Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
My limited exposure to Thor and their dealerships hasn't been ALL bad!

I purchased a new 2014 Thor Hurricane 34E in November of 2013, and took delivery in Florida, (took the kids to Fort Wilderness for the maiden voyage before driving home to CA). So, I have never used the original dealership for any warranty work. I have used whatever Thor authorized dealership happens to be the closest, (and still in business).

After our arrival home, and our shake-down maiden voyage across the country, I put together a list of warranty issues. I took them took the motorhome to McMahon's RV in Westminster CA to repair: 1. The missing Thor jewel sticker by the door that fell off somewhere in Texas. 2. The rear bathroom vent fan motor that was squealing. 3. The overhead bunk Shwintek slides broke. 4. The door step sheared it's sprocket bolt. 5. The inflatable mattress in the convertible sofa leaked.

It took about two weeks to get all the "authorizations" cleared by Thor corporate, and another two weeks to get all the parts shipped to the dealership. In the meantime I kept and enjoyed the new motorhome and used it the whole time, as it was still functional.

I scheduled a service visit, and everything was installed in two days. The Shwintek bunk issue took the longest, and eventually broke again. McMahon's service department and Thor provided great service and support and fixed everything.

When the overhead bunk stopped working after two camping trips, (and broken drive-gear pieces fell off onto the floor after tearing up the aluminum track), it was time to take it back for more warranty work. However, McMahon's had filed for bankruptcy and went out of business on me since my last visit, so I too k it t the next closest Thor dealership, Mike Thompson's RV in Santa Fe Springs.

They took about three months to get Thor corporate "authorization" to repair the Shwintek overhead bunk slides, (the two replacement tracks, motors, and drive assemblies). However, I was able to keep, use and enjoy my functional motorhome the whole time while I waited, (except for the overhead bunk). There was a mistake by Mike Thompson's service department where they only ordered parts for one side of the slide, so I waited another two weeks for the parts to again be "authorized' and to be shipped. When all the parts were finally in stock, I took in the motorhome and left it at the Mike Thompson's service department for two days .

All was fixed, and the dealership and Thor provided good support and service.

As an industrial engineer, ("efficiency expert" by trade), the thing that bothers me is the time factor. The completely inefficient communications process in place between Thor corporate and their dealerships, and the dealerships with the customer is the root cause of my dissatisfaction. It takes far too long for dealerships to collect and submit their evidence in order to get "authorization" from Thor corporate. Then, it takes far too long for Thor corporate to respond and send the right parts to correct the issue. And, it's obvious that dealerships use this systemic inefficiency to their advantage, so they prolong the waiting agony for their customers! A warranty repair that should take fifteen minutes, can be dragged out for one or two months due to the current system.

However, the actual work performed and willingness to schedule the work around my vacation schedule so that I could enjoy my new motorhome was great! And, I want to mention again than neither McMahon's or Mike Thompson's were the dealerships where I purchased my motorhome, but they still provided support and customer service for my new Thor motorhome!

Old 12-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #42

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
agreed.
I'm just coming out of a warranty evolution.
It seemed that it took a long time for things to get going.
I remained in contact with a guy up at Thor, that really seamed to be knowledgeable and involved. i believe that he did what he could to encourage the dealership..... Camping World in my case
In a couple of cases I was the one to inform the service rep I was dealing with that Thor was waiting on info from them!.... So i think there was some big internal stuff at CW too.
but, once it got rolling it went ok. Some substandard work by CW along the way, but that wasn't really Thor's doing.....
Old 12-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #43

Model: 2015 Tuscany 40EX
State: South Dakota
THOR #1260
I am a retired NASA QC Engineer and I have never seen such a mess between dealers and Thor, just to order parts or QC that Thor has no idea about. I don't expect rocket ship quality! but some kind of quality and pride in a well built product before it leaves the factory.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #44

State: Arkansas
THOR #1378
Another Sucker takes the fall

We just bought a 2015, multiple problems as you can read below in my mail to Thor.
"""""Bought on 12/22/14, first attempt to use this camper I find the furnace will not work, just keeps cycling light it has no gas: blower comes on for a few minutes the stops. The gas is just fine the stove lights on all three burners for 5 minutes. The Main TV in living room has be wired to an after market ac\dc inverter then plugged into the wall to make work after they found the wrong size TV (19" installed dealer tried to tell me this was the right one, literature calls for 26"). The panel that covers the driver instrument panel can not be secured as there are no fasteners installed, it flops around on the road. The generator will not stay running, it idles very poorly and frequently just dies like is gas starved, The driver side mirror will not allow adjustment far enough for me to see down the side or to even see the road. Finally, the switch that controls the extension and retraction of the main panel is beginning to fall out of the panel.
Does anyone at Thor take responsibility for workmanship? I will be in contact with the dealer tomorrow, but who is going to insure that my problems are taken care of without non-sense? I traded in a camper which had no-problems on delivery for one that took over 2.5 hours to deliver because of dealership problems and Jerry rig fixes i.e. television.
I think someone from Thor might want to get in contact with me very soon to make this right!
Edward"""""

To those who know--is there any real help here or do I need to file for Lemon Law?
ED
Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #45

THOR #1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by eengstrom54 View Post
We just bought a 2015, multiple problems as you can read below in my mail to Thor.
"""""Bought on 12/22/14, first attempt to use this camper I find the furnace will not work, just keeps cycling light it has no gas: blower comes on for a few minutes the stops. The gas is just fine the stove lights on all three burners for 5 minutes. The Main TV in living room has be wired to an after market ac\dc inverter then plugged into the wall to make work after they found the wrong size TV (19" installed dealer tried to tell me this was the right one, literature calls for 26"). The panel that covers the driver instrument panel can not be secured as there are no fasteners installed, it flops around on the road. The generator will not stay running, it idles very poorly and frequently just dies like is gas starved, The driver side mirror will not allow adjustment far enough for me to see down the side or to even see the road. Finally, the switch that controls the extension and retraction of the main panel is beginning to fall out of the panel.
Does anyone at Thor take responsibility for workmanship? I will be in contact with the dealer tomorrow, but who is going to insure that my problems are taken care of without non-sense? I traded in a camper which had no-problems on delivery for one that took over 2.5 hours to deliver because of dealership problems and Jerry rig fixes i.e. television.
I think someone from Thor might want to get in contact with me very soon to make this right!
Edward"""""

To those who know--is there any real help here or do I need to file for Lemon Law?
ED
go to my email and contact me for some answers
Old 12-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #46

THOR #1260
For us we do not have time to leave our MH for weeks at a time. We cannot pay for a hotel or my husband take time of of work and not get paid. I sent a head of time a list & pictures of all the problems to the dealer & Thor a head of time to have all the parts we need before we even go to the dealer. I do not care if a nother MH is striped on the lot to get this unit fixed that should have never mde it from the factroy and for the dealer to let us leave with out checking it over.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #47

THOR #1260
My first 4 e-mails went fell on deaf ears. This was a reply to me on this site once i started to complain

Maybe this info will help you get what you need to get started

At Thor Motor Coach, we take pride in our product and customer satisfaction. We are very sorry for any issues you may be experiencing and would like to provide an immediate resolution to the situation. Please PM me with your contact information, including your name, e-mail address, phone # and last 6 of VIN. I look forward to providing you with excellent care.

You may also directly contact our Customer Support team,between 8-5 Eastern Time,. If this is an emergency afterhours someone is available too, at 877-855-2867 warrantysupport@tmcrv.com
Old 12-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #48

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Edward"""""

ED
Why in the world did you take delivery? If any one of those things was wrong on delivery day, I would have just walked away from that motorhome.

Part of the responsibility is yours. On delivery day you are supposed to completely walk through and fully inspect every single drawer, cabinet, button, appliance, feature, and function. That's why most good dealerships won't let you drive off the lot at least seven to ten days in order for the delivery preparation to take place. They need time to find any defects, and order replacement parts from Thor if necessary. And, they do not expect you to sign any single paper accepting the particular RV until after the delivery inspection.

It's your responsibility to inspect and only agree to pay for something that meets your requirements and expectations of quality.

If on the day that you went to take delivery they had to jerry rig anything, and you accepted it in that condition, then it's on you to deal with it.

The concierge service technician at Thor probably has received your earful of woe. Everything that you mentioned should be repaired under warranty. However, now you are at the mercy of the dealership's service department schedule. Also, many service technicians, (who cannot afford to own their own motorhome, much less participate in the "RV Lifestyle" earning barely more than minimum wage), will inadvertently cause further damage to other items, while fixing warranty issues. They have dirty boots/shoes and will soil carpets, scratch floors, destroy entry step rubber. They may accidentally drop tools damaging the floor, walls, screens, vinyl, cabinets, etc... They will bump into walls, door frames, screens, vinyl. leather, etc causing more damage than existed before their visit.

Oh, and I only mention this stuff from experience. I have dealt with Fleetwood and Winnebago motorhome service departments, and others for travel trailers and a PopUp. They are all terribly frustrating, none really better than the other, (but their sales staff always brag that their brand name is the best).

All of this might have been avoided with a better delivery day inspection.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:25 AM   #49

THOR #1260
Like with us we spent hours with the dealer going over things and doing repairs. It's the hidden things you do not see until you have been in it for a while. You can only see so much and test at pick up.

We did not have any major problems at pick-up. Not until 3mos travel did all the major problems start. This is not our first Rodeo with RV's we have owned 4 others over the years and even lived in a a couple for a few years and none were ever built this bad. We have always had higher end custom built RV's. Each brand was different and never problems like with this so called higher end.

We know all the brands have problems & customer Service an Thor dumps it off on the dealer.

Maybe the RV industry needs to pay people a living wadge so that works would take pride in a job well done and made in the USA. The amount of money we all pay for these RV's is all about greed and money in the pockets of the top few and not the people who build them.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #50

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Louisiana
THOR #625
Thor QC is the worst I have ever seen!!! I spoke to Thor and let them know about the horrible QC and they assured me they knew about all the complaints and were working on "fixing the problem"!!! After 4 trips to the dealership with our 2015 Challenger 37GT with multiple multiple problems, it seems to be ok as of right now.....I was told the company hires people who don't have any RV experience because the employment rate is so low in that area. That is their problem, not ours.....If they can't find competent employees, they are going to continue losing business. This will be our first and last Thor product.....
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
MRS JARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #51

THOR #1378
You are right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Why in the world did you take delivery? If any one of those things was wrong on delivery day, I would have just walked away from that motorhome.

Part of the responsibility is yours. On delivery day you are supposed to completely walk through and fully inspect every single drawer, cabinet, button, appliance, feature, and function. That's why most good dealerships won't let you drive off the lot at least seven to ten days in order for the delivery preparation to take place. They need time to find any defects, and order replacement parts from Thor if necessary. And, they do not expect you to sign any single paper accepting the particular RV until after the delivery inspection.

It's your responsibility to inspect and only agree to pay for something that meets your requirements and expectations of quality.

If on the day that you went to take delivery they had to jerry rig anything, and you accepted it in that condition, then it's on you to deal with it.

The concierge service technician at Thor probably has received your earful of woe. Everything that you mentioned should be repaired under warranty. However, now you are at the mercy of the dealership's service department schedule. Also, many service technicians, (who cannot afford to own their own motorhome, much less participate in the "RV Lifestyle" earning barely more than minimum wage), will inadvertently cause further damage to other items, while fixing warranty issues. They have dirty boots/shoes and will soil carpets, scratch floors, destroy entry step rubber. They may accidentally drop tools damaging the floor, walls, screens, vinyl, cabinets, etc... They will bump into walls, door frames, screens, vinyl. leather, etc causing more damage than existed before their visit.

Oh, and I only mention this stuff from experience. I have dealt with Fleetwood and Winnebago motorhome service departments, and others for travel trailers and a PopUp. They are all terribly frustrating, none really better than the other, (but their sales staff always brag that their brand name is the best).

All of this might have been avoided with a better delivery day inspection.
After 4 previous deliveries, all without any incidents starting with a Starcraft popup, Alumacraft trailier, Forest River 5th wheel I never really expected that poor quality. I really did not. I will agree and take my medicine for not being through it was late we rushed enough said. Now I need to figure out how to get this thing fixed or turn it over the State AG office for Lemon Law.
Thanks ED
Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #52

THOR #1378
Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejackie View Post
We just bought a Windsport that should be delivered in about 3 weeks. After reading all of these problems that people our having with Thor, I'm worried. I thought Thor made a good RV. We had not new to RVing and will make sure things are fixed before we take delivery.
Run run like the wind, all contacts can be cancelled before delivery for any reasonable reason...this companies history of poor QC would meet the test in most states.
ED
Old 12-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #53

THOR #1378
Got the Exact Same email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
My first 4 e-mails went fell on deaf ears. This was a reply to me on this site once i started to complain

Maybe this info will help you get what you need to get started

At Thor Motor Coach, we take pride in our product and customer satisfaction. We are very sorry for any issues you may be experiencing and would like to provide an immediate resolution to the situation. Please PM me with your contact information, including your name, e-mail address, phone # and last 6 of VIN. I look forward to providing you with excellent care.

You may also directly contact our Customer Support team,between 8-5 Eastern Time,. If this is an emergency afterhours someone is available too, at 877-855-2867 warrantysupport@tmcrv.com

I just received the exact same email...called them on the repeat.
ED
Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #54

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I am down to a few small problems, no thanks to Thor for help in fixing them. I plan to take it to a local dealer and see if they will warranty/fix these final few. In addition to stuff not working the overall workmanship is hard to comprehend. My bathroom walls are not square at all, the bottom of the shower slide is 1/2 in from the bottom, the bathrom door is way off center to the latch, we has many screws just falling out of stuff over out first few months, the microwave was not mounted properly, the hose for the sink drain under the fridge has awful connection more then 90 degrees and has come apart a few time until I re routed and changed the drain pipe to a better angle. They stuck a electric junction box in the way of the slide so when it comes in it bends the sink drain hose against the wires and makes it almost go 180 degrees. I found a screw just laying in the lens of a light fixture. I fixed all this stuff and more on my own. My front curtain rods was cut way to short, it is about 8" from the end of the valance. Wire just hang in the mud room box, my dump valves have sensor wires hanging in the way. The list goes on. The point is it would have cost "0" to do all these things right when they built it! I don't know if this is union or not work but reminds me of the car companies of the late 80's putting out junk, and we know what happened. I hate to say it but I wish the Japanese of Koreans would enter this market. Not for price, just for decent quality control. Thor needs to wake up fast.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #55

THOR #1378
Well its in for repairs, the dealer acts like these problems are my fault...the furnace and generator. Now I am wondering, with the automatic step, what if I travel in snow and Ice...will the arm shear off if the hardware freezes up like on most vehicles driven in snow, ice or slush? Oh I did here from a Customer Warranty person for Thor, sent me one page of the electrical diagram for the unit and told me he was putting my complaints into a file. So we will see. I expect to get my unit back late this week Will keep you updated. By the way thanks for the kind support from all of you who commented on my post.
ED
Old 01-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #56

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
THOR #892
Quote:
Well its in for repairs, the dealer acts like these problems are my fault...the furnace and generator. Now I am wondering, with the automatic step, what if I travel in snow and Ice...will the arm shear off if the hardware freezes up like on most vehicles driven in snow, ice or slush? Oh I did here from a Customer Warranty person for Thor, sent me one page of the electrical diagram for the unit and told me he was putting my complaints into a file. So we will see. I expect to get my unit back late this week Will keep you updated. By the way thanks for the kind support from all of you who commented on my post.
ED
Hope it's not the "round file"
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #57

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I had a call from a Thor tech today (on answering machine). Said he was calling as a courtesy on behalf of the dealership I purchased the coach from (True Value RV in Elkhart, Indiana). Funny thing, I have not talked with anyone from there! I guess they are also looking at these forums!

I will call him back tomorrow to ask about the outside light staying on and the steps not retracting. I do not have much hope though, but since he called, I might as well try!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #58

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
I had a call from a Thor tech today (on answering machine). Said he was calling as a courtesy on behalf of the dealership I purchased the coach from (True Value RV in Elkhart, Indiana). Funny thing, I have not talked with anyone from there! I guess they are also looking at these forums!

I will call him back tomorrow to ask about the outside light staying on and the steps not retracting. I do not have much hope though, but since he called, I might as well try!
Don't count him out just yet. Just might well make things right! I feel pretty good so far about my warranty issues.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:43 AM   #59

THOR #943
Thor Care? Thor Quality? Worst Workmanship?
Left our coach at the factory for two months. You would think it would come back with everything in working order. NOT!!! It's a joke. If that is the best they can do with Quality Control they need to fire everyone and rehire or close the factory. They are taking many people for a nasty ride and don't care. As long as the money comes in they won't change.
Thinking about getting a group together and going to the Tampa show this weekend and sharing our experiences with customers looking at any Thor product. They can make their own choices, but once they hear how Thor is a Thorn in owners sides, I'm sure I know what their choice would be.
Someone needs to look into this company and share how they treat their buyers.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #60

THOR #1378
Just a note, Thor Warranty repair refuses to authorize the front end alignment, says they did it at the factory and thats all they need to do. For the dealers part the new challenge is the generator; Cummins/Onan will not let the dealer touch it, only they can so I have to wait until January 27th just for the them to look at it. The dealer can not find the furnace problem, but they fixed the mirror and power cord. I am not feeling special about the situation. Have emailed the Thor Rep to see whats going on.
Waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!