Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #201

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
My sister traveled down to Lazy Days in Tampa to trade in their 2012 Tiffin (I would estimate they spent two months of actual repair days in Red Bay over last five years) on an '18 Tiffin. They had hoped to make it a quite turnaround, but have found so many issues that they aren't sure they will be able to leave by Saturday.

Turn signal cameras aren't working. Aquahot isn't working. Hole in carpet on slides. Dash is damaged. Many paint blemishes. Cabinet with a cut in it. Kitchen counter with a large blemish, probably needs to be replaced. Quite a few small things as well.

Her adult daughter (pissed that mom is away and not helping with new baby) asked her why she's buying a junkie new RV that requires them to spend this much time checking it thoroughly to find problems.

Fortunately for them, once it's all documented (had to have a Tiffin rep come in and document some stuff, like the paint issues), then they plan to get it all fixed at Red Bay, which is only about 5.5 hours from where they live.

By the way, they traded in their '12 because it had so many problems and the extended warranty is out. However, because Bob Tiffin was fixing most of the issues years out of warranty (most were discovered in first year or so and it took them four more years to address them all on all those trips), they decided to get a Tiffin because even though the manufacturing quality sucks (shocking some of the things they did or didn't do right), Bob Tiffin stood behind all their screw ups, which I agree with them goes a long way.

RV quality sucks right now, regardless of the brand.
Again, not intended to excuse Thor's quality issues, but just to point out that Thor isn't alone.

So, for a coach that costs three or four times my ACE, they are on their third day of PDI and my sister is now flying home on Sunday and my brother in law is going to stay in Florida and hopefully they have all the stuff they are going to fix at the dealership done by Wed or Thursday, but then will have to make likely multiple trips to Red Bay (Tiffin service center) to fix the rest of the stuff.

This is an '18 that's been on the lot for about two months. Unfortunately their list of problems is growing and now they are waiting on parts and such.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #202

State: California
THOR #8416
Yikes about Customer Care

We are leaning toward Thor Citation or Liesure Travel Serenity. Guess I better check LT forums to see how their customer care ranks. Please keep us posted on how your issues were resolved by Thor.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #203

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego travelers View Post
We are leaning toward Thor Citation or Liesure Travel Serenity. Guess I better check LT forums to see how their customer care ranks. Please keep us posted on how your issues were resolved by Thor.
Sent you a PM...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:40 AM   #204

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego travelers View Post
Don't read about the vacation from hell post involving an LTV this summer over on IRV2.com!!!

It truly was a vacation from hell, but not LTV's fault. Major problems with troubleshooting a problem with the Sprinter chassis. The couple wound up spending something like a month trying to get it fixed, having it fail multiple times after it was supposed to be fixed, before flying home or driving their toad 3,000 miles home and then eventually I think the RV was transported to them.

But, from what I can tell, that's pretty unusual for that major a Sprinter problem. I think in the end it wasn't as much a major problem, as failure to diagnose. They even had a new wiring harness shipped in from Germany that didn't fix the problem.

I've always heard good things about LTV. I seriously considered them. In the end I opted for a bigger coach, but before that point the only reason I had eliminated LTV was that they didn't offer heated tanks or anyway to use the coach below freezing.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:03 AM   #205

THOR #3916
Quote:
Don't read about the vacation from hell post involving an LTV this summer over on IRV2.com!!!

. In the end I opted for a bigger coach, but before that point the only reason I had eliminated LTV was that they didn't offer heated tanks or anyway to use the coach below freezing.
There is one manufacturer that does have heated tanks and a 3kw generator.
Thor Infinity
Old 11-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #206

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
There is one manufacturer that does have heated tanks and a 3kw generator.
I assume you mean Thor? Since the poster we are referring to mentioned the citation, which has heated tanks and 3200 kw diesel generator. Or, Did you mean one of the countless other manufacturers that isn't LTV that does as well?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #207

THOR #3916
Quote:
I assume you mean Thor? Since the poster we are referring to mentioned the citation, which has heated tanks and 3200 kw diesel generator. Or, Did you mean one of the countless other manufacturers that isn't LTV that does as well?
As I have been described as being a troll.. ignore all that I have posted... sorry to have bothered everyone.
Thor Infinity
Old 11-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #208

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
As I have been described as being a troll.. ignore all that I have posted... sorry to have bothered everyone.
Look at it this way. Via post and PMs you are telling everyone how bad Thor is and how great Foretravel is. A new foretravel sells for 800,000 to 1,000,000 compared to my ACE selling for less than 90,000.

So, what you are doing is akin to going to a forum dedicated to people that have purchased double wide trailers and you imparting the wisdom that none of them knew on their own, which is if instead of living in the double wide, if they hired a custom home builder to build them a custom 2,000 square for house for $800,000 or so, the quality would be much better and they would be much happier than with their $80,000 double wide.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:32 AM   #209

Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
Couldn't say it better! Love my Challenger.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #210

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
I picked up my Thor Windsport Dec 9th & just got a courtesy call today from Thor Customer Care.

I'm impressed, less than a month & that's with some holidays mixed in.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #211

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
This will probably be the last time you will be impressed with anything Thor! Just saying!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #212

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
This will probably be the last time you will be impressed with anything Thor! Just saying!

I’ve had several direct interactions with Thor and in each one I’ve found them to be interested, helpful and responsive. None have been for complicated stuff but I’m hopeful. And I really liked my coach!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #213
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I actually called them this week (My first call to them!). They had initially declined to replace the missing Blu-Ray player in my rig.
(Anybody could remove one, and say that it was never there! )
Once I explained to the fellow, that due to where they put it: it just can't be seen until you're standing up on a milk-crate, he was happy to okay the replacement.
He was patient, and listened to my side of the story. I also understood what Thor's view on the matter was...
This one worked out in my favor, and I'm happy about that.

But regardless of the outcome: he handled the case in a professional manner.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #214

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
State: Florida
THOR #7078
Hello,

I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany 40AX xte, and with all new or used RV's regardless of the issues, I am totally happy with the customer service at Thor, I am extremely disappointed with the warranty work that has been done on my RV by a dealership where I am currently located to the point that I am going to take my coach to back to the manufacture to fix the warranty items that was not done correctly or haphazardly. I suppose it is the representative that those with negative comments has dealt with, the representative that I have been dealing with has been very helpful and I appreciate all that he has done for me.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #215

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’ve had several direct interactions with Thor and in each one I’ve found them to be interested, helpful and responsive. None have been for complicated stuff but I’m hopeful. And I really liked my coach!
Ditto.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #216

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I had a recent good experience with Thor customer care. I bought a new 2018 Chateau last fall, and while driving home from the dealer (which was in another state) the door for the holding tank compartment popped open while driving on a rough road in a construction zone. The door dragged on the ground and got damaged. The door still worked and the damage was mainly cosmetic.

I call both the dealer and Thor service to find out what it would cost to get a new compartment door. I thought they might accuse me of not latching the door properly and make me pay for it. Either way, I just wanted a new door sent to me, even if I had to pay for it, so that I could replace it myself without the hassle of going to a dealership. Thor sent me a new door and the decal for it at no cost. It took a long time (at least 2 months), but I'm happy that they took care of me.

I still have the issue that no local dealership will do warranty work on my RV if I didn't buy it from them. That's not Thor's fault, but a general problem in the RV industry.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #217
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I suppose that Thor's initial build quality could be better; but at least their
Customer Care folks do a really nice job.
(Do you think they do this to get us back into the dealerships? We end up buying more stuff, while waiting for our rig... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #218

State: Alabama
THOR #8876
disappointed

We purchased our new 34F Windsport in August. Less than 2k miles, 3 months, and one real trip in it and we amassed a list of over 30 items that needed to be addressed. Most of them are "small", all of them are quality/lack of PDI related. We made an appointment to bring it back to the dealer to get it repaired.

It's been sitting at the dealer since December 5th. Today they call me to tell me they've addressed maybe 10 of the items so far. One of those being that it would not hold a charge. They proceed to tell me that I failed to maintain the batteries in the 3 months I owned it and I needed to pay $400 for new ones. They had no idea whether they were checked at PDI. They also have no idea how long it will take to finish the repairs on the RV. It still needs to go to the Ford dealer for repairs and to the body shop to repair spider cracks in the gel coat.

I called Thor and tell them what is going on. They've received no warranty claims in the month + it's been at the dealer. They also tell me that the batteries are actually covered by Worldwide Battery until Jan 23rd. They offered no help in dealing with the dealer at all.

So of the 12 months that this thing is going to have a warranty, several of those months we will not have the use of it. All related to poor quality and a lack of concern for customer service at the mfg and dealer level.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:54 PM   #219

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Respectfully, this is exactly why I don’t trust dealers. I believe from personal experience that Thor’s customer service is pretty helpful but dealers are iffy. Some are wonderful and some are just trying to stay ahead of bankruptcy. I recommend that you consider fixing as many of those 30 items on your own as you are able. Not only will you save yourself a lot of time and frustration but you will learn a LOT about how your coach works and you will have the satisfaction of knowing the repair was done and done correctly. It also is worth knowing that Thor is mostly an assembler of commercially available consumer products. Many parts are warranted by their original manufacturer and it is far more effective to call them directly instead of counting on the dealer or even Thor to pursue the matter on your behalf.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:33 AM   #220

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I have fixed many of the problems myself now but do not know how to fix chassis a/c and Thor does not seem to want to find a dealer that does. I probably will just go to an RV shop and pay for that myself. Effectively there is no warranty from Thor.
Wouldn't the chassis a/c be the responsibility of Ford. I assume this is a Ford chassis.