (At 11,000+ lbs our camper is almost 3x the weight of the 3800 lb car we tow+dolly.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Consider trac-bar as defense against tail wag. A steering stabilizer doesn't fix wag but increased dampening can help reduce a drivers tendency to overcorrect it.

Toad movements induce and amplify wag. My last motorhome came with a trac-bar and adding one to our current little Axis solved tail wag from a heavy bobbly jeep.