Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thor CEO on importing smaller RVs

Thor’s CEO, Bob Martin, thinks American RVs are too large for Europe, but sounds like he’s planning on importing more European RVs to North America. A few are already imported through RoadTrek/Hymer.

Thor's Martin Sees 'Mutual Benefits' with Hymer | RV Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by article excerpt
As far as products, Martin said that EHG North America – the company formed a few years ago when EHG acquired Roadtrek – has already begun “importing” European products to North America. Thor’s pending acquisition of EHG could certainly accelerate or even expand on that opportunity, he said. Likewise, there “could be opportunities for our companies to go over and simply learn,” he added.

Specifically, Martin pointed out, Thor should be able to leverage EHG’s status as Mercedes-Benz’s No. 1 customer for its Sprinter van and chassis. “They (EHG) have a brand new chassis they just released,” he stated. “They build the chassis for Mercedes and it’s a lightweight chassis, so it’s better fuel economy and they have an exclusive on that. They created it and then turned it over to the chassis manufacturer. But they did it in conjunction with Mercedes.”

While he didn’t expect North American products to be sent over to Europe – U.S.-built RVs are too big and heavy for Europe’s tight and weight-restricted roads – Martin saw an opportunity to leverage EHG’s campervan products for North America’s Class B customers.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
He's trying to grow the market that is "near & dear to your heart".
Can you blame him?
Personally: I think that we should export all of the 45 foot diesel-pushers to Europe...

It would clog them up, and we could take over the World!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I think your on to something Bob. Need to send them to China too!

I like the Small motorhome RV's, but rather have them like around the Axis/Vegas size (25 - 28 foot) but with more features and slides (3 slides in my Axis - OMG).

Most of the van based euro's are too small for my taste (at least rigth now).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm interested in those tiny, wet-bath sardine cans only out of curiosity...
If I'm taking a crap AND a shower at the same time: something has gone drastically wrong!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

THOR #2121
I think the point made about shift in demographics is key.

In my opinion younger buyers are more likely to want to experience nature and basic/rustic camping more than do older buyers. Lower costs (purchase, repairs, fuel, etc.) may be a factor also. Older RVers seem to prefer RVs that resemble their house, and stay inside with two A/Cs blasting instead of cycling, hiking, etc.

I’m in the middle. I would prefer not having a wet bath or cramped corner bed, but at same time wouldn’t want a motorhome with dual fireplaces; an innovation Thor is introducing in a 45-ft DP. An occasional campfire is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Can you blame him?
....cut....
No, but I fear by the time Euro-sized campers could get here, that North American marketing guys will make sure they screw them up, making them no different than what we have today. Thor may leave van campers alone because they can’t change much, but the 22~24 foot Class As will end up with slides and significant added heft.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Airstream has sent about 20% of their total production to Europe for the last 15 years. They manufactured a line of trailers that met 2.3 meters wide restrictions and met the 3500 kg weight restriction. Now than the UK has the same width and weight restrictions as the EU, the 2.55 meter Airstreams are allowed to be sold in the UK and EU, but the specifications for the trailers are different so there is a special line of export Airstreams.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m in the middle. I would prefer not having a wet bath or cramped corner bed, but at same time wouldn’t want a motorhome with dual fireplaces; an innovation Thor is introducing in a 45-ft DP. An occasional campfire is good enough.
TWO of them?!?
Where do I sign up for THAT?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
...with slides and significant added heft.
And nothing else to support that heft - like a credible suspension system. The RV is liable to look like the rice burners where the gas tank is 2" off the pavement and the wheels look like they'll fold out from underneath it.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Can you blame him?
Personally: I think that we should export all of the 45 foot diesel-pushers to Europe...

It would clog them up, and we could take over the World! [emoji38]
Trying to navigate those trucks through the downtowns there? Same with the oversize semis that we use here. They have to stay on the Autopistas and Autobahns. Think they got something to do with semis can only go so fast legally, but cars go another, not to mention the Vespas going in and out, and folks will park ON the edge of the street so you can't see what's coming until you meet it. Oh yeah, and the shoppers dragging thier carts home, the kids on lunch break, tourists...
Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Trying to navigate those trucks through the downtowns there? Same with the oversize semis that we use here. They have to stay on the Autopistas and Autobahns. Think they got something to do with semis can only go so fast legally, but cars go another, not to mention the Vespas going in and out, and folks will park ON the edge of the street so you can't see what's coming until you meet it. Oh yeah, and the shoppers dragging thier carts home, the kids on lunch break, tourists...
Moving all those WAY oversize RVs over there would be like biting a Porcupine in the butt.....then again if you wanted to watch what happens, while you're on the patio or in the Hot tub, sampling the local vintage....Plenty of video for the RVS but not so much for the Audience and it'd be Ok. "HEY YOU! Stop that. This is a classy joint!
Old 10-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #11

THOR #2121
Since Martin had specifically mentioned the new innovative chassis Hymer had develop for Mercedes-powered RVs, i did some research to see if it is indeed that different, or him just blowing smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor CEO Martin
Specifically, Martin pointed out, Thor should be able to leverage EHG’s status as Mercedes-Benz’s No. 1 customer for its Sprinter van and chassis. “They (EHG) have a brand new chassis they just released,” he stated. “They build the chassis for Mercedes and it’s a lightweight chassis, so it’s better fuel economy and they have an exclusive on that. They created it and then turned it over to the chassis manufacturer. But they did it in conjunction with Mercedes.”

From my perspective it’s pretty cool, solving many issues found in small motorhomes; but I’m more interested in reading what you guys think. As usual, I can only post one picture at a time. I will post a few to illustrate the design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17A44904-AC2B-43D7-8B41-03A67156F2EE.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	13234  
Old 10-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #12

THOR #2121
The initial video I found was for a 6.99 meter (23 feet) brand new motorhome based on the new FWD Sprinter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BD6ADC10-F103-4B09-985B-52BE5A7F1BA9.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	13235  
Old 10-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #13

THOR #2121
The double floor provides under-floor storage about 14 inches high (I think) which is accessible from inside or outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	297A141A-A5E6-47C4-B0B3-9DD5938D9308.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	13237  
Old 10-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #14

THOR #2121
As with most Euro designs, has plenty of room for larger items in “garage”. There is really nothing innovative about the garage that I can see. Dimensions are about 35” wide by 48” tall. Nice to have nonetheless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D632B66F-57B1-4F2D-9782-EA285D9DB144.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	13238  
Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #15

THOR #2121
Main negative I can see is that floor access is visible from inside, but that wouldn’t bother me at all. Should note that water and waste tanks are in insulated floor space, so should do great in freezing weather. Plumbing is run in that double floor also, something not normally seen in small motorhomes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A8451F0C-E1B1-46AE-89E6-185F57FB925C.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	13239  
Old 10-05-2018, 04:30 AM   #16

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob denman View Post
i'm interested in those tiny, wet-bath sardine cans only out of curiosity...
if i'm taking a crap and a shower at the same time: Something has gone drastically wrong!
hard to read the sunday paper when it gets wet
Old 10-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #17

THOR #2121
Interesting you should mention a “wet bath”, because the unit shown is one of the very few I’ve seen that small with what appears to be a fairly large dry bath.

Compared to van campers in same 23-ft range the motorhome appears spacious to me, although I don’t think that has much to do with innovative chassis design. And yeah, compared to 30~40 foot motorhomes, it’s a sardine can from any perspective. They also make a 24’-3” Class A version with same chassis design that has a dry split bath, but likely still a sardine can for many tastes.

I’m fairly sure this chassis technology is limited to Front Wheel Drive, so it can probably be made larger, but not to the extent of some American rigs.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That front wheel drive is a big reason for all that in-floor storage: no driveshaft there making for all that extra space for storage.

Looking at that chassis you can see where the rear drops for the garage in the back. I would guess something like that would reduce towing capacity (something that is likely not needed as much in European campers). Which is probably why US units don't have such a setup--we love our towing around these parts.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #19

THOR #2121
You’re right Jamie, these small rigs can’t tow that much anyway — limited by GCWR. I guess the point is that for many buyers (like me) if the unit is small enough, you don’t need to tow much — at least not a toad. Maybe a jet ski or motorcycle trailer?

Anyway, since this covers the new Mercedes Sprinter, I thought some would like to see the swivel front seats with integrated seatbelts. It’s only a small detail, but one that makes the unit feel larger (compared to our Transit where driver can’t swivel). Seats are similar to Ducato/ProMaster option used on many motorhomes. Seems obvious Mercedes is going after Fiat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	265105B6-3623-4537-BF73-83B515DEA8D6.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	13242  
Old 10-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's a nice-looking design: were you able to find anything more about it: a floorplan perhaps?

The interior access to the underfloor storage has an easy solution: throw-rugs!
I'm just a little bit curious about departure angles... that garage looks as if it might want to drag a little bit.