Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Thor ACE 30.1 - New Cable from Battery Compartment to Switch Panel wall

I'm adding a Trimetric battery monitor (2030-A, which is mounted flush to the wall) to my ACE 30.1, and will likely add a Trimetric solar charger this spring. I plan on mounting the Trimetric panel on the same wall that has the switch panel for the front slide, generator, hot water heater, pump, etc. I added a See-Level this year, which was simple as I didn't have to run any new wiring - just intercept existing wiring. This is the hollow wall that is outside the bathroom.

The Trimetric has a 4-wire cable that runs from a shunt in the battery compartment to the the monitor panel. The future solar charger will also require a telephone cable. Before I start the installation, I need to figure out how to route the cables from the battery compartment into the panel wall. I'm guessing that I might be able to access the cable/heater duct chase that is under the toilet/vanity in the bathroom, which I think is where most of the existing wiring runs. Thought is to run under the coach into the wet compartment where some of the panel wiring ends up and then parallel from there - if I can access enough to get a fish tape from point A to point B.

I haven't started to investigate the best wiring route, so before I do I hope to benefit from prior knowledge. Have any 30.1 owners (or some of the 30.1 brother models) routed new wire to the switch panel area, and if so, how did you do it?

You may also notice that I've swapped out the analog thermostat that comes with the coach to a Honeywell digital thermostat. Thanks to Ray of Love Your RV for the video showing what to buy and how to do it. You can't see in the picture, but there is a rocker switch under the thermostat that I installed to control the high-low fan speed.

RV Thermostat Upgrade Honeywell FocusPRO 5000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4141.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	6535  

Old 08-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
Yes i have a 30.2 and ran my wire down the wall and out behind the drawer under the Fridge. Not sure if your model has the drawer or not, but i pulled drawer and the wall already has hole in it for wires. fished the wire down from monitor and through hole in floor to House Batteries.
JEEP JKU
BrianA.C.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

THOR #5190
Went over the coach yesterday and found the answer. Under the bathroom sink, there is access to the duct/wire chase through a removable panel. It looks like all that is needed is to punch a hole through the coach floor under the bathroom sink and run wiring up to the switch panel wall. The bathroom sink sits above the rear axle but there is clearance to work.

The wire run from the chase up the wall is a good example of Thor's approach to craftsmanship. Why not just cut a huge hole in the wall of whatever shape it ends up. Looks like they devoted an entire 15 seconds with a Sawzall. At least it will be easy to fish the new wires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4185.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	6542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4186.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	6543  

Old 09-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #4

THOR #5190
Finished the install. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the floor of the under cabinet cable/duct chase. Hole came out over the driver's side inside tire. Pulled the cables - the 4-wire cable that came with the monitor plus a phone cable for a future SC-2030 solar charger and filled the hole with black Great Stuff foam. Put a plastic cable sleeve over the cable and tied it up to the existing cable runs along the frame rail.

Shunt is installed on the battery compartment wall along with my power distribution block and battery disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4202.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	6905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4209.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	6906