Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Super Cs are we having fun yet?

There was not much in the forum about Thor's Chateau or Four Winds 35 footers. How are you liking yours?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 AM   #2
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
We're starting to enjoy our 35sk, spent a week at thor factory service center a couple weeks ago, stopped in Erie Pa. took out the cloth seats installed full control leather. How about you?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edk View Post
We're starting to enjoy our 35sk, spent a week at thor factory service center a couple weeks ago, stopped in Erie Pa. took out the cloth seats installed full control leather. How about you?

Actually we are still waiting for our 35SD. We ordered it early June and are being told it's in preproduction expected to go online Sept 5th, maybe we'll see it end of September. How was your factory visit?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
We have nothing bad to say about our 35SK Four Winds. We've had our share of minor things to repair, but who hasn't? Outside of that we love the MH. It is a dream to drive, very comfortable to drive and is easy on my not so good back.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'm jealous, does that count?
I sure would like to have the F-550 of my rv's house.... I guess they discontinued it. Too bad, it was a good floor plan. I think it was the SK. As far as I could tell it fixed all the issues with the 31L (and there aren't many)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm jealous, does that count?

I sure would like to have the F-550 of my rv's house.... I guess they discontinued it. Too bad, it was a good floor plan. I think it was the SK. As far as I could tell it fixed all the issues with the 31L (and there aren't many)

You have issues with your 31L? We love ours.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #7

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
You have issues with your 31L? We love ours.
oh, I've had plenty of issues....but regarding the floorplan design we love ours too! We still think it's hands down the best floor plan offered in the class, then or now. They don't have anything now that compares apparently. I haven't seen anything we like more from any other manufacturers either.

The issues I meant that would be "fixed" with the F-550 include
- rear axle overloaded with a "normal" load aboard
- waste tanks a good bit smaller than I'd like, especially the grey
- 5000# hitch, not enough to tow any of our cars. really not enough even to tow a 4 door Jeep.

and I've gotta believe that the F-550 adds
- a more comfortable cab
- better drive handling
- king bed
- and perhaps better fuel economy

More on topic to the thread.... here's a question to you F-550 owners
what sort of fuel economy do you see?

With my E-450 the average is roughly 7-1/2 MPG. 8 on a good day, down hill with a stiff wind at our back....if we're lucky
I wonder if the diesel gets good enough to better that, when adjusting for the higher fuel cost per gallon
Old 08-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Edk

THOR #7856
We're getting 9+ with our f 550, towing a 2 door Wrangler. We've only got about 5k on her. Hope to see improvement but I doubt it.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Edk

THOR #7856
Never went into the factory, the service warranty center is right across the street that's where we were.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #10

THOR #908
Quote:
We're getting 9+ with our f 550, towing a 2 door Wrangler. We've only got about 5k on her. Hope to see improvement but I doubt it.
Ok, so if that 9MPG truly a good average to use and not a best case number....
and based on the current fuel prices posted online for the TA truck stop just down the road for me
You would burn approx 11.11 gallons over a 100 mile trip x 2.699/gallon for a cost of approx $29.99
I would burn approx 13.33 gallons over that same 100 miles x 2.299/gallon for a cost of approx $30.65
I have no idea how much DEF you'd require so I can't compensate for that
but those numbers are you towing and me not.
Now I know theoretically at least that towing has only a very small to negligible impact, but still
I think it safe to say at least anecdotally that we are very close to a draw for fuel costs.... with you in the F-550 likely nudging ahead for a win

maybe not a huge advantage for diesels, once factoring in what I understand to be more expensive oil changes, etc... but still, very interesting!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I don't have a Ford motorhome, but tow a large 5th wheel with the diesel getting between 8.5 & 11.0 mpg, usually average 10.5 & wouldn't think of doing it with a gas engine regardless of fuel cost, the power & torque of a diesel make all the difference .
If you got your fuel averages from a TA truck they along with ALL the other truck stops are usually 20 cents or more higher than anywhere else off the highway. As far as oil changes you get one every 3-5k on your gas engine, my diesel is 10k or once a year & cost $60-80 depending where it's done.
Also if you have a 5000lb hitch, that's 500lb tongue weight, it should tow a Jeep 4 down as it would only add minimal hitch weight provided you don't go over the tow capacity of the rv, which it should be more than a 3800-4000lb Jeep.
In my opinion, at least for me, they could sell a lot more class Cs & As if they offered more diesel options. Tiffin used to offer a FRED, front end diesel, & for some reason didn't last but a couple years. I had the V10 Ford's at work & they'd pass everything except a gas station & personally skipped buying several class As because they only came with the Ford V10.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans
I had the V10 Ford's at work & they'd pass everything except a gas station & personally skipped buying several class As because they only came with the Ford V10.
Ah but the class A's and C's with the V-10 include a big gas tank. Our Axis has 55 gals--easily go 500 miles on a tank. So, no we pass up a lot of gas stations along the way but when we do stop....we're there a while LOL.

My two Super Duty pickups with V-10s: yeah when towing you go about 200 miles due to the 25 gal tank. Good stop for a stretch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #13

THOR #908
yep, I don't have a problem passing stations either. The mileage differential just isn't big enough for that to be a deciding factor on its own, offsetting for fuel prices.
Honestly, the V-10 does ok in the hills too. Not great, true enough, but I'm not racing...so that isn't such a big deal to me either.
It's all about cargo and towing for me, and why I wish I had a diesel.

Based on the research I've done, depending on how equipped, a 4 door jeep can sneak in just under that 5,000# number...but not by much. Add in normal weight adds and it seems like they're a bit too close to the limit for serious consideration. Ditto my wife's Buick Enclave.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The 5000# simply reflects the vintage of the coach as all new Thor's now come with an 8000# hitch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #15

THOR #908
oh now that is interesting! I didn't know they upped the hitches on the newer models
looks like the GVWR is still the same though, so the rear axles are likely the same rating.....
Any idea if they changed anything other than the hitch? Is the frame beefed up any?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #16

THOR #8439
Quote:

I wonder if a new performance air filter would help? I see that K&N has one to fit. http://www.knfiltres.com/search/prod...px?prod=E-0644

Mike Wenzel
Old 08-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #17

THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
We have nothing bad to say about our 35SK Four Winds. We've had our share of minor things to repair, but who hasn't? Outside of that we love the MH. It is a dream to drive, very comfortable to drive and is easy on my not so good back.

Just wondering if you can notice any sway on the road?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
Edk

THOR #7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
Just wondering if you can notice any sway on the road?
Not from the F550, used to with E450 Winnie, sometimes the road your on has lot to do with it.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 35SD Super C
State: Virginia
THOR #5016
We are enjoying our 2017 35SD and have been getting 9.8 mpg towing a Ford pickup. 10 mpg without towing. There have not been any swaying issues.
Blue Ox tow bar w/ 2015 Ford F150
Clamfritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #20

THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamfritter View Post
We are enjoying our 2017 35SD and have been getting 9.8 mpg towing a Ford pickup. 10 mpg without towing. There have not been any swaying issues.

Great!