Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Florida
THOR #11770
Thor Coach Help

We bought a new Thor Axis last year. We had a few problems and Thor Corrected them at their Elkhart Location. We traveled across the country and had a few more minor problems. We tried 4 dealers and was refused and told to go to the selling dealer. We contacted Thor that our Warranty would expire before we got home. Thor Very Graciously extended our warranty, until we got home.
We had trouble with General rv, but Thor Warranty dept. and General rv Corporate helped us get our coach serviced.
If any new rvers need some advice, Phone numbers Warranty People and all about the Rv Expierence- I would be pleased to help. BWB
Smilies

Submit New Thread Preview Post

Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I know Thor Corporate reads these forums...with that said, I think its time Thor lower the boom on the "no service" dealer network. Thor is big enough, has a huge line of products and the dealers make great profits...on the RV's s well as related product sales. We should start an informative, ongoing thread here on specific dealers that refuse to service a warranted Thor product simply because they were not purchased from them. I'll start by throwing in "Southern RV" in McDonough. I was specifically told...while he chuckled in my face..."we don't do warranty work on anything not purchased from us". I told him...I tried but you didn't have what I wanted and the sales goober didn't have the time to try to find it. They didn't think I was serious about purchase...their bad!! Im going to start the thread myself in just a few minutes..."Thor Dealers That Will Not Support Thor Warranty If Not Purchased From Them".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #3

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I have been trying to find someone that can recommend a dealer for warranty work in the Houston area. Everyone told me to never take my Thor 31Z to any Thor dealer. The recommendations were to find an independent shop and pay for it or try to use my extended warranty. Why can’t Thor use independent shops for warranty work? I also can’t find any place to do a front end alignment on the F53. Unbelievable.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I have been trying to find someone that can recommend a dealer for warranty work in the Houston area. Everyone told me to never take my Thor 31Z to any Thor dealer. The recommendations were to find an independent shop and pay for it or try to use my extended warranty. Why can’t Thor use independent shops for warranty work? I also can’t find any place to do a front end alignment on the F53. Unbelievable.

Everyone? Did you contact any of the Thor Dealers in the Houston area?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Thor MC has a max hourly labor rate for warranty work negotiated in the dealer arrangement. This rate is significantly below the going labor rate. Most dealers barely make a profit on repair work anyway. Then there is the fact that most Dealers pay their techs significantly less than the independent RV repair shops, so the independent shops have the most experienced techs. Thor requires documentation of the work to be performed before any labor is authorized, the return of all warranty parts replaced and complete documentation of the work performed. Small dealers do not have the staff to comply with Thor MC's requirements so it up to the service manager to all the paper work and phone calls. So what to do?
There are many great Thor Industries Dealers out there. MHSRV and Youngbloods in Mayfield are two I have used for 22 years. As for warranty or not service, I would always recommend you call Thor MC customer service and ask for a recommendation for a mobile tech in your area. Usually if your coach is under warranty, Thor MC will authorize reimbursement for the service IF certain requirements are met.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
This is a great idea,also I think you can use rv certified mobile repair services,we've used them on past motor homes with after market warranties,and we're much better than repair shops and dealers.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Every "dealership" of every product they sell has to go through the same exact process for warranty work and reimbursement...they all have a space "out back" for parts to return. Thor doesn't have any requirements more stringent than any other business out here. This is a part of the benefits of owning a business that retails other's products. If you don't want to dance, go home. ALL Thor dealers should perform warranty work on any unit that comes in...it's in their contract and they agreed to it in order to get the product line. Obviously, prioritize your customers first, but refusing to do warranty work...they should have their agreement canceled. If Thor would enforce this and cancel a few dealers, the service would improve.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #8

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor MC has a max hourly labor rate for warranty work negotiated in the dealer arrangement. This rate is significantly below the going labor rate. Most dealers barely make a profit on repair work anyway. Then there is the fact that most Dealers pay their techs significantly less than the independent RV repair shops, so the independent shops have the most experienced techs. Thor requires documentation of the work to be performed before any labor is authorized, the return of all warranty parts replaced and complete documentation of the work performed. Small dealers do not have the staff to comply with Thor MC's requirements so it up to the service manager to all the paper work and phone calls. So what to do?
There are many great Thor Industries Dealers out there. MHSRV and Youngbloods in Mayfield are two I have used for 22 years. As for warranty or not service, I would always recommend you call Thor MC customer service and ask for a recommendation for a mobile tech in your area. Usually if your coach is under warranty, Thor MC will authorize reimbursement for the service IF certain requirements are met.

I bought my Thor from MHSRV. I have talked to at least 15 people that have used them for warranty work and all had a bad experience. Looks like you are happy with the work they did. It’s about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Everyone? Did you contact any of the Thor Dealers in the Houston area?

What I have done is ask anyone I see with a Thor product where they have gone to get warranty work done. Then I ask how they would rate them or if they would recommend them. So far no one has ever recommend a dealer.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

THOR #14120
Quote:

The shop I took my RV in to have all the tow equipment installed is a Tiffin warranty provider. He’s not a dealer.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
What I have done is ask anyone I see with a Thor product where they have gone to get warranty work done. Then I ask how they would rate them or if they would recommend them. So far no one has ever recommend a dealer.
Read the Warranty! "For warranty repairs contact a Thor authorized Service Center" (dealer) or call Thor Warranty Department 877-855-2867-- Those are your choices.
My dealer (Carpenters Campers) in Pensacola has been outstanding and Thor has always supported any requests for information, diagrams or warranty.

For non-warranty I use the dealer or a mobile tech if it's not DIY.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #12

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post

Read the Warranty! "For warranty repairs contact a Thor authorized Service Center" (dealer) or call Thor Warranty Department 877-855-2867-- Those are your choices.

My dealer (Carpenters Campers) in Pensacola has been outstanding and Thor has always supported any requests for information, diagrams or warranty.

I did read the warranty. And I called Thor to find out what options I may have. I am happy you have a outstanding dealer. Makes a big difference in the owner experience.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
I bought my Thor from MHSRV. I have talked to at least 15 people that have used them for warranty work and all had a bad experience. Looks like you are happy with the work they did. It’s about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me.
One for great warranty service at MHSRV. We were spending a couple days at Belton Lake ORA when we lost the power ports on the dash and the electric portion of the water heater (Sept. 2016). I called MHSRV and ask if I could have some one look at coach before we headed back to Murray, KY. The service tech supervisor said if I could be there by 10 am the next day, they would look at the coach. We pulled into the delivery area, and the tech was waiting for us. We vacated the coach with our three cats, signed the work order and he went to work. One hour later, the tech came to the office and got me to show me where the fuse was located for the dash power ports and show me the burnt to a crisp water heater relay. We were eating lunch in Alvarado at 11:30 am. By the way, those two items and the patio awning LEDs (replaced by Youngbloods RV in Mayfield, KY under warranty) are the only problems we have ever had with the coach in three years and 27,000 miles.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #14

THOR #14120
Quote:
One for great warranty service at MHSRV. We were spending a couple days at Belton Lake ORA when we lost the power ports on the dash and the electric portion of the water heater (Sept. 2016). I called MHSRV and ask if I could have some one look at coach before we headed back to Murray, KY. The service tech supervisor said if I could be there by 10 am the next day, they would look at the coach. We pulled into the delivery area, and the tech was waiting for us. We vacated the coach with our three cats, signed the work order and he went to work. One hour later, the tech came to the office and got me to show me where the fuse was located for the dash power ports and show me the burnt to a crisp water heater relay. We were eating lunch in Alvarado at 11:30 am. By the way, those two items and the patio awning LEDs (replaced by Youngbloods RV in Mayfield, KY under warranty) are the only problems we have ever had with the coach in three years and 27,000 miles.

Thanks for the info. My plan is to keep a list (assuming nothing big happens) and drop it off to get it all done at one time. The stuff I can fix is not a big deal. The buying experience at MHSRV was great. We stayed there two nights and found some items that needed to be corrected. They were all over it. I will give them a try before my warranty runs out. The drive is not much fun but I will get over it.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #15

THOR #6411
When your sales lot includes new Prevost, Foretravel, American Coach, and Entergra MCs, it is a wonder they have any time left for the gassers. One good spring month sales are north of 130 million. The time we took delivery of our coach, there was a Foretravel rally nearby. Mitch said they had four trades for the new Realm and two outright purchases. In the delivery barn, we parked next to three Cornerstones but they gave the same detailed service as they did to the big Diesels. When we head north from San Antonio on I-35, we usually plan a couple hours looking at the Hurricanes on the lot.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #16

THOR #14120
We took delivery 10/31/18. And had the same experience. Nexus Ghost on one side and a Prevost on the other. But they treated all of us the same. We did notice that.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #17

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
[QUOTE=jannnda;175758]I did read the warranty. And I called Thor to find out what options I may have. I am happy you have a outstanding dealer. Makes a big difference in the owner experience.[/QUOTE

Sorry-- Reading your prior posts, it seemed you had not contacted any dealers or Thor based on others experiences with Thor dealers. Best of luck getting your repairs completed.

Not only have I been fortunate to have good service from my dealer, he is only 4 miles away. Take care..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #18

THOR #14120
[QUOTE=Hooligan2;176043]
Quote:
I did read the warranty. And I called Thor to find out what options I may have. I am happy you have a outstanding dealer. Makes a big difference in the owner experience.[/QUOTE

Sorry-- Reading your prior posts, it seemed you had not contacted any dealers or Thor based on others experiences with Thor dealers. Best of luck getting your repairs completed.

Not only have I been fortunate to have good service from my dealer, he is only 4 miles away. Take care..

Do you have a good Moto Guzzi dealer near you? I live in Houston and had a great dealer. When he moved on I sold mine haha.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Dealer work around in my area. I have Axis They sell Vegas. Service writer First Question "did you purchase here" No. "Hmmm our Next Open Appointment is 7 months out.......
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Dealer work around in my area. I have Axis They sell Vegas. Service writer First Question "did you purchase here" No. "Hmmm our Next Open Appointment is 7 months out.......

Is that trip to Indiana looking better and better? It’s a beautiful state and there are many wonderful parks enabling you to combine factory repairs with a fun trip. Beats being frustrated and angry.