Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Is there a glare fix for Axis-Vegas side windows?

Looking for some anti reflective coating or film for the side windows that access the side mirrors. The glare is a serious problem when backing up at night or in low light.
Thanks,

Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
It's not just the Axis-Vegas models, it's all brands and models that have the reflection problem at night. I've searched quite a bit, but have not found a good solution. I hope you fair better, and if you find a good solution, please post. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #3

THOR #1249
Yes, after doing some searching, it seems that it is a universal problem with viewing the rear mirrors thru flat windows. One solution is found over on the irv2 forum where a guy mounted a black sheet at an angle to block the reflection in the area of the flat window used for viewing the mirror. Hard to describe, but below is a link with pics. I think I will try it as it is simple and inexpensive.

Reflection on driver's mirror & window - Page 4 - iRV2 Forums
Old 08-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Exclamation Driver side reflection

I am reviving this old post as I have been struggling with this problem for years. I only thought of it now and so did a search and am grateful(?) that it is an actual problem with others. I had been thinking my unit had "bad glass" as trying to look out the side window at the mirror is so awful at times, I did not think it would be allowed to leave the assembly line with a dangerous problem as this.
The link on iRV2 is VERY informative, I will try to block the reflection this week when we go out. I also hope reviving this thread will help others.

Drive safe out there!
Old 08-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #5

THOR #1249
Let us know how it goes. I have found that at night backing with the mirrors is near impossible due to the glare. It helps if you have another person with a powerful light back there directing. I try not to get into that situation of having to back into a spot at night, but then it happens even with the best laid plans as they say.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #6

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Let us know how it goes. I have found that at night backing with the mirrors is near impossible due to the glare. It helps if you have another person with a powerful light back there directing. I try not to get into that situation of having to back into a spot at night, but then it happens even with the best laid plans as they say.
So in the last 6 years did you try the suggestion in the iRV2 link with the cardboard or plexiglass? It looks very promising.

My worst fear is also trying to back up and use the mirror... some times I cannot see the mirror at all!
Old 08-21-2021, 10:17 PM   #7

THOR #1249
Yes, I bought a piece of black poster foam board at Dollar Tree, cut it in half and hand held it to see how and if it would block the glare from the opposite side. It did, but I have never gotten around to making a slit in a short 2x4 for a base to hold it. I don't think I would want it in place all the time, but with the small weighted base it would be easy to set in place when needed on both the driver and passenger side. Also, would be easy to adjust as needed.
I'll just add that to my punch list now.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I have learned to open window and stick head out when low light, dusk/night. Thinking of adding rear spot lights that can overcome glare.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #9

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I have learned to open window and stick head out when low light, dusk/night. Thinking of adding rear spot lights that can overcome glare.
But for me it will happen at 'any time', driving down the street, if I pass trucks on the passenger side, they are moving in the opposite direction in my driverside window, gets very distracting at times and hard to concentrate on what is ahead of you if you think something is sneaking in beside you.
If I open the window, I can see clearly, just not thru the glass, and opening the window (forward), just makes looking at the mirror twice as bad. I cannot envision spot lights working for me.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:54 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I run into same as you going forward. I am aware of it being issue with all RVs using flat style windows. My buddy does not have it in his ford cab C. Even in daylight certain conditions make it very difficult.

My biggest issue is backing with trailer which is why I am thinking of good spotlights on back.

Tags
driver mirror, mirror, reflection