Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #7625
Are there Happy Thor Owners Out There?

Hello Everyone,

New member, new to RVing.

My wife and I have been talking about full time RVing for a couple of years. Just needed to get to retirement. Finally there in 2016 and ready to pull the plug. Took a two wk trip in a class C as a test run to see if we would like the lifestyle as much as we thought we would. We loved it! Anything we needed could have been solved with a bit more space and some good internet!

Been spending a few weeks working at cullling ads trying to find a used diesel pusher with the right layout and price point. Plan to hire and inspector should I find one. I'm handy and pretty good at repairing things so figured I could handle most issues with forum help. I keep coming back to the Pallazo layout with a separate shower and a bathroom door that doesn't open to the kitchen...so what better place to get some feedback than a Thor Forum.

After reading so many totally negative posts about Thor motorhome quality we are really wondering if this whole plan is viable. We want to full time and that means full time RVing not staying shacked up in a hotel waiting for our RV to serviced.

So here's my question. [B] Are there any happy Palazzo owners out there? Does everyone have horror story problems or are only those folks writing in?

Every brand I look at has some outlandish and sad quality story but Thor seems to be particularly harsh. We sure met a lot of happy people (not that many Thor owners but it was only two weeks.) We are trying to get some balance on this whole idea and also decide on a used Palazzo but right now we wondering if the RV plan will be more frustrating that having to take care of a house. Do we need to visit our national parks by car and sleep in a motel! Yuck

Thanks,
Dave

Old 05-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I bought a new Thor class C so maybe it's apples and oranges but my wife and I are very happy with our coach. A few issues I fixed myself but we are very happy with our purchase. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

State: Maryland
THOR #7316
Dave,

I can't speak to Palazzo specifically, but WRT Thor in general. The 28Z we just picked up is our second THOR. There are a lot of awful situations/scenarios on the internet of people having bad experiences; those aren't ours specifically. We bought a brand new RV and the first day we tried to put the batteries in Store we found that the Battery Disconnect Relay/Solenoid was bad. 'Bad THOR' - [Insert Sarcasm] - This isn't anything any level of quality control could have identified. There is a minimum/maximum rate of failure for any electronic component, and this clearly ruins the average. Are there lemons out there sure, could a better job be done managing quality, sure, but I think generally speaking if everyone was that displeased w/ THOR as a manufacturer, they wouldn't be as successful of a company as they are. I guess what I'm saying is, each experience is unique in it's own right and we have had problems that have been appropriately addressed. Using the dealer and/or THOR we haven't had any major issues.

Oh . . . and having slept in a Toyota Sequoia in Yellowstone, stick to getting an RV

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I bought a new Thor class C so maybe it's apples and oranges but my wife and I are very happy with our coach. A few issues I fixed myself but we are very happy with our purchase. Good luck!
I have a Vegas few minor cosmetic issues overall happy with unit. I am waiting for my new Windsport to come in. This will be my 3rd Thor RV and if I wasn't happy I would be looking at another brand. As far as full timing it clearly states in the Thor manuel that they are not intended or designed for full time use they are a recreational vehicles.

Kev
Old 05-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #5

THOR #7625
Thank you Kev,

I was not aware of that comment in the Thor manual. You make a good point.

Do you know if that is true of all motorhomes i.e. the Tiffins and Newmars or other higher end MHs? Or are they and others just "more luxurious" recreational vehicles?

We originally were looking at Fifth wheels for the additional space and the fact that it separates a motor vehicle from the living space. But we couldn't get over the thought of driving a 1 ton to get a loaf or bread or to go out to dinner. Do Fifth wheels have the same clarification of "not intended or designed for full time"?

If so, I'm wondering if it is just the mfr sort of limiting their liabilities. Clearly many folks out there are doing just that and warranties exist to serve the RV user and the full timer. I've been reading about having the right expectations for the RV experience and I think I'm prepared for that. Just being overwhelmed with the negative.

PS.
Agree CPO, if there isn't something in the Toyota manual about it not being used for sleeping...there should be!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:24 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
We are in our second Thor and are very pleased! Our first Thor had zero defects. Our second, and current Thor, has only a couple of minor problems that can be easily remedied. I been RVing a long time and talked to a lot of owners of Thor and just about every other model, they all have problems and a lack of quality control. Would I buy a third Thor, absolutely I would! Thor had a floor plan we liked, we bought it and are very happy with it!

If you read other forms you'll read the same things as on this forum. Understand that Thor is the largest manufacturer of coaches so there are more complaints. Sorry that people have problems, it's true that they do, but they can be remedied. Perhaps you might feel more comfortable buying used after someone else has taken care of the repairs.

As for motels, we don't like sleeping in a bed that is full of someone else's germs and bugs. We prefer to sleep in our own bed, use our own bathroom, and cook on our own stove. Just my opinion.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:35 AM   #7

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
We too are very happy with our Hurricane, we are in the early weeks of a 2 plus month trip. Over mountains with a car in tow, handles great, rides great, we are in Denver having fun!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Some people prefer Chevy and some Ford. I prefer a coach for many reasons over a fifth wheel, but that's me. Many people live full time in fifth wheels and coaches and have for years. I lived full time in our previous coach for almost five years and was very comfortable. My neighbors were in a fifth wheel going on seven years full time, there were several in travel trailers. Weigh the pros and cons then decide.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:57 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We've had our Thor Challenger for 26 months - 31,000 miles and are leaving soon for another 3 month trip over 2,200 miles with 5 grandkids. Have we had issues, you betcha. Have we fixed the issues, you betcha. Thor has been very supportive and helpful.

We are in our late 60's and are thankful for the time to see the US with our grandkids. So glad we have the coach. Yep, we could use more room like in a 5er but when we pull into our site at a campground, hit a couple of buttons to level, walk out and spend 2 mins hooking up utlilites then grab a cocktail and watch the news. Easy call.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:09 AM   #10

THOR #7625
Absolutely buying used. That's the plan

Here's another issue I've run into. Lots of used RVs to choose from and with a diesel, miles are not a real issue as long as it has been serviced regularly.

How old is it generally reasonable to buy? I know that's an open question and it depends on how used, stored, maintained so one should inspect carefully.

Should one stay in the 3-5 yr range vs 6-10. Is a 2007 (10 yrs) going to result in structural issues ie. delaminating, leaks, tile coming up etc just due to age. I drive old cars but these have a whole lot more to worry about. One can purchase some really nice 8-10 yr RV's of a higher original price point but I was wondering if I would be getting into trouble with things breaking and falling apart just due to age. Any thoughts there?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Count the DW and I as happy Hurricane owners. Only two minor problems in the first 15,000 miles. Working with Thor Motor Coach Customer Service, I was able to take my coach to a Jayco dealer to have two warranty items repaired in less than two hours. I paid for the repairs and sent the bill to Thor. About one month later Thor reimbursed me the $271.00 for the repairs. Like most owners, we are constantly modifying/updating the coach. Thor has been most helpful in advising use on how to proceed and where to purchase the uncommon items. We have been living in it full time for two months after selling our house. Two more months before our new house is finished. It all still works as advertised.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:52 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Even though we have a Vegas 24.1 and not a Palazzo we are extremely with it. Not a single problem in 21,000+ miles in 2 years.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Our recently purchased, used 2016 Vegas is our 4th motorhome and our first Thor. In the beginning we couldn't afford to buy brand new and now, given what we've learned, we're that "brave". It's a rare motorhome that is delivered without any "issues". We decided to let someone else go thru that debugging process and then buy a rig that was a year or two old and had the major issues resolved.

On the issue of motorhome vs fifth wheel for full timing, it comes down to one issue: are you going to move around a lot or mostly be in one place? This Fall we are going into a park in Central Florida where we hope to spend our winters for the next 5 to 10 years. For that purpose, we'll be buying a fifth wheel. You can find used 5ers priced much lower than an equivalent motorhome and you you more room for your dollar. We'll still have our Vegas for traveling but the more spacious fifth wheel to live in.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #14

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Dave, first of all congratulations on your recent retirement!!!! I think you are going about finding your first RV DP the correct way. And yes, there are tons of us happy with our Thor products.

You said you were looking for a used unit, going to have it inspected, plus you are handy and don't mind doing some repairs and maintenance. Sounds to me like you have done your homework and will be a savy RVer in short order!

We are certainly happy with our Thor MH. It is about what we expected and after only about 3,000 miles has served us well.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah there is a lot of negative posts about Thor out there. So much so that this topic appears here quite regularly (an example of a prior version http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...appy-1043.html ).

We're on our 4th RV, 1st Thor and 1st motor home (have had 2 TT's and a 5er). We've experienced first hand the worst quality from the RV industry (1st TT and 1st RV ever) but we're still campers .

Our Thor (an Axis) was pretty decent with only 2 really "bad" issues (a window leak, and the shifter cable problem that quite a few early Axis/Vegas units had). A few other problems were pretty minor solved by either our dealer or myself. Now starting our 3rd season with it we finally feel we got the coach "like we want it" with all the mods .

In fact: We built our sticks and bricks house and had a longer punch list of items to fix on that for the builder than we had with our Axis LOL.

On the whole I'd call us happy Thor owners.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
We love our freedom elite. Had it almost a year now. Only problems is a trip piece was loose and the battery died after winter.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #17

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Though our new Gemini has not been problem free, its been mostly minor inconveniences, only one issue that grounded us for a short time. Thor has been very cooperative as far as authorizing necessary repairs. Oh and I couldn't get to any of the air valves on the four rear tires. Because I saw that as a can't wait issue, I had my own tire guy fix it, mount valve extensions and mount them so I can easily check air pressure in rear tires. I mentioned it to Thor, they asked for, and I sent the invoice to them, which Thor then fully refunded me for. This was something I didn't even ask for, they offered, and I of course accepted.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We bought a 2016 Vegas used with under 2K miles. Everything looked great. I was a little nervous thinking they were unloading a "Lemon". Turned out not the case at all.

Now 12 payments and 7000 miles later. We love the unit, could be a little bigger but is excellent at primary use. Only issues minor and of no significance. Nothing to stop use or delay a trip.

It pays to look at everything closely and be somewhat handy for minor issues. As big as these things are and how much they flex things will loosen.

Any thoughts we had of going bigger are hampered by all these horror stories. Not the ones we read about so much as people we know. not just Thor either. One couple we know upgraded (from Thor to another brand) and new unit has more time in shop that at home.

Research, eyes open and ask a ton of questions before buying.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We are on our second Thor. Our Four Winds gave us one year and 16,000 miles of absolutely trouble free use. Our Axis has had a number of issues, but between the dealer and Thor, we are working them out. I still love it. All in all; the pleasure outweighs the pain.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
We have a 2016 Tuscany XTE 36MQ. We looked at the Pallazzo before our purchase. We purchased new because we are very particular with our vehicles and could not find a used one we liked within driving distance.

Thor, with recent aquisitions, own 47% of North American market! With that, you will see 47% of the problems - hence all of the "bad Thor issues".

We have been happy with ours overall. As with most new purchases of RV's, we had numerous small items to be repaired. All were done so by the dealer. It is a rolling house after all.

There are a lot of used very nice RV's out there. Only issue would be where you plan to stay. Many resorts do not allow RV's older than 10 yrs old. If this is not an issue for you - I would buy an older unit and save the cash.