Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2017, 01:03 AM   #181

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave grandusky View Post
I have called customer care a few times about little concerns. They have been kind and helpful in every instance. Thor also replaced my main tv after I cracked the screen. A1 service
I have to agree. THOR has been nothing but responsive to us. They have called when I cc them on warranty issues to make sure they were fixed. There have been minor issues with our 2016 VEGAS, but most we fix ourselves to save s trip to the dealer.

The dealer was using the line once that THOR hadn't approved the repairs. I got the case number from the dealer, called THOR, and found out the dealer hadn't submitted.the request until I called them, then THOR actually approved it two days later.

I sent a copy of the approval to my dealer. Still took the dealer three days to respond.

I just wonder how much of dealers blaming THOR is actually dealer issues?

Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #182

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don't doubt that all the problems and issues that populate this forum are real - and it is somewhat discouraging. But my personal experience with both Camping World and Thor has been quite satisfactory. Our coach has had a few issues but nothing very serious or difficult to correct. Thor builds and sells a great many machines and I have to believe that most of them are pretty good.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 AM   #183

State: Oregon
THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS JARHEAD View Post
I received a call from a Thor Representative yesterday saying her "Vice President" saw my complaints on this forum.....When they sent me a survey, after we bought our Motorhome, I told them about all the problems we were having and how unhappy we were that we chose our Thor Motorhome. It was more of a call insuring me about how they are working on their QC at Thor......I didn't hold back. I laid it all out about the way I felt. ..I do love my Coach......but there is no way a new Coach should be back at the Dealership 4 times with multiple problems, and a few major, and we just bought it in May.....I hope they are trying to improve their QC...... I guess we will see.

I don't think they have. I just bought a 2018 Thor Hurricane 29m. There are two cuts in the Leno and several clips were missing from the screens, the material on the bench is scratched and peeling, there are large chips in the sink, screws in several places were put in crooked, locking washers in the fold out couch are crumbling and falling apart, the bedspread on the master bed was ripped, and I can't get the dealership service department to call me back. Thor customer service has answered all my questions but say they can't do anything until Camping World files a claim. The earliest appointments is mid August so they will take pictures then and who know when the repairs will be approved.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #184

THOR #6826
I'm just guessing here based on my experiences but I'd not be surprised if Thor would send you a new bedspread and whatever "clips" you are missing if you ask them. I think crooked screws and cheap Chinese lock washers is just par for the course. If they bother you it'll probably be easiest just to fix them yourself. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new camper despite the issues.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #185

Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #7414
We purchased a Thor ACE 30.1 a couple of months ago and we developed an electrical issue on a short weekend trip. The issue was that all was fine electrically when we were plugged into shore power, however, when we disconnected the 12volt system did not work, no lights etc. Could not figure out the problem. Thought it might be the converter as the new batteries were also not charging. Called THOR and requested tech. support. Went through four different experts who did not know where the inline fuse was located which would solve the issue. I was directed to look near the converter, under the front steps, everywhere except the right location. Finally, after exchanging a number of pictures it was determined the fuse was located under the hood, in the battery disconnect box. Inside there is a little square looking fuse which has a little push button on right side, pushed it and on came the lights, battery began charging, and all was right again. The last guy just stayed on the line with us through the various possibilities until we got the right one. Thank you last guy, don't know your name but you saved me from getting an ulcer.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #186

State: Oregon
THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I'm just guessing here based on my experiences but I'd not be surprised if Thor would send you a new bedspread and whatever "clips" you are missing if you ask them. I think crooked screws and cheap Chinese lock washers is just par for the course. If they bother you it'll probably be easiest just to fix them yourself. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new camper despite the issues.

Yes I plan to fix what I can. They did send me the clips for the screens but sent me the wrong ones. The cuts in the Leno and the chips in the sink will have to be repaired by a pro. I only mentioned all of these because the question was about the quality of the product coming out of the factory.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #187

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemkoeslag View Post
We purchased a Thor ACE 30.1 a couple of months ago and we developed an electrical issue on a short weekend trip. The issue was that all was fine electrically when we were plugged into shore power, however, when we disconnected the 12volt system did not work, no lights etc. Could not figure out the problem. Thought it might be the converter as the new batteries were also not charging. Called THOR and requested tech. support. Went through four different experts who did not know where the inline fuse was located which would solve the issue. I was directed to look near the converter, under the front steps, everywhere except the right location. Finally, after exchanging a number of pictures it was determined the fuse was located under the hood, in the battery disconnect box. Inside there is a little square looking fuse which has a little push button on right side, pushed it and on came the lights, battery began charging, and all was right again. The last guy just stayed on the line with us through the various possibilities until we got the right one. Thank you last guy, don't know your name but you saved me from getting an ulcer.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture to post would you?
My ACE 27.1 engine does not charge the house batteries.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #188

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
I will admit they have made an attempt to appease me, but by no means have they made any attempt whatsoever to resolve or even attempt to come to a compromise on our major issue. I have lost all respect for management at Thor due to a lack of integrity.

So in light of our situation we've decided to make light of it with some funny memes and some youtube video.

Our first will be at the weigh scale where we have to unhook our trailer for being overweight... But sir the manufacturers literature and factory rep assured me we had 22000 GCVW... I'm sorry but yours is only rated at 18500... You'll need to unhook and leave your trailer over there.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #189

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
We just took delivery of a Quantum WS31. Basically like the coach. Fixed numerous build problems myself. Major ones back to the dealer. My biggest issue is how uncraftsmen like much of their work is. Example. If the wood cut cannot be seen at first glance, it looks as though a dull crosscut blade was used to cut the plywood. Many other examples if either not caring or ignorance of craftsmanship
Old 06-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #190

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kansas
THOR #8008
Cool Thanks

I just joined this forum, glad I did because after reading the problems people are having there is no way I am buying one of these. Spent 2 weekends looking and had decided what model we wanted, well that was wasted time.I guess we will start over. Any recommendations?
Thanks. Rick
Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #191

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannich13 View Post
I just joined this forum, glad I did because after reading the problems people are having there is no way I am buying one of these. Spent 2 weekends looking and had decided what model we wanted, well that was wasted time.I guess we will start over. Any recommendations?
Thanks. Rick
Check out other manufacturer's forums. I had pretty much decided on a Phoenix Cruiser. Small, low volume will highly customize. They have intense following. Read their forum and you will read about them making manufacturing mistakes and then covering them with wood colored tape. Slide leaks, etc.

Check out Forest River, and any quality issue you see here, you will see there. Check out RV.net or other places and read some of the problems even owners of things like Tiffens have.

I checked out Winnebago on several lots and couldn't believe how much trim was cut short, hanging off, etc.

I've come to the conclusion in spending nearly a year researching that certainly all of the lower end, mass market RVs have similar issues. The higher end ones seem to also have a lot of QC issues, they might not have as much issues in terms of manufacturing trash left in them and the like.

Bottom line, you get an RV, be prepared for quite some time dealing with the shoddy work and lack of QC.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 PM   #192

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
We just took delivery of a Quantum WS31. Basically like the coach. Fixed numerous build problems myself. Major ones back to the dealer. My biggest issue is how uncraftsmen like much of their work is. Example. If the wood cut cannot be seen at first glance, it looks as though a dull crosscut blade was used to cut the plywood. Many other examples if either not caring or ignorance of craftsmanship
I've found where they literally just broke off the excess under the bench seat on one side. Most of the wood was split and coming apart. I've since rebuilt one side and just tonight have the other side apart rebuilding it with liquid nails, L-Brackets, and some new wood screws.

I've owned almost all brands at one time or another and this latest one by Thor is by far the worst I've ever owned. Dealer support for me is non-existent and I live here where they are built. They have tried to appease me but not really please me. My biggest concern is Thor's lack of integrity when it comes to major problems. I and others have had a blind eye turned to our major issues and their stance is basically sue us... knowing that most of us would go bankrupt in a lawsuit not to mention it would drag on forever. I love my coach but it's been a real Turd in a leaking punch bowl. Yes they all have issues and their forums will have complainers... so pick your poison. Ideally you'll find a worthy dealer .... that is a good start!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #193

THOR #6826
My 2017 Freedom Elite has its issues but I am very happy with it and have had only good experiences in my interactions with Thor.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #194

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
THOR #7078
is there a lemon law on RV's?
Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 AM   #195

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My 2017 Freedom Elite has its issues but I am very happy with it and have had only good experiences in my interactions with Thor.
My sister traveled down to Lazy Days in Tampa to trade in their 2012 Tiffin (I would estimate they spent two months of actual repair days in Red Bay over last five years) on an '18 Tiffin. They had hoped to make it a quite turnaround, but have found so many issues that they aren't sure they will be able to leave by Saturday.

Turn signal cameras aren't working. Aquahot isn't working. Hole in carpet on slides. Dash is damaged. Many paint blemishes. Cabinet with a cut in it. Kitchen counter with a large blemish, probably needs to be replaced. Quite a few small things as well.

Her adult daughter (pissed that mom is away and not helping with new baby) asked her why she's buying a junkie new RV that requires them to spend this much time checking it thoroughly to find problems.

Fortunately for them, once it's all documented (had to have a Tiffin rep come in and document some stuff, like the paint issues), then they plan to get it all fixed at Red Bay, which is only about 5.5 hours from where they live.

By the way, they traded in their '12 because it had so many problems and the extended warranty is out. However, because Bob Tiffin was fixing most of the issues years out of warranty (most were discovered in first year or so and it took them four more years to address them all on all those trips), they decided to get a Tiffin because even though the manufacturing quality sucks (shocking some of the things they did or didn't do right), Bob Tiffin stood behind all their screw ups, which I agree with them goes a long way.

RV quality sucks right now, regardless of the brand.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #196

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief90 View Post
is there a lemon law on RV's?
Most states do from what I understand.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 AM   #197

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
THOR #7078
what will happen when and if Bob retires
Old 11-10-2017, 02:27 AM   #198

THOR #8012
Quote:
Well, unfortunately their '12 coach was when he stepped away and the son took over. It was a total mess.

My brother in law, who was in Red Bay getting his last out of warranty work before heading to FL (it was scheduled before they decided to trade), said he had wanted to stop in and thank Bob for standing by them and fixing the issues, even though the warranty was expired, and despite all the problems, that him doing what was right convinced them to buy another Tiffin (or something like that).

As it turned out, they left in such a hurry, he didn't have a chance to go talk to him.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:31 AM   #199

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Thor will buy Tiffin.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:33 AM   #200

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Thor will buy Tiffin.
My wife made a similar comment a couple weeks ago. Wondering when Bob retires again, will he trust the kid again or will they just sell it to a big company.