Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Our Vegas has been sitting in the storage lot for three weeks since we got home from wintering in Florida. Yesterday I took it out to top off the fuel tank and run an errand which required more carrying space than our car offers. It was raining cats and dogs, the wind was blowing with 35mph gusts and it was generally a miserable day.

But about half way through my trip I realized that I had a big grin on my face and I was having a great time. Of the four motorhomes that I've owned, this Vegas is the only one that is fun to drive. I felt like pointing the nose west and seeing how far I could get before sundown. When I got home I logged into RV Trip Wizard and started thinking about where we could go in the next few weeks - just for the fun of it.

I'm not a handy type. I avoid using any tool more complicated than a screwdriver. We've had the Vegas for just over a month and already put 4000 miles on it and we're having a ball. Yes, there have been some minor issues and we've spent some additional money on those issues. But we've seen some parts of the country that we had previously missed, met a lot of really nice folks and we're having a ball.

As Steve70605 points out, a company with almost 50% market share is going to have almost 50% of the customers with complaints. But they've also got a heck of a lot of customers who are having the time of their life.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:27 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #7435
comparable story

When I bought my DJI Drone I first went onto to the DJI forum page. My god nobody had a drone that flew, it broke it flew away on its own. I thought this is crazy I am not going to spend the money on this quadcopter. well I di and have been flying it having a ball and NO problems. Nobody posts good things only the bad. So go buy your RV and have a ball
Old 05-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #23

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
When I bought my DJI Drone I first went onto to the DJI forum page. My god nobody had a drone that flew, it broke it flew away on its own. I thought this is crazy I am not going to spend the money on this quadcopter. well I di and have been flying it having a ball and NO problems. Nobody posts good things only the bad. So go buy your RV and have a ball
Agree, agree, agree!
Old 05-28-2017, 03:34 AM   #24

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Washington
THOR #7369
We just bought a 2018 Thor motorhome. Took it out for the shakedown glamping trip. After just 1 month of ownership, it's sitting back at the dealer's having warranty issues addressed. 1 crookedly installed pocket bedroom door, 1 slide with a leak issue due to the manufacture putting on the seal with a BIG gap, 2 broken TV's and a broken blu-ray DVD player. And this having paid the "Quality Check" of over $1k from CW before we picked up our brand new RV. Sigh.

Good news is that it's still under warranty & wont cost us a dime to fix. Bad news- makes me wonder what else needs fixing if this is considered "brand new!"

Of course I'm just responding to a survey type of question & this is just my own experience. I wish you many many years of traveling joy with your new RVing life whichever brand you choose!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #25

Model: Tuscany 40RX
THOR #3104
I like my coach, I would buy another, but as you should know by now, hardly anyone posts good comments, its usually only negative ones. Owning a motorhome requires lots of different things. The engine, transmission, generator, tires, and chassis require service on a ROUTINE basis, either done by or paid by you. Its a house going down the road at sixty plus miles an hour, the roof, slide, storage bay, and window gaskets/seals need checking. Do "bad" things happen? Yes they do, however if you are diligent these things can be greatly minimized. Some believe all you have to do is fuel it up and go without inspecting anything.
Is there a coach that lives up to all of this, I'm thinking probably not.
ernie01jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #26

Model: Tuscany 40RX
THOR #3104
I like my coach, I would buy another, but as you should know by now, hardly anyone posts good comments, its usually only negative ones. Owning a motorhome requires lots of different things. The engine, transmission, generator, tires, and chassis require service on a ROUTINE basis, either done by or paid by you. Its a house going down the road at sixty plus miles an hour, the roof, slide, storage bay, and window gaskets/seals need checking. Do "bad" things happen? Yes they do, however if you are diligent these things can be greatly minimized. Some believe all you have to do is fuel it up and go without inspecting anything.
Is there a coach that lives up to all of this, I'm thinking probably not.
ernie01jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #27

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Oregon
THOR #4145
Smile Happy Palazzo owner

We bought a previously owned 2014 Palazzo 33.2, and we are very pleased with it. Perhaps the most important decision you'll make in the buying process is the dealer from whom you purchase. Paying an experienced inspector to look over the coach is an excellent idea. That, plus the fact that you can work a wrench and a screwdriver, says that you are well suited to the RV life style. We like the views we get with our Palazzo...lots of window space in all the right places. Finally, we purchased an extended warranty, because although I have worked on cars (as a hobby), I know very little about diesels. The warranty gives me piece of mind. The Palazzo comes with a highly respected Cummins engine on a Freightliner chassis, so my concerns may have been misplaced, still.....
Old 05-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #28

Model: Four Winds
State: Michigan
THOR #7718
If you don't have unrealistic expectations, you'll be fine.
Things will break, adjustments will need to be made, remember this isn't a house and it's not a vehicle, so don't expect it to be and you won't be disappointed
I found a few extra screws and wire nuts when winterizing our 2015 Thor, our engine Battery wouldn't hold a charge after a year, if you find this to be a drama moment, you might want to rethink the RV lifestyle
We have met so many great people, willing to share, our only retreat is we didn't get stated sooner
Rob
Old 06-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #29

State: Florida
THOR #7866
Just purchased our first Thor motor home. A 2017 Palazzo 35.1. Love the floor plan but experiencing lack of quality control issues from day one and still fighting a few. Only one major issue so far with the drivers side slide (the big one) being misaligned after a few retract and extend cycles. Leading edge seal is flush, trailing edge has a one inch gap. Other issues: both kitchen and bathroom sinks leaked. Sink and trap flanges were not even hand tight. Water valves to cloths washer both were off. TV panel not flush when retracted. Had bad water leaks behind the service panel. Three fittings were very loose and overflow not even hooked up and bay filled with water. Of course, pump ran constantly pumping the water everywhere. Dash gen meter counting seconds of runtime when it should increment one 'click' for every six minutes. Bay 4 and 5 lights stayed constantly on. No switching to turn them automatically off when door closed. All other lights have on-off switch. They installed the wrong type lights in bay 4-5. Other then that everything is fine. Hopefully after these 'bugs' gets worked out I'll be trouble free. Will I ever buy a Thor again? We'll see...
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #6007
Have our 2018 ACE 29.3 scheduled for July delivery....taking delivery in Elkhart, IN and staying there for 7 days as part of semi shakedown....have our fingers crossed Thor , our dealer and the stas will align for us. Heading on 2000 mile adventure then!
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 AM   #31

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I hate Thor as a manufacturer. We special ordered our coach and they cheated us on our new motorhome. I love the coach... hate Thor!

Long story short we ordered an E450 and they built it on an E350 and as such we lost 3500 pounds GCVW which is a lot. They even went so far as to completely change their website but I have all the 2017 literature and web info. They want to go to court because they know we can't afford that option. So much for retirement and the American dream.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 AM   #32

THOR #7866
David1912 - all I can suggest, since you have the time, is to methodically and systematically check EVERY single function and operation of the coach. Having 7 days is great and you should spend some of that time (2 days) off the grid exercising systems and functions without shore power or water. Best of luck!
Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I hate Thor as a manufacturer. We special ordered our coach and they cheated us on our new motorhome. I love the coach... hate Thor!

Long story short we ordered an E450 and they built it on an E350 and as such we lost 3500 pounds GCVW which is a lot. They even went so far as to completely change their website but I have all the 2017 literature and web info. They want to go to court because they know we can't afford that option. So much for retirement and the American dream.

Why did you take delivery? Just wondering. And too, if you love the coach just remember THAT is what you bought - not the company. Once the warranty is done you don't ever need to talk to them again. Hope you enjoy your travels?
Old 06-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #34

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Alaska
THOR #7867
90% of comments on these sites are negative. I have my second Thor Tuscany my first was a lemon that model isn't made any longer. My current is a 2016 Tuscany 45AT sure we did a shake down had a few issues. We went to a rally in Indiana and they took care of everything. I would never go to Camping World nightmare! I have talked to Prevost Owners everyone has issues. Think about driving your house down the road at 60mph things happen. I am not a full timer but have been in the road 22 out of the last 25 months I wouldn't change a thing. Great layout but a definite learning curve don't get frustrated. I learn something new every day!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #35

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Washington
THOR #7426
Sometimes it's tough to decipher what you read on these forums. I actually happen to be a manufacturer myself (not RV's but similar) and it's really easy for many to jump behind a keyboard and blast a company without actually understanding what goes into building a complicated piece of equipment and expecting it to never break but keep it priced aggressively so people will actually buy it. We all have our ideas of how we would do it better or differently but the ultimate reason I bought a Thor was because it was priced right and I felt the quality was ok for what I paid. It's true, you absolutely get what you pay for and so far, I'm very happy with my purchase.

I had my 2015 30.1 for a month before my power steering started leaking. Should I blast Thor for putting a Ford V10 motor in it? They don't have control of those unexpected vendor issues but they sure helped me out when I called. It took me all of ten minutes to talk to their factory and ask what I should do. They sent me to Ford which I was expecting the run around and a two hour drive to find a dealer only to be surprised. They had it figured out within minutes and were friendly and got me to the right people. That's all I can ask for!

My suggestion is to work with a dealer who has a good reputation that will actually support what you buy. If you buy used, remember it's as is and don't blame the guys building it when something goes wrong and you have to figure it out on your own. If you want the support and want to be able to call on someone when something goes wrong, spend the extra money and buy new. Glad I didn't buy someone else's problems that didn't have a clue about working and maintaining my motorhome!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #36

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
I started a thread about a year ago for personal who like their coaches, lots of very positive responses

Coaches are very complex machines and the more complex the more opportunities for problems. An aircraft engineer friend once told me, and I believe it to be true: "the parts you leave off are the parts that will never break."

Unfortunately coaches need a lot of parts, if they didn't have them we wouldn't be happy and we would be driving empty shells.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
My experience with Camping World was a positive one and my Freedom Elite, while not without issues, has been a total delight. I've almost stopped reading most of this forum for all of the whining and fussing about minor issues. Considering that I have a nicely equipped 26 ft MH for the price of a nice pickup truck I think it's an amazing value. Most of its systems are pretty straightforward and easy to maintain and repair.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #38

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Our Vegas has been sitting in the storage lot for three weeks since we got home from wintering in Florida. Yesterday I took it out to top off the fuel tank and run an errand which required more carrying space than our car offers. It was raining cats and dogs, the wind was blowing with 35mph gusts and it was generally a miserable day.

But about half way through my trip I realized that I had a big grin on my face and I was having a great time. Of the four motorhomes that I've owned, this Vegas is the only one that is fun to drive. I felt like pointing the nose west and seeing how far I could get before sundown. When I got home I logged into RV Trip Wizard and started thinking about where we could go in the next few weeks - just for the fun of it.

I'm not a handy type. I avoid using any tool more complicated than a screwdriver. We've had the Vegas for just over a month and already put 4000 miles on it and we're having a ball. Yes, there have been some minor issues and we've spent some additional money on those issues. But we've seen some parts of the country that we had previously missed, met a lot of really nice folks and we're having a ball.

As Steve70605 points out, a company with almost 50% market share is going to have almost 50% of the customers with complaints. But they've also got a heck of a lot of customers who are having the time of their life.
well said!
Old 06-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #39

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by acustis View Post
Sometimes it's tough to decipher what you read on these forums. I actually happen to be a manufacturer myself (not RV's but similar) and it's really easy for many to jump behind a keyboard and blast a company without actually understanding what goes into building a complicated piece of equipment and expecting it to never break but keep it priced aggressively so people will actually buy it. We all have our ideas of how we would do it better or differently but the ultimate reason I bought a Thor was because it was priced right and I felt the quality was ok for what I paid. It's true, you absolutely get what you pay for and so far, I'm very happy with my purchase.

I had my 2015 30.1 for a month before my power steering started leaking. Should I blast Thor for putting a Ford V10 motor in it? They don't have control of those unexpected vendor issues but they sure helped me out when I called. It took me all of ten minutes to talk to their factory and ask what I should do. They sent me to Ford which I was expecting the run around and a two hour drive to find a dealer only to be surprised. They had it figured out within minutes and were friendly and got me to the right people. That's all I can ask for!

My suggestion is to work with a dealer who has a good reputation that will actually support what you buy. If you buy used, remember it's as is and don't blame the guys building it when something goes wrong and you have to figure it out on your own. If you want the support and want to be able to call on someone when something goes wrong, spend the extra money and buy new. Glad I didn't buy someone else's problems that didn't have a clue about working and maintaining my motorhome!
Well said, I feel the same, it is a price point issue. Im somewhat surprised at some of the minor QA/QC issues that escaped Thor but I love the unit overall and especially for the price. If I could have afforded a $200K Phaeton maybe it would have been perfect but not as drivable! This Forum has been an invaluable resource for learning about my purchase and resolving issues and I am very grateful for all who contribute!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #40

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Loving our Hurricane 31S

Minor fit and finish issues aside, our new Hurricane is perfect for us. Drove to Indiana for delivery, camped at a few places on the way home to VA, then a boondock weekend. All systems worked, coach drove better than expected ( but needs some suspension mods). Very pleased overall with our purchase.