Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Congrats on the super C, Not every coach is going to be flawless. At least I am learning something here. mostly DYI repairs. I will not rely on Thor for the minor stuff. But we lucked out on our little class C. Only the water pump crapped out in the middle of the desert. We had water everywhere inside the coach. replaced the pump with a accumulator. Good thing we had buckets. Enjoy your super C.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #162

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburner View Post
Add me to the list. Brand new ACE and I'm scared to death to drive it. Chipped counter tops, screen door does not close, rear sliding bedroom doors broke off, automatic leveling system doesn't touch front levelers. And of course it a rattle box. If I keep it under 35 mph it seems tolerable. My wife and I are now fighting because I had to have it. 36 years old I should've bought a Porsche instead. Should I call my dealer 3 hours away or should I call thor? Thanks.
You should have bought the Porsche and look for a girlfriend!
Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 AM   #163

State: Texas
THOR #1454
Movingtara; I would contact my dealer first and ask for their Thor rep contact info. If your dealer wants to talk to you about your problems, tell them to conference call you with the Thor rep. If the dealer will not do that, ask them for the Thor rep info again. If they are reluctant to give the rep's contact info, then call Thor.

Have you received your post card from Thor asking about your purchase experience yet? I got mine about 5-6 AFTER I bought our Miramar. I gave every question the lowest possible rating and mailed it back. I received a phone call the next week from a nice young lady who really was interested in my problems, the list of which was long and distinguished. They assigned us a point of contact at Thor who we talked to about each and every problem. They even got us a third party repair shop and paid for all the repairs that had occurred up to that date, and even some other things that came up after the initial one year warranty had expired. I avoid Camping World like the plague. As I have stated before, I have purchased my last Thor product for sure, and the chances of my buying another RV from Camping World are very remote.

I hope you get your problems addressed.

Chief
Old 12-05-2016, 03:51 AM   #164

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #970
I bought my rig from that same dealer, I had a great experience, my problem was I lived 1500 miles away so no warranty work, although we took delivery and went on a 1 week trip east, and came back to them to fix some stuff on the way home. They were accommodating, but yes, it took a few phone calls once we left the parking lot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Run away from the Thor ACE when you say the issues were minor and the dealer, took too long to get the coach in, kept it too long, did not do the work requested, and kept the coach until the warranty expired.

Did you send Thor a letter after the dealer had the coach for 20 days as stated in the warranty? Did you talk to Thor before accepting the coach back from the dealer in worse shape than when you took it in?

Sounds more like folks should run away from that dealer, which you do not mention by name, rather than run from a coach with minor issues.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:56 AM   #165

THOR #970
I had a similar experience, got sent to a non Thor dealer after the dealer did not fix the problem and I was out of warranty. Thor does have resources they will use if pressed. Many dealers, aka cw and others are high volume and maybe not the most qualified people, the better ones set up their own shop.. Thor has their number. My shop had a line of new coaches filling the street to fix..and they knew how to fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartiniv View Post
I had many problems, as I have written about earlier in this thread. I got everything taken care of using a local dealer by writing to:

Robert W. Martin, CEO, President and Director
Thor Industries, Inc.
601 East Beardsley Avenue
Elkhart, IN 46514-3305

He referred it to:

Mark Stanley
Consumer Affairs Manager
Thor Motor Coach
P.O. Box 1486
Elkhart, In 46515

Mr. Stanley had a Customer Service rep. call me and arranged with the local non-Thor dealer to fix everything on their dime. So far, so good.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:08 AM   #166

THOR #970
Just a thought.. the mega dealer CW and MHSRV and others are really not the blame, it is shoddy QC at Thor and maybe lack of technical training, again, a Thor issue. I could list so many things wrong with my rig that I fixed or had warranty work done that could have been avoided completely if the build process had any sort of quality control. I saw a guy with a new big rig come to the non Thor dealer the day I was there, his slide did not work, After tearing apart the underbellie they found a loose connection, the nut was not tight. Spewed hydrolic oil all over the underside, major clean up. Then, his awning over the entry door not working.. the problem? The wire was shorting out when it open, the factory did not leave enough free wire for the extension. I mean 1/2" of wire costs them a few hundred to fix...nobody gives a crap building these things from then 70k to 300k price point..
I have spent hours fixing mine from the shoddy workmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Just our 2 cents. We bought our coach from a small dealer in a small town and used the pricing of the online mega dealers to secure a great price. I was a complete butt head (my DW says it is an easy way for me to be) with the dealer because I'd had poor experiences with some other bigger dealers. Insisted that everything be fixed on PI be fixed before I gave the check. The good news was the service department was aces and the better news was I could get the Thor customer service on phone to talk with me. After having owned a Forest River coach, it was a new experience.

I had some big problems and lots of ankle biters. Thor fixed each and every one. I recently took my coach to Thor to have the last of the ankle biters fixed.

Based on the above, I'd suggest that the issue isn't Thor but the mega-dealer MHSRV. There are lots of comments (good and bad) about MHSRV. We travel a lot - and when I had an issue - called Tom Overton (CSR for Thor) direct and he'd direct to someone that could repair the issue.

Other readers - strongly recommend that you not accept this sort of service and during the warranty period - contact Thor directly. They have been spot on for us.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #167
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
We had a new CW open here last year. The first thing they did was to go all of the other dealers around and offered their Techs 15.00 and hour These experienced lads tuned them down as most of them made 25 to 35 an hour. So they ended up hiring a lot of would be mechanics and Techs. All ready they have a rep of do not bring you rig in....
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #168

Model: Windsport 34P
THOR #5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejackie View Post
We just bought a Windsport that should be delivered in about 3 weeks. After reading all of these problems that people our having with Thor, I'm worried. I thought Thor made a good RV. We had not new to RVing and will make sure things are fixed before we take delivery.
My 2017 Windsport 34P has had some minor things (that I could easily fix myself). Otherwise, no big issues so far.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #169

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy46 View Post
We have gone through many negatives with customer service with Thor.
I definitely agree, the word needs to get out about Thor's poor Q/C and poor customer service.
We purchased our NEW Thor February 13, 2014 and have only been able to use it three (3) time since purchase.
They don't seem to put there feet in anyone else's shoes.
We are so frustrated with Thor we are seriously thinking about driving to Thor Factory in Indiana, and taking Action News along with us.
The word needs to get out and people need to know they need to really think before they buy. Look at other manufacturers first.
I think going to Camping Shows and sharing customer experiences is an honest way of letting other that think they may be interested in buying a Thor product now what to expect.
SAD!!!! SAD!!!!!!
If you can go there with "Action News" go for it....
Old 12-06-2016, 03:17 AM   #170

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Too funny - we really enjoy the floor plan of our Challenger 37TB. As I've said, we've had our issues but our coach runs and operates very well now. In the last 20 months, we've spent more than 12 months in our coach with and without our grandkids - including two coast to coast trips (more than 7500 miles each).

The only item on our wish list is more room in the front living area. Haven't seen any real improvements from any motorhome company while maintaining front drop down bunk and stacked bunks in mid-coach. Until the new Winnebago 38W.

Now the funny part. So as I've scoured the internet about pricing and reviews by Winnebago 38 owners - lo and behold what do I find. The exact same sort of issues I've worked at correcting in my Thor. Leaky basements, slides that don't work correctly, unfinished cabinets, etc. Yep - I'd like more room and a bit of a bonus - quieter ride on hills. BUT - not sure I want to go through the ordeal of fixing stuff in the first year again. (Had a horrible lesson with Forest River and a Georgetown - CRs were non-existant)

So yep - QC needs attention in most motorhome makers but in our experience CR support from Thor has been great - thank goodness.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:46 AM   #171

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Issues?

After getting things fixed in the first few months, all seems to be good. It should be noted there was never anything major that needed to be fixed. Nothing that kept us from using our Ace. Likely the most annoying thing was a screw that came up through the floor in the kitchen area. They removed a small portion of the vinyl and fixed the screw so it would not come back up, replaced the vinyl (I cannot see the repair) and all has been good. When I called Thor, they were very helpful.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #172

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Thor Response

I think what we are all experiencing is a sign of the times with little pride in workmanship.

I own a business and won't hire anyone below the age of 40...such poor work ethic.

I have talked to many people that own different brands and all seem to have the same complaints. As example, a family on their first outing: the levelers leaked and wouldn't hold and the water pump pumped for awhile and then quit (Winnebago Brand).

Bottom line...quality control is a problem and I don't see it getting better in the near future on units below $180,000 list price.

As to Thor's customer service, I have had adequate response on the issues I have brought to them on my Miramar. Many problems I have resolved myself and the issues where i needed their help they responded. The response was slower than I would have liked and sometimes took an extra call or follow up email, but always ended with an appropriate response.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #173

THOR #1020
Miramar Owner - spot on. Often experienced owners post on these boards to "buy a gentle used coach to avoid the first year ownership issues". The only way that works is if you are sure the problems have been dealt with.

Not really sure of a price point that you can buy where you won't see the issues. I joined a Facebook user group of Forza owners while looking at the 38W. Also, looked at Coachman 407 - same story.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #174

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
That's true about the price point. I guess I would like to think if you spent 1/2 million or more you'd get a better quality product. The price range most of us are looking at are pretty much mass produced. I don't think anyone should consider buying a motorhome unless they are willing to do some repairs themselves or have enough money (and time) that it's not an issue.

I know it is frustrating for the first time "new" rv buyer. Its not like buying a new car. It's a whole different business model, from manufacturer to dealer.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #175
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I think what we are all experiencing is a sign of the times with little pride in workmanship.

I own a business and won't hire anyone below the age of 40...such poor work ethic.

I have talked to many people that own different brands and all seem to have the same complaints. As example, a family on their first outing: the levelers leaked and wouldn't hold and the water pump pumped for awhile and then quit (Winnebago Brand).

Bottom line...quality control is a problem and I don't see it getting better in the near future on units below $180,000 list price.

As to Thor's customer service, I have had adequate response on the issues I have brought to them on my Miramar. Many problems I have resolved myself and the issues where i needed their help they responded. The response was slower than I would have liked and sometimes took an extra call or follow up email, but always ended with an appropriate response.
To be honest I don't know if any RV owner is exempt from issues. I have a friend who has a Prevost Marathon and he has had his share of problems.

Kev
Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #176

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
To be honest I don't know if any RV owner is exempt from issues. I have a friend who has a Prevost Marathon and he has had his share of problems.

Kev
We expected problems, but not as many as we have had. I'm apart of a FB group that shares problems and results. that by far as been the most helpful.

Owning my own manufacturing business I can sympathize with a fair amount of problems. But I've seen more than I think is fair so far.

On the positive side the CS department has been extremely helpful, unlike my dealer. Even though I bought the extended warranty, I feel like fixing things my self will result in more use and less down time.

We have a 2016.5 LS outlaw. We love the floor plan which is the only reason we put up with so much. But below is a list of problems that we've had.

1.)cab bunk (motor went out, out of alignment, dealer replaced)
2.)invert er bad (from the dealer it was bad, so someone never checked it.) Thor replaced it, and now it's bad again. I bought a replacement. I'm going to contact thor and see if they will send me a spare if I send my old one in.
3.) windshield wipers broke hit the hood. (dealer repaired hood failed to fix problem happend again) CS knows about it and I'm going to see if they will just send me the parts to fix. Our dealer takes 2 months to getinto and they couldn't screw a light bulb in straight.
4.) all doors and latches don't lock or stick. I adjusted a couple of them but live with the rest.
5.) both step control modules went out. CS helped me track them down at oreillys. I'm going to send the old ones in and see if they will send spares.
6.) entry railing/handle fell off on second trip out.
7.) rear mud flap was too long and swung all over the place knocking the licence plate off along with light. (dealer refused responsibility for it, so I fixed it)
8.) Alignment is horrible. (dealer re-aligned it, still sucks)
9.) subwoofer is hooked to outside speakers instead of head unit.
10.) head unit doesn't take the iphone cord.
11.) leveling jacks never worked great on auto and now doesn't work at all on auto level.
12.) wood trim all coming loose.
13.) laminate on trim is shrinking and coming off.
14.) bathroom sink falling apart, the counter is separating.
15.) shower coming apart.
16.) garage couches pulled mounts out of the wall.
17.) awning is un-even and loose.
18.) fridge has never worked good while driving, hardly at all on 110, 30amp is ok but 50amp it works normal.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but that's good for now.

Has anyone upgraded their in-verter and had the fridge work better?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:07 AM   #177

THOR #1020
Jdemello - WOW. That is bad! Especially the stuff that keeps breaking/faulting out. Hope life improves.

Every time I get an itch to add more room or length or jump to a diesel, I remember that I have a coach that is fixed and dependable. Scares me to think what could go wrong in any new coach. Think I'll continue with our 37TB!
Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #178

Model: quantum ws31
State: New York
THOR #5878
Wink 2017 Quantum

I have called customer care a few times about little concerns. They have been kind and helpful in every instance. Thor also replaced my main tv after I cracked the screen. A1 service
Old 12-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #179

THOR #3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Jdemello - WOW. That is bad! Especially the stuff that keeps breaking/faulting out. Hope life improves.

Every time I get an itch to add more room or length or jump to a diesel, I remember that I have a coach that is fixed and dependable. Scares me to think what could go wrong in any new coach. Think I'll continue with our 37TB!
We expected a certain amount of stuff.

The biggest complaint is the dealer, they are oblivious and horrible at follow through. I own a shop, so I understand things happen. But picking up your coach after they've had it for 2 months almost 3 and the batteries being dead, then the bunk not being fixed and they broke personal property. (in their defense they did fix the personal property above and beyond what I expected). But still. You dont do a walk through before calling me?

The worst is the fridge, sold us on this residential fridge idea and by all accounts it sucks. Only works great with 50 amp service works tolerable on 30 amp. But they "tested" it and said it's fine. We keep a temp gauge in there and monitor it closely. It's not fine.

A lot of things Thor knows about, the windshield wipers, the leaky showers, the in-verters.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #180

State: Ontario
THOR #7998
So glad I read this thread

Up to this minute I was in the process of buying a 2017 Hurricane 34F. I love the layout, the outside kitchen, etc. but I think I will hold off for now until Thor gets it together. We currently own an 09 Damon Daybreak that has been trouble free. As much as I would have liked all the bells and whistles I know I could not handle all the issues. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.