Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum WS31
State: Massachusetts
THOR #16115
Thinking about making an offer on a 2020 Quantum WS31..Thoughts?

Wife and I are going from a 5th wheel to our first motor coach. We will be weekend worriers for about 3 years including various week vacations. Then retirement and plan on spending 2 or 3 months at a time in the rig traveling the great US of A.

Our offer is going to be low 90's. We were initially looking used, 1 or 2 years old, but they all seem to be priced within 10k of the 2020's so didn't make sense to us to buy used.

Any thoughts on this model:

Quality?
Value?
Reliability?
Other comparable models at same price point that are better value?

Etc

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Offer 35-40% off the MSRP and start there. If they let you walk, you've made great offer for yourself. Just know going in what your "buy or die" number is...and stick to it. Call around and get quotes from several other dealers before you go in.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Don,
You forgot to call the Sales-Goobers: "Sales-Goobers"!

The best of luck to you during the sales process!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I would rent one for a long term test drive.
Due to the overhang and the mirrors and added difficulty of getting from front to back, I wouldn't take a cabover type c for free if I had to keep and use it.
It took us about three minutes to figure out the compromises made by building a house onto a cutaway. We Hated it.
Mine is an abstract, cartoonish (but true) example. It's meant to counter the standard view of 'money' being the main issue. COMFORT is the main issue and you'll have 1,000's of hours behind the wheel if your plan is successful.

What a shame to buy one and find out 1,000 miles down the road that the clostrophobic cab is not for you.

Or not.
Your three questions:
Quality, is standard Thor

Value, is exactly usability and subjective as it equates only to you.

Reliability, is industry standard and doesn't vary much per model. Same fridge, same chassis, same heater etc.

I know nothing about Massachusetts taxes. I do know of the $3,000 add on if you don't finance through the dealer, the 11% per ent added tax, the licensing,the included top line extended warranty and goodies that made us choose a used unit with not tax....

https://www.ebay.com/i/163735421092?...BoC2XwQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/264399368454?...26pg%3D2385738

Your low 90's offer seems $10k too high, or I've misread something.

Either way, a week of rental is a good idea that can't be combatted by rational people.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:50 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well if its the RV the your really want I would not pay more than 40% off of sticker (list) price.

But offer them like 45% less than sticker and see what you can get.

Dont bother with the extendend warrentee (esp. if your handy). But if you do get Ext. Warr. dont pay more than like $1000 or $1500 for 4 or 5 years. They will start out around $6000 but quicky drop the price. And many of them are not worth much since they will find a why to weasel out of repairing it under warrantee.

This price saving you get up front will justify the poor quality .... alowing you more money for repairs etc, and making you feel better about paying a few hundred (or more) for repairs in the first year(S)of owner ship.

If at anytime you getting nowwhere with your price negotiations... stand up and tell them you will think about it. You will see how quickly they WONT let you leave the building. I did that twice until I got the price I wanted for my Axis at CW. Plus I had them thow in $100 CW gift card since the Fuel tank was on empty and a 39 inch smart TV!

Also DO NOT PAY THEM one Penney until AFTER you do your walk though. Spend at least TWO hours doing doing it. Check the operations of EVERYTHING and ask them lots of question. Then expect to LEAVE the RV for a few days or WEEK until they compete the repairs (expect to find repairs).

You might have to leave a deposit but DONT pay a penny until everything that you can find is as good as it can get. They will fix things quickly before you pay them. But once you pay them and drive off the lot you will wait WEEKS on getting stuff fixed/

And always expect a few things more to be repaired a few weeks later. That way your not upset or disappointed.

Overall quality is about the same with ALL RV's IMO. But you need to catch the major stuff in the first year.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:43 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That's a pretty nice floor plan. As a former Class C owner, I'll tell you a Class A of similar length will provide you with more comfort at your weekend destinations. It will also be a lot more comfortable when you start doing your longer trips. We traveled in a Class C while we worked but when we retired moved to a Class A. The difference was like day and night. The only downside I've found is the lack of a driver's door.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #7

THOR #16115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I would rent one for a long term test drive.
Due to the overhang and the mirrors and added difficulty of getting from front to back, I wouldn't take a cabover type c for free if I had to keep and use it.
It took us about three minutes to figure out the compromises made by building a house onto a cutaway. We Hated it.
Mine is an abstract, cartoonish (but true) example. It's meant to counter the standard view of 'money' being the main issue. COMFORT is the main issue and you'll have 1,000's of hours behind the wheel if your plan is successful.

What a shame to buy one and find out 1,000 miles down the road that the clostrophobic cab is not for you.

Or not.
Your three questions:
Quality, is standard Thor

Value, is exactly usability and subjective as it equates only to you.

Reliability, is industry standard and doesn't vary much per model. Same fridge, same chassis, same heater etc.

I know nothing about Massachusetts taxes. I do know of the $3,000 add on if you don't finance through the dealer, the 11% per ent added tax, the licensing,the included top line extended warranty and goodies that made us choose a used unit with not tax....

https://www.ebay.com/i/163735421092?...BoC2XwQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/264399368454?...26pg%3D2385738

Your low 90's offer seems $10k too high, or I've misread something.

Either way, a week of rental is a good idea that can't be combatted by rational people.

Thanks for your input. What do you own?

I would say that the claustrophobic feeling of driving a class C compared to a truck hauling a 5th wheel is not even close, but I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong love the open space of a 5th wheel just don't want to be hauling something that big around the country then have to tool around town in a large truck everywhere.

Low 90's for a 2020 Quantum ws31 fully loaded is not even close to 10K to high as far as my research, But if you can find a new Quantum WS31 for low 80k please guide me to it. Small class A's 34' Range seem to be extremely cheap both in Quality and workmanship as far as I've seen so far unless I want to Spend $300,000 for a Newmar.

But point well taken and I will definitely have that in mind when doing my extended test drive.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

THOR #16115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Offer 35-40% off the MSRP and start there. If they let you walk, you've made great offer for yourself. Just know going in what your "buy or die" number is...and stick to it. Call around and get quotes from several other dealers before you go in.

Offered them 35% less and said that's my one and only offer. They came back $2500 hundred dollars more. I told them thanks but not thanks can't do it. He later messaged and said just want to let you know we've only owned it for 30 days and it is a 2020. I said yes I understand that's as high as I'm going and if you can't do it for that price you can't do it, no worries.

So we will see.

Oh also told him I'd throw in a Patriots Super Bowl hat if that helps. He's from Buffalo
Old 07-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The best of luck to you!

Old 07-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #10

THOR #16115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

LoL yes it is.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post

.....cut.... Then retirement and plan on spending 2 or 3 months at a time in the rig traveling the great US of A.

.....cut.....

Any thoughts on this model:

.....cut.....

Etc

Thanks in advance.
Under the “Etc.” topic I’ll share a few thoughts and or questions not associated with cost which is normally what most people end up discussing.

That’s a lot of motorhome for an E-450 chassis. If you’re looking to be out for months at a time, it’s likely you’ll want to pack more stuff than for a week or two. At that size and with full-wall slide, I would require four-corner weights to confirm it can be loaded in a practical way. Having cargo carrying capacity may not be good enough the way they design and build some rigs.

E-Series have less front wheel cut angle, and with such long wheelbase it’s going to take the proverbial country mile to turn. With a similar wheelbase Ford E-450 I tried a U-Turn once with a medium plus 4 lanes of traffic and had to back up some to complete the turn. Fortunately I did not have a toad, but if you plan to, backing up won’t be an option.

Regarding size of cab, I agree with you that it’s not much of an issues unless it happens to bother you. I like E-Series except for lack of foot space and would buy another. I only wish for a smaller engine doghouse. It would be nice if Ford addresses that with 2021 E-Series.

Lastly, I agree with comment above about renting first. It’s expensive but the best way to really know if it’s a good fit or whether there’s a good chance you’ll be happy. I rented larger Class Cs that convinced me that I’d rather own small and rent large as needed.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

THOR #16115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Under the “Etc.” topic I’ll share a few thoughts and or questions not associated with cost which is normally what most people end up discussing.

That’s a lot of motorhome for an E-450 chassis. If you’re looking to be out for months at a time, it’s likely you’ll want to pack more stuff than for a week or two. At that size and with full-wall slide, I would require four-corner weights to confirm it can be loaded in a practical way. Having cargo carrying capacity may not be good enough the way they design and build some rigs.

E-Series have less front wheel cut angle, and with such long wheelbase it’s going to take the proverbial country mile to turn. With a similar wheelbase Ford E-450 I tried a U-Turn once with a medium plus 4 lanes of traffic and had to back up some to complete the turn. Fortunately I did not have a toad, but if you plan to, backing up won’t be an option.

Regarding size of cab, I agree with you that it’s not much of an issues unless it happens to bother you. I like E-Series except for lack of foot space and would buy another. I only wish for a smaller engine doghouse. It would be nice if Ford addresses that with 2021 E-Series.

Lastly, I agree with comment above about renting first. It’s expensive but the best way to really know if it’s a good fit or whether there’s a good chance you’ll be happy. I rented larger Class Cs that convinced me that I’d rather own small and rent large as needed.

Chance, thanks for your feedback I will definately look into GVWR versus actual of rig as shown, good point.

As far as pulling a u-turn, Not something I'm that concerned with. I have a 35' 5th wheel and there is no way to pull a u-turn with that either. I've been in a few situations where I've needed to turn around and you just have to drive until you find a parking lot somewhere. I imagine it's the same way with a class A.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
U-Turns with fifth-wheel trailers?
We got that covered!

Old 07-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #14

THOR #16115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
U-Turns with fifth-wheel trailers?
We got that covered!

Damn it why didn't I think of that....That is awesome!!!!
Old 07-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If I can't be useful: I at least try to provide some "light-heartedness"!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #16

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
mhsrv.com has some 2020 Quantum WS31's, well-optioned, for $90K.

I have a 2018 Chateau 31E, which is the same floor plan as the Quantum WS31. Here are some of my lessons learned for your info.

- It took about 18 months to work out all the initial issues. Most were minor, but there were a few significant items that happened during the first year of ownership. Factory quality control is poor.

- I made a number of improvements to mine to make it nicer to drive. I got a good alignment, installed big swaybars and a steering controller, and these made a big difference. I also replaced the stock in-dash stereo, which annoyed the heck out of me. And I added insulation inside the doghouse. I still want to do more sound insulation and upgrade the shocks.

- Based on the 2 points above, I would recommend buying a slightly used one. It should have the major bugs worked out and you avoid the large initial depreciation hit. Mine is nicer now than when it was new. However, a new one has the full warranty, which is worth something, so if you can't find a used for much cheaper then maybe it makes sense to get new.

- The huge full-wall slideout has been finicky. It sometimes takes multiple tries to retract. Early this year a dealer did some kind of adjustment on it, and it was working fine for awhile, but it has recently started doing it again.

- The turning radius is huge, so it is very cumbersome around town. We used to have a 24' class C and it was so much easier to maneuver around town, gas stations, etc.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #17

THOR #5837
If you want more details on my Chateau 31E experience and issues, they are in this thread:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...31e-14116.html
Old 07-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
If you want more details on my Chateau 31E experience and issues, they are in this thread:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...31e-14116.html

Have you weighed it?

Overloading has come up a few times on these larger Cs.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #19

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Have you weighed it?

Overloading has come up a few times on these larger Cs.

No, I haven't weighed mine, but I've seen weights posted for similar floor plans. I agree, they are usually at or near the rear axle limits. I think increasing the spring rate at the rear and maybe a bit of rear lift would be helpful.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
No, I haven't weighed mine, but I've seen weights posted for similar floor plans. I agree, they are usually at or near the rear axle limits. I think increasing the spring rate at the rear and maybe a bit of rear lift would be helpful.
Sometimes: it's not the springs that are the limiting factor.
Axles also have load limitations. You can sometimes "Cheat" on them, by adding an axle truss.
(But I didn't say that... )