Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #101

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
....cut.... I have been looking for a snow blower this year and have been told that if I buy at a big box store the local shops will not honour the warranty. If everyone buys at the big box store though there will not be any local shops so I would be in the same boat anyway.
So in this analogy the big box store is in Dallas, Texas area and keeps costs down by selling huge volume. And because motorhomes are relatively expensive, it's often worth it flying to Texas and driving the MH back home, where the local dealer then is expected to fix all the issues resulting from poor quality control.

Like you I see both side of issue but have a hard time understanding those who don't see the problem from the dealers' perspective.

I personally blame technology for some of this problem. Not that long ago a person looking to buy a motorhome would not have been able to search for best prices anywhere in US. The Internet makes that extremely easy. It seems to me that businesses, and buyers, haven't adjusted completely to this new reality, or the unintended consequences that follow.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #102

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I'm not telling you anything.

https://thormotorcoach.com/RV-Dealers/

You might try calling Thor and asking for their assistance in finding a dealer willing to perform work on your coach.
Good luck. I just got off the phone with Thor over the same issue and their response is they have no control over the dealers. They are independent companies and set their own rules. Thor nor any of the other manufactures seem to have a solution to this problem.

I must admit that while on the road with a safety issue General RV in Michigan fixed a problem so we could continue on the road.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #103

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
$400 per hour! There is NO WAY I would pay that rate. The word crooks comes to mind.
I have real bad news for you, I worked for a medical equipment manufacturer that sold exclusively to hospitals and all the others followed suit. The next time you get a medical bill or insurance premium bill you will be paying for it.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #104

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Since Thor is so popular I would think they could start putting pressure on dealers to service their product, similar to auto dealers. You sell our product, you fix our product!
Old 12-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #105

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Why change if what they are doing has gotten them to #1? It's hard to argue with success.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #106

THOR #3119
I think they could do like other Manufactures and have a list of Certified Dealer/Service centers. And only list those dealers that have agreed to service all there products, in return the dealers get a streamlined and more trusting warranty and parts reimbursement program and maybe expedited shipping and approvals. Give a little, get a little. Not to mention being listed as a certified dealer on their web site.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:04 AM   #107

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Samven, THAT is an excellent suggestion!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 02:53 AM   #108

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
Watch out for which Thor Models the Dealers sell!

Hi Folks, one of the things to watch out for is the difference between “Thor Dealers” and the Thor Models they sell.

It may just be in Texas. By example if one buys a Thor Axis from Camping World in San Antonio … Camping world Houston is not permitted to do warranty work on that Model since Camping World Houston is only licensed to sell Thor Vegas models. So the option is to take warranty work from Houston Back to San Antonio … or get the Houston Thor dealer who does sell Thor Axis models to do the warranty work. (DeMontrond)

… However, they also have to get the OK from Thor to do the work under warranty as would the San Antonio Camping World the original seller of the subject Thor Axis.
This is Texas Law with respect to dealers doing warranty work only on the Models they sell ... Does not make a lot of sense … but you have to look out for it when you purchase.

While the warranty work may take time to get the Thor approval … if you can use the unit you can get an appointment for the assessment o repairs then leave with it and go back for an appointment when Thor has approved the warranty work the parts have arrived.

All of the above does not apply to new, non-warranty work … which tends to be handled much quicker here with any Thor Dealer.
I hope this helps someone.
Best regards, James
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #109

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
I have real bad news for you, I worked for a medical equipment manufacturer that sold exclusively to hospitals and all the others followed suit. The next time you get a medical bill or insurance premium bill you will be paying for it.
What the #$%! does this have to do with RV repairs?
Old 12-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #110

THOR #3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
What the #$%! does this have to do with RV repairs?
Nothing, just a response to your response.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #111

State: Florida
THOR #6050
That's a great attitude and a winning attitude from your dealer. That's how you build a strong relation with your customers. I run a Marina Service Department and that's how we have been able to rise above the rest.
We too purchased a Thor product, 2016 Challenger 37KT. When we needed warranty work, our local dealer RV Connections which we had purchased four RV's from denied to do our warranty work on our new Thor, they are a Thor Dealer. We were told that the only way they could do the work was for us to pay cash for the repairs, then it was up to us to file our warranty claim with Thor and most likely we would not be reimbursed the amount paid. Camping World helped with what they could. Our selling dealer; General RV, Orange Park, Fl. dispatched a driver to get our RV. Unit was driven to dealership, repaired and returned to our driveway at no charge to us. Unit was returned with a full tank of gas and cleaned up.
Guess what dealer we'll send our friends to.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #112

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
Every RV owner and prospective owner should subscribe to RV D@ily Report. As its on-line banner reads, “All the news impacting the RV industry – all the time”. It’s actually a must read and its free.
The latest opinion piece “that’s just what happens with an RV” discusses the most common problems with quality control and service issues that plague us all. The common response from dealers and service personnel is “that’s just the way the industry is.” How many times have I heard or read that response. The author goes on to say, “I heard no difference from the owner of a Phaeton motor coach to us with our “starter” rig or to a neighbor with a Casita. I find it amazing. All the shoulder shrugging, all the half smiles, and all the nods of understanding — but no anger, no outrage.”
“And, I ask them all the same question, if this was your car, would you feel the same way? If all your vehicles had half the issues you related that your RV does what would you do? Would you be so accepting? Why is this different?” I am convinced, that as you read this, if you are an RVer, you can relate to my aggravation. I am hoping that some of you out there, on the road, in the campgrounds across the USA and talking in blogs on the Internet will follow my lead and become less accepting and more vocal about our needs and wants as a consumer.”
“Write a letter, call the manufacturer’s sales rep and complain loudly. Do not take accept the excuse “this the way it has to be with an RV.” Let’s start a movement and talk it up!”
The author, Joanne Lewandowski, is one of us. A full time RV owner who is fed up with the status quo in the industry regarding shoddy workmanship, and difficulties even getting repair work done. If the automobile industry operated this way, they would have gone out of business right away.
Why is it we as consumers expect and receive quality products and responsive and competent warranty repairs when we buy a $25,000 automobile, but expect nothing of its kind when we buy a RV costing thousands and multiples of thousands of dollars more?
As a new motor coach owner I refuse to accept the mantra “that’s just the way the industry is” any longer. Taking a scene out of the movie “Network” and Peter Finch, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore.” It’s time we, as RV owners, stood up and demanded better of the industry.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #113

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I guess the good news is the Thor warrantee is only a year. So far the dealer here has been willing to work on the Gemini. I talked to an independent shop, that I know locally, they are not willing to do any Thor warrantee work, but will do extended warrantee work, or out or warrantee work. Incentive to get it debugged during that first year.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 AM   #114

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
[QUOTE=Beacher;25657]I purchased my Thor motorhome in Georgia and live in Southern California, so I was totally dependent on local Thor dealerships during the warranty period.

I first visited Mike Thompson's RV in Fountain Valley because they are very convenient to visit during my lunch break. On my way to the office, I actually walked inside a few Windsport motorhomes, and a Pallazo.

In the office I spoke with the woman at the counter and she asked if I purchased my Hurricane there. After I said no, she promptly said that they could not work on Hurricanes as they do not sell them. I mentioned that they are mechanically identical to the Windsport models filling up their lot. She just said no.

The tiny detail that works in the dealership's favor is that they are one of only three remaining RV dealerships in all of the metro area of Southern California, so they are swamped with more business and work than they can handle. They can and most frequently do cherry pick their work.

What works against the dealership in a major metro area is social media like Twitter, Yelp, and Facebook. After a few months of countless negative reviews and posts they realized that there are far more Hurricanes than Windsports in this region of the country, and they were losing ALOT of potential business by alienating potential new customers and pissing off current owners. Lo and behold they magically discontinued selling Windsports and now carry the Hurricane line.

Oh, and they very happily service Hurricanes there now!![/QUO

Hi Beacher, very strange as I bought my Hurricane 35C from Mike Thompson. I picked it up in Fountain Valley. But I have just the opposite issue. I am forced to take it to them. So consider yourself lucky to not get service there.

I have a couple of local places in the high dessert but Thor will not allow them to do warranty work, they told me to go to MT where I bought it or another place in Fontana that is backed up 4 months.
MT is horrible. just picked mine up for some of the 1rst year issues and they only completed half in 6 weeks and made things worse. I told them the bottom USB jacks in the bedroom did not work. They stated they tested and it was fine. Now none of them work. They fixed some peeling wallpaper, now the backer board is falling off the wall. They stated that is another issue. Had them install washer and dryer and they scratched the decal and gelcoat next to the vent. Ask me if I was sure it was not there before. Did not finish other items and told me they were waiting on parts and I needed to bring it back in, but they were backed up for the next 6 to 8 weeks due to people bringing their units in during winter. They told me the same thing in the summer.

I called Thor to find someone else and they stated I "Should" bring it to MT again, otherwise I would have to pay for estimate work and have another service department work on getting approvals. Once they did, I would probably have to pay the bill and get he reimbursement from Thor. I asked about the parts like a cabinet door that were on order from MT and they told me MT never requested anything else.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #115

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
...and what about a serious warranty issue while traveling? Am I supposed to have the coach towed back to the dealer where I bought it if the issue must be corrected to operate the unit? If an authorized Thor dealer anywhere calls in a warranty issue, doesn't Thor send them parts and reimburse them for labor? Guess these things shouldn't have wheels because we are liable to drive out from under the selling dealers protective umbrella. This really is beyond believable.
That doesn't seem to be a problem where ever you take it. If your traveling, you usually tell the dealer you come into, and they fit you in accordingly. They are just pissed a local person didn't buy from them it seems. I've had warranty work done outside my area, in decent time.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #116

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Got to say - our Challenger is out of warranty and I recently had an issue. I wrote the issue up here on our Forum. While I had the problem, the DW ask me if I should call a dealer for service. I responded that I have a real problem paying someone who may or may not be able to troubleshoot and fix the problem $125/hour. Note that I have a great deal of confidence in the service team at our original dealership, BUT have very little confidence in many others. An electrical problem can be sort of tricky and needs some careful thought combined with experience. Given some advise from Thor's hotline I found the issue and fixed it. Morale to the story is like others have mentioned, just because someone has agreed to work on our coach doesn't mean they are qualified.

Also, our second RV was purchased from a local dealer to get better service even though they didn't have the best price. That was a 2 mistake buy. Poor service and poor pricing.

Just my 2 cents.