Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Strange awning problem

Yesterday I backed the RV on my sloped driveway (but it was not straight back like I normally do....slight angle) .....plugged the RV in my 30 amp power and cracked the AC down. I figured I would do some work inside (never ending mods) but never got around to it (busy in the yard).

Well I had the awning out to keep the sun off that side of the RV but when I went back to the RV 3 hours later I could see water (from the AC unit) leaking out of the lower part of the awning (Motor area).

Well I didnt think to much of it until I tried to retract it and it didnt nothing (by then I had the AC off and un plugged). So I checked the fuse box under the bed and even the fuse relay at the battery...everything was fine.

I cranked up the Genny to see if that would give it more power. Nothing.

So then I pulled the switch out of the wall (one wire was off but it might have been loose and fell off when I pulled it out). Nothing.

I checked the 2 amp fuse behind the switch - it was fine. I even tested it with my multi meter to make sure 100%.

Then I got my latter out (good thing I was at home) and pushed a little on the awning some while my wife pushed the button. Nothing.

I wacked the motor on the down side with my hand. Nothing.

I went to the other side and wacked the motor then My wife said - "maybe its the the angle of the RV?" .....I said "Honey i had this awning out on our drive 100 times before and ever had a problem".....So I moved the RV a little to the right to change the angle.... And the Awning reacted like normal!

What in the heck is going on??

Loose wire? Water cause problem with motor? A sensor on the awning tell it was off angle too much?? Bad switch?

Now all I will think about when I deploy it "I sure hope this thing retracts again".

Any Ideas?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
My guess: sumpin loose somewhere.

I would deploy and retract that awning at least a half dozen times at home maybe moving the RV a little in between each cycle to see if I could repeat the symptoms.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Ok, thats what im thinking.

But we DONT have a sensor on these awnings when the angle is too extreme do we? I never seen any mention of this in the past.

Is it common for the motor to get wet and not work? I might take both covers off of each side to see if any loose wires.

Do we have a way to disengage the motor and roll up manually in case of an emergency?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #4

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
My guess would be there was enough tension or resistance that it wouldn't move. The motors are setup to stop if they encounter resistance, hit something. With the rig being on an angle, there may be enough pressure on it to stop it from moving.

Just my .02.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 PM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
I learned the hard way when doing mods and maintenance.
To NOT turn the key on, lower the windows (E450) and forget to turn the key off.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Check with the awning manufacturer. I believe CareFree of Colorado has the ability to manually roll it up with a small socket wrench in case it stops operating and you need to drive the mh. Check the cover area that is nearest the front of the mh to access a possible point to crank it back in.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:02 AM   #7

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Check with the awning manufacturer. I believe CareFree of Colorado has the ability to manually roll it up with a small socket wrench in case it stops operating and you need to drive the mh. Check the cover area that is nearest the front of the mh to access a possible point to crank it back in.
Ok, thanks. I will check this weekend. I sure hope it had a manual way to crank up. That would make me feel better ..... you get kinda gun shy when you have problems like this.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:33 AM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
To NOT turn the key on, lower the windows (E450) and forget to turn the key off.
Learned the same thing. Packing up in a light rain and the awning roll up was to be the last step after stowing blocking, rug, etc. Started up to roll off our blocks, stowed them and then went to roll up the awning. Nope, no go. Now what's wrong? NEVER a problem before. Then thought maybe a safety stop in the RV ignition. Yeap, turned off motor and awning retracted like normal.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

THOR #12231
You know what.... your right.

I think I had my engine going at that time. Because I turned off the Roof AC (inpluged and stowed the cord) and then turned on the engine to crank up the dash AC to keep the RV cool inside. Once I realized it was not working, checking fuses, checked other stuff while the engine was running then moved the RV a little to decrease the angle/ slope... shut off the engine..... then it retracted.

I dont know why I didnt think about that before.

I always remember to turn off engine before I deploy the slide.

Thank you so much.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #10

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Glad you figured it out!
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You know what.... your right.

I think I had my engine going at that time. Because I turned off the Roof AC (inpluged and stowed the cord) and then turned on the engine to crank up the dash AC to keep the RV cool inside. Once I realized it was not working, checking fuses, checked other stuff while the engine was running then moved the RV a little to decrease the angle/ slope... shut off the engine..... then it retracted.

I dont know why I didnt think about that before.

I always remember to turn off engine before I deploy the slide.

Thank you so much.
I think we've all been there; once! I know I have.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
What he said
Same thing happened to me early on
We learn new things about our rigs everyday
Old 07-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #13

THOR #12231
100% confirmed..... The ignition key cuts off power to the Awning. I tested it yesterday. Key cannot be on ACC or the ON position in order to work the Awning. I was just trying to keep the RV cool while I put stuff away....I need to start with the awning the next time.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #14

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
I learned this in my delivery inspection. Guy had been going through all the systems with RV running and when he shut it down key only went as far as aux. As a last thought I went to run the owning out and back (I'd seen it work before on this rv); no response. Service Mgr played with switch and called tech over to take a look. He went straight to the key, turned it off, and the awning operated as designed. I guess that's a good safety procedure to prevent it from accidentally being deployed while driving. Safe travels.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote