Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #6007
Tampa RV show...jan 18ish

Will be attending the Tampa RV show in about 2 weeks...will be my first time. I understand this show is amongstnthe largest in the country. Other than a huge selection I am wondering what to expect as far as really good deals...if we could swing it we'd like a 29-31 Thor Class A with the two a/c setup...whether Windsport, ACE or Hurricane.

Will dealers from other parts of the country be at the show?...or pretty much FL dealers.

Also, should I expect a fair number of used product?

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I have gone several times and purchased a 2016 Axis there last year. No used vehicles but there are multiple large RV dealers within 10 miles if you want to look at used. All local RV dealers, at least for Thor Vegas, Axis and ACE. Thor gives the dealer $5000 incentive on the Axis so you can get a pretty good deal. Dealers are also willing to give a decent price for a trade in. Great place to look at all the different manufacturers and models and actually see the differences. I went to the local dealer before the show and found a good salesman who was going to be at the show. Got a quote for my trade before hand and then a quote at the show. I also found that the good dealers tend to really go over their show models and fix all the little things so they look best at the show. We bought a show model even though my wife did not like the fact that a lot of people had been thru it. The finish was much better than the RVs on the lot.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
If you can hold off, and are willing to make the trip, the Hershey PA RV show is the largest in the US. The dates are Sep 14-18 2017.

There are dealers from all over the country that exhibit at Hershey. There are thousands of RV displayed at the Hershey show. Two years ago we were camped at the Hershey Park RV Park and the Tiffin folks from a huge NY dealer staged all his motorhomes from the Hershey RV Park overflow lot. I was talking to him the day after the show ended as they were prepping coaches for new owner pickup. He told me they brought 150 coaches to the show and all of them sold, and he said they had orders for another 300. The show prices are easily 30% off MSRP or higher.

I never bought an RV at the Hershey RV show, but we lived in Hummelstown PA (next to Hershey) and went to the show every year we lived in PA.

Here is a link for information about the show. There is a link on that website that lists the exhibiters that were in the 2016 show -- it is quite extensive.
About PRVCA
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:17 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
The Tampa show is great, if you've done your homework. The dealers divide the brands, to prevent duplication. General RV had the Vegas when we were shopping. Axis was presented by another dealer, with different models, again to prevent duplication.
I've seen the show price sheets sometimes leave off some of the options that seemed standard, so check that you are getting the coach you want. Vegas/Axis have few options, which makes it easier to check.
Happy Hunting!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #5

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
To piggy back Mr Sunshine regarding options -- be sure to get the 15,000 BTU A/C instead of the stock A/C. The 15K keeps out Vegas 24.1 perfectly cool in the hot FL summers.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I agree with Ed, never scrimp on the AC!!! We got the dual AC option on our coach, in Texas summers you need all you can get, bet that's true in Florida too!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I am sure Lazy Days will be well represented there. If you can't find what you want at the show then a short trip to the Lazy Days facilities would be worthwhile if you have never been. We bought a new fiver there a few years ago and I have never seen a bigger dealership. I think the Ft. Myers RV show is the end of January.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I've never been to the Tampa Supershow and don't quite know what to expect, which would affect my planning if I'm able to go. In shows I've been to, each dealer had a designated area and then displayed a variety of their products together; meaning trailers, Class As, Bs, and Cs were all mixed together. With Tampa having well over 1,000 units over more than 20 acres it would take a long time to walk down each aisle.

Looking at the map of the Tampa show, it seems very different. It appears units are segregated by brands and models regardless of whether it's the manufacturer or dealers that have them on display.

Does this sound right? As an example, the map suggests that if I want to look at Axis, they are in one area. Hymer has its own area also. If so that would save a lot of time because we can skip all the trailers, diesel pushers, etc. that we are not as interested in.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Looking at the map of the Tampa show, it seems very different. It appears units are segregated by brands and models regardless of whether it's the manufacturer or dealers that have them on display.

Does this sound right? As an example, the map suggests that if I want to look at Axis, they are in one area. Hymer has its own area also. If so that would save a lot of time because we can skip all the trailers, diesel pushers, etc. that we are not as interested in.

You are right. Each brand is represented by only one dealer, to avoid duplication. So, you'll find models of Vegas together, and models of Axis together, and between them probably each model.

Here is the program and map for the show, (mostly ads): 2017 Florida RV SuperShow - Florida RV Trade AssociationFlorida RV Trade Association

This show is probably the biggest in Florida, held at the state fairgrounds. The inside exhibit area is enormous. You'll pay to park and to enter, and can save a buck by printing the coupon on the website. Show runs Wednesday through Sunday.

I am hoping to go on Thursday. PM me if you want to connect!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
We are planning on attending the show leaving the east coast Saturday morning, spending the night and catching what we missed on Sunday morning. This will be our first Super Show visit. We made a list of vendors to visit. Hoping for decent weather.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
You are right. Each brand is represented by only one dealer, to avoid duplication. So, you'll find models of Vegas together, and models of Axis together, and between them probably each model.

Here is the program and map for the show, (mostly ads): 2017 Florida RV SuperShow - Florida RV Trade AssociationFlorida RV Trade Association

This show is probably the biggest in Florida, held at the state fairgrounds. The inside exhibit area is enormous. You'll pay to park and to enter, and can save a buck by printing the coupon on the website. Show runs Wednesday through Sunday.

I am hoping to go on Thursday. PM me if you want to connect!
Thanks much for information, and for your offer. I'd be interested in knowing how much time to schedule based on what others spend walking the show.

If we make it to show it will require flying from out of state. My interest at show are limited to very small Class As (no bigger than Axis), Class Bs (particularly Roadtrek and Hymer, but want to look at all of them), and equipment suppliers just in case we don't find what we want.

There is a lot to see but hope a day and a half is enough; may two at most. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #12

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thanks much for information, and for your offer. I'd be interested in knowing how much time to schedule based on what others spend walking the show.

If we make it to show it will require flying from out of state. My interest at show are limited to very small Class As (no bigger than Axis), Class Bs (particularly Roadtrek and Hymer, but want to look at all of them), and equipment suppliers just in case we don't find what we want.

There is a lot to see but hope a day and a half is enough; may two at most. Does that sound reasonable?

How long it takes always depends entirely on you and how you spend your time. When you limit your focus to just two RV classes, a day or day and a half should give you plenty of time. I know some folks camp there and go all 5 days! The inside exhibits are extensive too. You might not see it all, but you will see a lot!
One of the best things about a big show is the company reps that are available for questions. It is so frustrating talking to a dealer salesperson who knows less about a product than you do!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

THOR #2121
If anyone sees or hears of new product introductions at the Tampa SuperShow, could you post about them here. More info may make it easier to not skip new products.

I read Thor will be spotlighting a Quantum 24KM (think that's the model) based on Sprinter chassis. It has a full wall slide -- but not all that large due to compact RV size.

Hymer will have the larger Aktiv 2.0 based on extended ProMaster van. It has larger bed at rear. They also have a new model aimed at women (????) which reportedly has a stand-alone shower in a larger bath. I'm guessing my wife will like that since bath size is more important to her.

Hymer will have two Euro super light trailers that can be towed with just about any vehicle, including Class Bs with limited V6 power and low GCWR. Hymer CEO stated in video some are buying in combo, using trailer for extra room when needed or as a base camp.

Roadtrek will have a low-cost ProMaster-based simpler Class B replicating van campers of the past when they were more affordable. They claim content is there, just minus appearance upgrades like painted bumpers, painted air conditioner, etc.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #14

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I'll be on the lookout for these tomorrow when we get there
Old 01-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Big Show Still Big. Had a great day looking at new Class A's and visiting with Challenger Owners Club members. One thing really surprised me. I could not believe how many $300K and up products with curb side dinning with an awning that dropped down so far and TOTALLY blocked your view. And there is no adjustment! Maybe that's good if you don't want to see neighbors rig. Recommend parking near gate one if at all possible. Gate two is closed and there is a LONG walk from gate three ticket booth to entrance. GPS will take you there but cell phone will get you around the worst congestion. Recommend cell for the last ten miles. Don't forget you hiking shoes.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I bought a Thor Synergy at the Chicago area RV show in Schaumburg, Illinois last week at 40% off. By far the best deal after 3 months of looking, Internet shopping, phone calling and dealer lot crawling. General RV took good care of us I saved $6000 over my best non show dealer offer. They also had Windsport and ACE at the show but I'm sorry I don't remember the show special pricing. However I do remember they had a VEGAS for $79,000. I fished the show literature out of the trash and took a picture for you. My opinion? Find General RV, tell them Bill from Saint John, Indiana sent you and said to give you 40% off and you would be a buyer, it worked for me😎 Sorry the picture is upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	3753  
Old 01-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For those of us not fortunate enough to go to the show, check out Thor's youtube channel. They keep broadcasting walkthroughs of units (sometimes live). Here is a walkthrough of an Axis 25.2:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #18

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Went to the show today, stayed 5-6 hours, saw what we went to see and a couple we didn't think about. The Axis/Vegas 25.2 seems to be the best candidate, but rhe Forest River FR3 has a lot of what we want with a little more space to boot. Going to be a lot of discussion before we finally decide.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #19
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Last January...we went to KC RV Show ... local dealer invited us to come to their lot the following day to drive the 24.1 to make sure we liked it. ...
Folks...that was CampingWorld !! Yes, there are some good CW dealers.
Regarding the Tampa Show...all of the Florida folks have commented...for those of you not familiar with the area...on I4 east of Tampa there are 4 or more dealers to checkout .
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:29 AM   #20

THOR #3521
Be sure and look at the new diesel pusher Thor Arias while you are there. Brand new and already hard to get. Let us know what you think!

Tags
rv show