Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
t.v. doesn't work on digital cable

Found out the TVs in my axis do not work with digital signal Cable Systems as anyone else ran into this problem

Old 09-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I am going to assume you have Seiki tv's. Make sure you have antenna booster off. Depending on the type of cable service the campground has Seiki tv's don't like to work. There are many threads about this problem on the forum and a lot of owners are switching out their tv and installing another brand. Shame Thor had to put such a poor tv in our coaches! I'm in the process of changing my tvs one at a time.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
There are several things to consider:
If you are trying to connect to a cable that encrypts their signal (e.g. Comcast's Xfinity) nothing but their cable box will work.

If you are talking about hooking up to a cable at an RV park:
The Seiki TV in the 25.2 only works on some of the cables because the TV only supports the technology used for over the air transmission called ATSC. Some of the newer cables use a technology called QAM. Your TV can not support that.

Your options are to either switch out the TVs to ones that support both ATSC and QAM OR buy a converter box. The TVs are available at the big box stores for about $170. I found a converter box online for about $45 that has HDMI out.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
QAM is the coded digital cable signal that you would receive for Verizon as an example. In order to decode that cable signal, you need a QAM capable tuner in your TV. Some Seiki models have a QAM tuner, but many do not. The two Seikis I have in my 2015 Vegas do not have the QAM tuner so it will not decode a cable signal like that in Disney's Fort Wilderness.

I have a Saikyo TV in the bedroom and that has a QAM tuner so it is able to decode the cable signal at Fort Wilderness and we usually get around 92 channels.

The Seikis work fine in RV parks that have a centralized Dish system. They have scanned cable channels in all military FAMCAMPs, Hershey Park Campgrounds, and several other commercial privately owned parks.

The key for the Seikis is they will not decode an encoded cable signal. They scan fine when the cable system is not encoded.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
My Samsung gets a great HD digital cable picture, but those channels have no audio. Has awesome HD picture with the antenna. We've only had 1-2 parks with digital cable, the rest may have regular cable & it's usually like their WiFi, marginal at best, we generally use the antenna whether they have cable or not.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #6

THOR #3992
Yes I have Seiki t.v's SHAME on Thor for putting outdated equipment in our coaches Cheap just like the way they built Them I have had multiple I mean multiple warranty issues with mine Seems like it's one thing after another with these people I really love the axis I just wish I wasn't having all the trouble with it Does anyone know how the TVs come off the wall I called thor I got another service rep that laughed and said if you come off several different waysI really didn't know And they built it Thanks everyone a little discouraged this was a lot of money for me Now I have to buy more TVs
Old 09-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Yes I have Seiki t.v's SHAME on Thor for putting outdated equipment in our coaches Cheap just like the way they built Them I have had multiple I mean multiple warranty issues with mine Seems like it's one thing after another with these people I really love the axis I just wish I wasn't having all the trouble with it Does anyone know how the TVs come off the wall I called thor I got another service rep that laughed and said if you come off several different waysI really didn't know And they built it Thanks everyone a little discouraged this was a lot of money for me Now I have to buy more TVs
There are converters available that will take any type cable (or over the air)
TV signal signal including QAM and convert it to HDMI. I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are are some disadvantages. You need one per TV and it has its own remote.

Ken

P.S. Now that I have it , I've yet to find a system I need it for.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Cowboy: To remove TVs:

Above Entry Door -- it is held on with straps and you do not have to remove the trim. There are two straps that are tucked up behind the bottom of the TV. You pull the straps down to release the TV from the bracket.

Outside TV -- held in by two brackets attached to the back of the TV. You can see the ends of the mounting brackets above and below the TV. Removing the 8 screws allows the TV to be removed. Be sure to hold the TV in place when removing the screws from the last 2 bracket ends. It is plugged in under the stove. You'll need to remove drawers to gain access.

Bedroom TV -- This is the one that is a bear. (Thanks to DocMike for this description) with a long stem Philips Head (magnetized tip would be great) screw driver shine your flash light parallel to the bathroom wall behind the TV. Remove the two screws you can see. (The second time I taped some paper to the wall just above the bed because the screw will fall out and go under the bed mattress). Once the two screws are out the fun begins. The second time I did this I taped a thick piece of cardboard to the wall on the far left side of the TV, the cardboard extended to the outside wall and a little above and below the size of the TV. Unplug what you can reach (power, TV cable and HDMI if possible). You must slide the TV to the left while you pull the right side of the TV towards you so you can get the left side to slide behind the side of the curtain. This will require some pressure and will scratch the paneling (hence the learned need for the cardboard). FYI: I believe if you do this the first time, you will see scratches already there due to the initial installment of the TV. Cables will be stretched and I found it easier to have a second set of hands available while doing this. Putting it back together requires reverse steps and watch out for dropping those screws.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #9

THOR #3992
Thanks I really do appreciate your help
Old 09-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #10

THOR #3992
Thanks I'm going to look for campgrounds that doesn't have the latest technology
Old 10-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

Model: Siesta 24ST
State: Maryland
THOR #3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Found out the TVs in my axis do not work with digital signal Cable Systems as anyone else ran into this problem
As SuperD noted... Don't know if they're wired the same, but my Siesta Sprinter 24SR with the same TVs has a "booster" button above the wardrobe closet that I have to disengage (push in to pop out -- green light turns off) for a rv park cable connection to work. For off-air antenna only, I push the button back in (green light back on). We've only traveled to a couple parks so far but one (Massey's Landing in Delaware) opened this spring and the above worked there. BTW, they advertise that their WIFI is the best, and I would have to agree...
Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #12

THOR #3992
Every Campground we stayed in so far Cable it's work fine 1up and Maggie Valley just had a new digital system put in and TVs that we had to not have a quad receiverWhich means they won't pick up the newest digital signals as long as the cable company you're using uses the old systems that work fine but nothing with the new
Old 10-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3770
Seiki

After 5 months on the road, I can say only one campground presented a problem. A KOA on Lake Livingston in Texas. But they had the box, so all was good. And it was a nice park.

I was amazed at the amount of quality TV we got using the antenna. Bought a blue ray player for $80 and bought used discs at pawn shops, flea markets for a couple of dollars. Several campgrounds had lending libraries. Also Best Buy has cheap discs.

Not to mention a campfire or two. So no shortage of entertainment.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:21 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We've had a few places where the cable didn't work on the crappy Seiki TVs. The antenna usually pulls in several channels in most of the places we go, especially in campgrounds where they have digital cable.

We always have plenty of reading material on board.

You know, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are just a few weeks away...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:34 AM   #15

THOR #5196
I changed out my bedroom and living room tv's this past weekend. I installed two Samsung tv's with digital tuners but not the smart tv option. Living room tv was easy, probably took twenty minutes. The bedroom tv was a PIA, Seiki tv used 6mm screws, Samsung uses 8mm, mounting bracket slots were to narrow. I had to widen the slots with a Dremel grinder after checking height of mounting holes. The Seiki tv hookups were on the side, Samsung came straight out the back, had to cut out a small section of the door to attach connections, with tv in place the cutout can't be seen. The bedroom tv took every bit of 2 1/2 hours! I turned on the antenna booster and did a channel search, on the Seiki I got 14 channels on the antenna, with the Samsung digital tuner I got 63!!! At some point I will probably change the outside tv but not in a rush to do that. Glad I did it!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #16

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
You are right that this has been discussed several times, Thor must have a HUGE stash of the garbage Seiki's. I replaced my three Seiki's with Samsung's, I opted for the WiFi enabled Smart TV's--bought during Black Fiday sales last year. I figured I was going t have my ACE for a while, and having the WiFi would allow us to stream TV and movies if we wanted . Not much of an upcharge, so you might want to consider the Smart TV's as your replacements.
Replacing them was a pain. As SuperD noted the bolt sizes were different and the TV over our dinette was mounted on a non conforming mount so I needed to replace that too. Seiki wires out thru the side, Samsung thru the back necessitating special elbow coax connectors and adjustable HDMI corner cables so as not to cut holes in the cabinet. After all that, found that my antenna booster came wired wrong!!! Never a dull moment.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #17

THOR #5196
Our toys do tend to keep us busy! I chose not to get smart tv's for the simple reason they had two without and one with, took the two without!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #18

THOR #4719
My experience with streaming on campground wireless:

At the time of day, I would want to do it (evening), the wireless is usually useless for anything, because other people are streaming. The only exception has been when the campground has enforced rules against streaming. I wish they all did. I have things I'd like to do with the internet in the evening and have to resort to using my Verizon phone's hot spot feature.

As you can see, I don't have an opinion on the subject.

Ken
Old 11-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au
At the time of day, I would want to do it (evening), the wireless is usually useless for anything, because other people are streaming. The only exception has been when the campground has enforced rules against streaming. I wish they all did. I have things I'd like to do with the internet in the evening and have to resort to using my Verizon phone's hot spot feature.
I doubt other people are streaming as no one could get enough throughput to stream anything. Its not like someone streaming gets "locked in" and steals bandwidth from everyone else--its simply all packets. Sure someone may start streaming but they won't get too far.

The simple problem is that most RV park owners are clueless and simply get "broadband" for the park via the local provider. Even something as fast as 300mbps, which would be quite fast at home, is horrible when 50, or 100 campers all try to browse the net at the same time.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:42 AM   #20

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I doubt other people are streaming as no one could get enough throughput to stream anything. Its not like someone streaming gets "locked in" and steals bandwidth from everyone else--its simply all packets. Sure someone may start streaming but they won't get too far.

The simple problem is that most RV park owners are clueless and simply get "broadband" for the park via the local provider. Even something as fast as 300mbps, which would be quite fast at home, is horrible when 50, or 100 campers all try to browse the net at the same time.
I'm guessing you may be right, it could just be overloaded systems. However, It still makes me feel good to rant about streaming on a shared data system.

Ken

P.S. I just noticed the original post for this thread, how did we stray off in this direction?