Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
power cord for vegas/axis

We want to purchase a backup power cord for our 2015 vegas. Has anyone found one for their mh? We've had a couple of close calls, and we don't want to have to scramble to find one.
Without the power cord, we'd be out of luck. We always stay at parks with hookups.
We can order online if need be, but I'd like to know I'm ordering the right one.
As always, thanks for any help.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you asked your dealer?

You could also just make one: Get the raw cable and the 1/4 turn twist lock plug and wire it up.

Or just get something like this one from Amazon. (The twist-lock plug on the RV side is a standard marine connector.)

This one from Campingworld would probably work as well, but its pricey!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

THOR #1448
We're not handy enough to make one.
I noticed a couple of reviews on the cord from Amazon said it didn't fit their rig. I was hoping someone had experience with a new cord. I think our best bet would be to see the cord in person before buying. That means going to our dealer an hour away, if they have it. Not a big deal, but it's alwsys good to have first hand experience. Do appreciate the links. Thanks Jamie
Old 08-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest
We've had a couple of close calls, and we don't want to have to scramble to find one.
What were your close calls?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
We want to purchase a backup power cord for our 2015 vegas. Has anyone found one for their mh? We've had a couple of close calls, and we don't want to have to scramble to find one.
Without the power cord, we'd be out of luck. We always stay at parks with hookups.
We can order online if need be, but I'd like to know I'm ordering the right one.
As always, thanks for any help.
Go to Amazon, search for your 30 amp shoreline hookup and order it. Beats the price of even making your own. No problem. Have fun.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Another good source is any marine supply store (e.g. West Mariner). It is the same chord.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #7

THOR #1448
Thanks for the replies. We definitely won't make one. We will chick out amazon & west mariner.

Jamie, the close calls were with the mower. The vegas is plugged in at home, with the cord across part of the driveway. Remembered at the last minute to move the cord. Only happened twice. Made us think about a replacement.

We also thought a short locking cord with our extension cord might work in a pinch. Something like this Voltec 16-00590 30/30 Amp RV Extension Locking Cord with Ezee Grip 2 ft | American RV Company
Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
Thanks for the replies. We definitely won't make one. We will chick out amazon & west mariner.

Jamie, the close calls were with the mower. The vegas is plugged in at home, with the cord across part of the driveway. Remembered at the last minute to move the cord. Only happened twice. Made us think about a replacement.

We also thought a short locking cord with our extension cord might work in a pinch. Something like this Voltec 16-00590 30/30 Amp RV Extension Locking Cord with Ezee Grip 2 ft | American RV Company
Be careful buying one from West Marine or any marine supply store. The 30 amp connectors are different for dock and RV power. I have 30 amp dock power for my boat that I also use for my RV but I have to use a "generator" connector between the two cords for it to work. The boat cord does not fit in the RV and the RV cord does not fit my dock power.
An extra cord (with a Generator cord connector) also gives you the capability of reaching a post 50' away. Does not happen often, but is nice to have. I carry two cords.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #9

THOR #1448
Thanks Oneilkeys, good to know.