Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I would get a level and check to see if the trax are mounted level. This could cause stress on the motor. With mine, I found the pins in the connector were not making solid connections. I straightened the pins and have not had any issues since.

2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #62

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr View Post
oh boy this thread is scaring me. I bought my hurricane 34J because I love the floor plan for my family.
RobbieH what brand motorhome did you buy this time that you like?
We just bought a 34J in July and used it for a week and it has been in for service ever since. We only put 300 miles on it and took it in for the roof leaking, the windshield leaking and the slide out leaking when in the closed position and plumbing leaks in the outdoor kitchen . After 7 weeks, they have diagnosed that the slide has buckled in the center and needs to be removed from our coach and rebuilt. I visited the dealer yesterday and met a Thor rep about the issues. The dealer has a string run along the bottom of our slide in the out position and when measured, there is a 3/4" downward bow in the very center of the slide.

The dealer has asked for weeks and Thor finally approved the work after sending a rep and getting tired of hearing from me. All of the cabinetry and the bunks have to be removed and the slide taken out of the unit to be repaired. The dealer is expecting to find other issues with the aluminum frame after removing the floor of the slide.

I have been without our new purchase for 7 weeks and the future is not looking good for us!!

Love the layout and look of the Thor 34J but am really disappointed in the lack of quality of this build, the more we look the more we find.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #63

State: Texas
THOR #7726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
What "new" brand did you buy?
We traded our new 2017 Thor 35.2 for a new 2017 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36UA. Much better quality.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #64

State: Washington
THOR #16395
Smaller motorhomes

I've noticed that the issues seem to follow the larger, over 30', RV's. Doe anyone have experience with a smaller 25' that is newer than 2018?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #65

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while I have a 35' coach, both of my slides have had issues, with motor replacements in both, and a full gear/column replaced on the full wall slide, but 70,000 miles since with no other issues - and they get a LOT of use.

my belief is that these systems are designed well, but it also seems to me that they are designed with more of an 'exacting' placement and physical usage in order to operate successfully all the time, at least from an engineering point of view.
The 'real world' though, says that the manufacturers don't always successful measure and cut and install and drill and screw things 'exactly' as they might be designed to be installed, and when the new owner actually starts 'using' the system, and traveling, and the real world elements kick in, such as movement, tilting, out-of-kilter leveling, etc,etc,... the system may not be able to operate as designed.

Hydraulics, which used to be the more 'norm' for slide systems, didn't have the same type of problems because they are mounted and installed in such a way as to be able to surmount these 'real world' elements with more cushion...they're not as sensitive.

I don't think that the issue with the full wall slides is the weight, as it may seem, although the weight of the slide probably helps to exasperate any problem that does arise. I think the issues are more of a slide being built and installed 'square', so that the gears ride in the rails properly. Once a gear skips a tooth in the rail, the problems begin.
If one end is out of sync with the other, you have the ability to solve that, by 'resyncing', but if the top is out of sync with the bottom, there is no resolution, other than replacing the gear column - unless you are an rv dealer and have the equipment to totally REMOVE the slide altogether to repair it.

Once the initial 'square' issues are resolved, if any, the only other real problem can be the motors themselves. If their wiring harness, or circuit board, has a wiring issue, you can lose the motor, though they can be replaced, even by the owner - I've done several myself.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #66

Model: Hurricane 34F, Lincoln MK
State: Arizona
THOR #7663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Yes I am aware that it needs to be held until it opens or closes all the way. I also wait a couple of seconds once its done. My front side of slide binds and gets stuck mid way while trying to close.it runs in about 4 to 6 inches and then gets stuck while the rear is still closing. The manufacture told the dealer today to chk the rollers for adjustment. I will repost with final outcome.
I know this is an old post. I've major problems with my full body slide, come to find out, I had a column installed at build that was installed almost 1/2 inch too low, causing the rear slide to hang up. Be very careful, after replacing too many rails it causes the holes to enlarge. I had 24 hours in my fiberglass with 4 holes counting as 2 each, they were that long of a hole. Now I have overkill for my bottom rails, if it stays, then great, if not, I'm looking at a new fiberglass replacement in the future.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #67
Kgg

State: Wisconsin
THOR #8158
Slide

I have the ace 30.2 the slide drags on the floor now when it’s almost in at first I put silicone lube on it now it a indent on the floor I am afraid one time in won’t go all the way in calling our local rv shop to see if they can fix it or call cow in Milwaukee if they can
Old 08-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #68

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
my full wall 22' slide did this fairly early on, making an indention a little more than halfway back in front the bunks - while it didn't tear the tile, the indention is still there over 4 years later.
While watching the slide come in, I saw that it was starting to dip down as it neared the end of the run. I couldnt' put my finger on the issue since the ends were not having the same problem.
Later, when the slide had another issue, and CW changed out the front motor, they also found something they had found under that same bunk area of the slide - when he handed it to us, we gasped! It was our son's framed photo!
It looked like it had gone thru the ringer, and had probably been under the slide for some time, getting caught up in one of the rollers, or something like that.

We've had no more 'slide dipping' issues since then.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #69

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #16558
Slide out 2019 Thor ACE 30.2

How can I tell if I got the 3 tracks system on my slide out
Old 12-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
With that full-wall slide that you've got: I'd bet a half-eaten donut; that you've got the 3-Trax system under it...
That's a nice-looking floorplan...

When it's extended: take a look underneath it. You should see a spot where that third track and motor are sitting.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #71

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
With the slide out, count the tracks visible on the side of the slide. For a three track in-wall slide, there will be two tracks near the top of the slide wall and one next to the bottom.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #72

THOR #16558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
With that full-wall slide that you've got: I'd bet a half-eaten donut; that you've got the 3-Trax system under it...

When it's extended: take a look underneath it. You should see a spot where that third track and motor are sitting.
. Ok thanks I’ll check it out
Old 12-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #73

THOR #16558
Thor slideout

Thanks you all for answering my question I’m going to check it out
Old 12-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #74
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Still only two motors but three tracks on the side of the slide. Nothing but rollers underneath.