Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #6007
Thor ACE 29.3 interest...would like advice

This amongst my first posts...we are a retired couple living in FL (no surprise there!).

We have an interest in a Thor 29.3, winnebago vista lx 27n or newmar 27-29 footer..

Dare I say it seems in the 'quality' level of things it would go newmar, winnebago and then the thor...with this said we might buy a new 29.3 new for the cost of a one year old winn or 2 year old newmar.

Any perspective of 29.3 ish units would be appreciated....new units have pluses and minuses...comments on warranty work would be appreciated as we could be buying out-of-state.

Thank you

Old 03-08-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
We purchased a 2016 ACE 29.2 new. No complaints. Great size to drive and for wife & myself. We have had some minor issues which was taken care of with no problems . My only advice is having a dealer you trust and can work with after purchase. This wasnt our first RV so I feel most units have minor issues.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 AM   #3

THOR #6007
Thank you
Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
We purchased our 29.3, 2017 last september and really like it. Yes there are units out there of better quality, I feel this unit has just enough of the fancy things to make it work for me. A couple things I did not like was the placement of the king ant. I had problems with the reception but after having it surviced a loose connection was found. I have been having problem with the two piece sliding door in the bedroom. I beleive that problem also is on the way to getting taken care of.

All in all I think its a great unit.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Yes, there is the advantage of having a warranty on a new motorhome, but keep in mind that, unlike auto dealers, a local RV dealer doesn't "have to" do work on your coach if you didn't buy it from them. You will most likely be put at the end of the line for service locally, with the priority being given to servicing customers who bought from them.

With regard to quality across manufacturers, yes, there are differences. I often marvel at how much we pay for our toys, and how much we put up with in terms of poor fit and finish issues on them. Across the many travel trailers and motorhomes I have bought over the years, I have resigned myself to doing most of the repair items myself. That being said, I enjoy it - it's kind of like being a kid and fixing up my tree house the way I want it!

Good luck with your decision
Old 03-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There are lots of complaints about Thor, but there are lots of complaints about other brands too!!! Find the floor plan you like, sit in it for a while to make sure you will be comfortable, and if you like it then that's the one for you!

We are in our second Thor, could have purchased any other brand but didn't have any problems with our first one, and liked the floor plan. Very happy with our choice!!!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
We have had our 2016 Ace 29.3 for almost a year and my main complaint is the black water holding tank fills up too quickly. It is only 26 gallon and the bathroom sink drains into it as well as the toilet... Three days with only two of us being careful and it needs to be dumped. The gray water tank is not close to being full. Next time we buy a motorhome we will make sure both holding tanks are at least 40 gallons. We dry camp a lot so this is important to us. So far only minor problems that were taken care of under warranty.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

THOR #6007
Thanks, comment is helpful
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I say RVs are like shoes, we all have our own preferences in styles and quality/price points. This has been well covered in this and other forums.

Some feel that a one or two year old RV will have the bugs worked out of it, which may or may not be true. That first year depreciation is brutal, like with cars and trucks, and in 3 or 4 years, they are often only worth about half of the new cost. Some want to have a bed, bathroom and kitchen that no one has used before them. (How do they ever stay at a hotel?)

FWIW: Several years ago, I had a conversation with a guy who delivers motor homes from several different manufacturers. I asked his opinion of the best, and his quick answer was Newmar.

Personally, we found our Vegas 25.2 a perfect fit for the way we travel and the stuff we take along. We bought ours from a dealer closer to the Indiana factory, and saved most of the delivery charge to Florida.

Good luck with your decisions!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #10

State: Alaska
THOR #6077
Ace 29.3

We purchased a 2017 new the end of October. We've already spent 52 nights in it, drove from Atlanta, GA to California and back and two trips to the Florida panhandle. We are exceptionally pleased with our decision to purchase this rig. It drives like a dream, even two days of heavy wind in the California and Texas deserts. It isn't too fancy, which is to our liking. The newest models have larger windows and we really like that. The 29.3 has the dinette on the passenger side with a large window, so you look out at your picnic table, not the road!

We downsized from a 30 foot fifth wheel and I only miss two things: there really isn't a "living room" if you entertain guests (with just the two of us on the long trip, this wasn't an issue); and I don't have a "carport" under the hitch to put chairs and stuff when it rains.

It's been to Camping World for some warranty stuff, all fairly minor, twice. I fixed two things myself with a call to Thor technical. Two of the three valves for the water heater bypass are hidden, one requiring complete removal of a panel!!!! I cut out a 4 x 4 square, put on a hinge and pull knob, so now I just have to move stuff in the cupboard away to open or close the valve.

It is built far better than our fifth wheel was. We got 9.5 mpg on the 6k mile trip, a number I'm quite happy with. We have the outside kitchen, which I would not have ordered, but having it, we really use it!