Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Missouri
THOR #2028
Ladder for 27.1 overhead bunk

I've noticed on some (larger?) ACE's the coach comes with a ladder to get into the overhead bunk above the drives area and it has mounting brackets for the ladder to hook into. My 2015 27.1 doesn't have a ladder or brackets but the Windsport appears to have them.

It does appear the bunks are different but it's still a bunk requiring access.

Has anyone bought the ladder separately or bought a different ladder?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholtman View Post
I've noticed on some (larger?) ACE's the coach comes with a ladder to get into the overhead bunk above the drives area and it has mounting brackets for the ladder to hook into. My 2015 27.1 doesn't have a ladder or brackets but the Windsport appears to have them.

It does appear the bunks are different but it's still a bunk requiring access.

Has anyone bought the ladder separately or bought a different ladder?
Todd,

Have you by any chance called Thor and asked if by some stupid chance they forgot to install the ladder (overhead bunk installed on a Friday)? Maybe they can send you one free of charge.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
My ACE 29.3 did not come with a ladder. Appears not supplied by Thor. We bought a 66" ladder from Camping World and cut off a few inches.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

THOR #2028
Thor says the ladder is NOT provided with the bunk in the ACE - but it is with the Windsport (and maybe others) due to them having a different bunk.

The impression I get is someone may have hurt themselves with the ladder on the ACE bunk. So, to protect themselves further Thor eliminated the ladder.

Thor can't help directly, but dealer should be able to order ladder. Or, go to Lowes and most likely save some $$$.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Stromberg Carlson Products is a major manufacturer of RV bunk ladders.

Here is the link to their website:

RV Ladders :: Stromberg Carlson
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #6

THOR #2028
Thanks dstankov. I see CW has them too.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
When we purchased our 29.2 at Camping World in Alabama we asked about a ladder for the overhead bunk since it was clear that our (at that time 5 year old) grandson would be using the bunk most of the time. We were told there was no ladder and that the shelf area behind the dinette bench was to be used as a "step" to get up in the bunk.
We went inside and bought a ladder.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:52 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
Maybe they expect you to get a running start from the back, bounce off a mini trampoline and somersault right into bed :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 AM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #1214
My dealer told me it should have one but it didn't (2015 27.1) So our sales person went and grabbed one. When we got home 200 miles later, I discoved it was 3 inches too short as it didn't touch the ground. I called the sales person but of course he didn't return my calls so I just ordered one off amazon for $65 or so.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:26 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburner View Post
My dealer told me it should have one but it didn't (2015 27.1) So our sales person went and grabbed one. When we got home 200 miles later, I discoved it was 3 inches too short as it didn't touch the ground. I called the sales person but of course he didn't return my calls so I just ordered one off amazon for $65 or so.
When I looked at some pics of that model I noticed the overhead bunk did not have the brackets installed to hold the ladder to the bunk. This indicates to me that a ladder does not come with that particular model.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-19-2015, 01:31 AM   #11

State: Florida
THOR #1393
Mine didn't have a ladder and I was informed that it does not come with one.. It's like buying a new car and being told that the gas cap is an option.. What else did you expect for $80,000.00??
Old 06-19-2015, 02:17 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsnook View Post
It's like buying a new car and being told that the gas cap is an option.
Don't know when you last bought a car but a lot of newer models no longer have a gas cap. My 2012 Ford Focus has no gas cap.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:34 AM   #13

THOR #1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad13 View Post
Don't know when you last bought a car but a lot of newer models no longer have a gas cap. My 2012 Ford Focus has no gas cap.
I was trying to be funny, guess it didn't work.. our recently purchased Ford Explorer also has no gas cap.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
LOL All the latest Ford's have no gas cap. Its called "Easy Fuel":
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...asy%20Fuel.pdf
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I negotiated a bunk ladder from the dealer as part of the deal, when they stopped coming down on the price....
they gave me one that looks just like this, loose
Stromberg Carlson RV Bunk Ladder - Aluminum - Black - 60" Tall Stromberg Carlson Enclosed Trailer Parts LA-460B
I cut it down for better fit, and had to jurry rig the mounting clips a bit, but it turned out ok.
Sorry can't find a picture to share.

I find it a shocker that it's not factory standard.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I negotiated a bunk ladder from the dealer as part of the deal, when they stopped coming down on the price....
they gave me one that looks just like this, loose
Stromberg Carlson RV Bunk Ladder - Aluminum - Black - 60" Tall Stromberg Carlson Enclosed Trailer Parts LA-460B
I cut it down for better fit, and had to jurry rig the mounting clips a bit, but it turned out ok.
Sorry can't find a picture to share.

I find it a shocker that it's not factory standard.
I wonder if it fits into this category. This is from page 75 of the digital version of the new (2014 edition) owner's manual.

Various Thor Motor Coach products are equipped with standard built-in elevated beds
or bed loft areas. These beds can be upwards of 4 to 5 feet above the floor level and are often enclosed on one, two, or three sides and sometimes even partially on a fourth side. Because there are so many potential users and different types of elevated bed designs, elevated beds are not equipped with bed rails.
We feel that you, as the customer, are best equipped to determine if a bed rail system is necessary or best for you based on your intended uses, the actual users of the elevated beds, and the comfort level of the users.

For those customers who would prefer using an elevated bed with a bed rail, there are numerous bed rail styles, heights, and designs available, even in the style of bumpers, which can be purchased at various retail locations and/or the internet.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #17

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I wonder if it fits into this category. This is from page 75 of the digital version of the new (2014 edition) owner's manual.

Various Thor Motor Coach products are equipped with standard built-in elevated beds
or bed loft areas. These beds can be upwards of 4 to 5 feet above the floor level and are often enclosed on one, two, or three sides and sometimes even partially on a fourth side. Because there are so many potential users and different types of elevated bed designs, elevated beds are not equipped with bed rails.
We feel that you, as the customer, are best equipped to determine if a bed rail system is necessary or best for you based on your intended uses, the actual users of the elevated beds, and the comfort level of the users.

For those customers who would prefer using an elevated bed with a bed rail, there are numerous bed rail styles, heights, and designs available, even in the style of bumpers, which can be purchased at various retail locations and/or the internet.
decoded:
While we understand that this will lead to any number of jurry rigged and dangerous solutions, we couldn't really give a flip, and have no intention of adding value by offering any sort of properly engineered solution. Thank you for buying Thor. Enjoy!

This actually reminds me that along with the ladder we were disappointed that there were no provisions, not even at an optional cost, to install some sort of proper safety net or railing.

I actually spent quite a lot of time and effort, and found no commercial solutions readily available for a neat install, and sadly we still have no protection against falls.

In fact, our then three year old after having slept on the sofa on numerous trips, we allowed to sleep up there with her siblings, and we made a quite substantial "fence" out of extra pillows and cushions, but she still fell out in the middle of the night. I don't understand how, but I thank the Lord that she didn't get hurt, it must be at least 4ft to the floor!
Old 06-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
decoded:
While we understand that this will lead to any number of jurry rigged and dangerous solutions, we couldn't really give a flip, and have no intention of adding value by offering any sort of properly engineered solution. Thank you for buying Thor. Enjoy!

This actually reminds me that along with the ladder we were disappointed that there were no provisions, not even at an optional cost, to install some sort of proper safety net or railing.

I actually spent quite a lot of time and effort, and found no commercial solutions readily available for a neat install, and sadly we still have no protection against falls.

In fact, our then three year old after having slept on the sofa on numerous trips, we allowed to sleep up there with her siblings, and we made a quite substantial "fence" out of extra pillows and cushions, but she still fell out in the middle of the night. I don't understand how, but I thank the Lord that she didn't get hurt, it must be at least 4ft to the floor!
What I find amazing is they do not even offer rails and ladders as an available option. I would also be interested in knowing if this was an across the board "solution" or for selected models only.

To me it stinks like a rotten vendor dispute and this was Thor's way out or work around.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #19

THOR #908
I can't really answer your question for sure
but I do know that when i was shopping around, other manufacturers included a net as a fall railing, and I'm pretty sure ladders too.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I can't really answer your question for sure
but I do know that when i was shopping around, other manufacturers included a net as a fall railing, and I'm pretty sure ladders too.
The 2016 Challenger appears to still include a ladder so why not other models? My 2015 came with a ladder.
FMCA - F432054