Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Thor Dealers That Will Not Support Thor Warranty If Not Purchased From Them

This (hopefully) is not the place for rants. If you've experienced a dealer that refused to perform warranty work on your Thor product, please post it here. Hopefully Thor will read this and take action. Equally and hopefully, this Thread will take sales away from these dealers and help new buyers in their selection of good, supportive dealers near them. If you are a dealer reading this Thread, feel free to post your contact info and confirm your willingness to support us.

Southern RV of McDonough, GA. Confirmed by statement of Service Writer.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Damn, that is pretty sad. Sorry to hear that. What happened to the days when any customer was worth taking time for.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
There are many great Thor Industries Dealers out there. MHSRV and Youngbloods in Mayfield are two I have used for 22 years. As for warranty or not service, I would always recommend you call Thor MC customer service and ask for a recommendation for a mobile tech in your area. Usually if your coach is under warranty Thor MC will authorize reimbursement for the service IF certain requirements are met.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3655
Just to be clear, I have heard of a few dealers that won't work on any coaches that they didn't sell. Within in their right to service their customers first I guess. Are you counting them?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroyer View Post
Just to be clear, I have heard of a few dealers that won't work on any coaches that they didn't sell. Within in their right to service their customers first I guess. Are you counting them?

Kinda what this thread is about...post them here. Buyers and owners will benefit from it. Non supportive dealers will lose business because of it.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I like the idea of a running list of Thor dealers that will not honor Thor warranty requests. Did Southern tell you why?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I like the idea of a running list of Thor dealers that will not honor Thor warranty requests. Did Southern tell you why?

This was before I bit the bullet and went to Wakarusa (great choice). He said they had enough service business already to not have to deal with outsiders. I told him I would be happy to help him with that problem. I've been on a local campaign since then to keep my promise and it's working.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
We "had" a dealer like that but the recession of 2008 took care of him. I never understood the lack of support for warranty issues from some dealers. Even more so, I don't understand why manufacturers let their dealer networks stiff customers on their warranty repairs.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
This was before I bit the bullet and went to Wakarusa (great choice). He said they had enough service business already to not have to deal with outsiders. I told him I would be happy to help him with that problem. I've been on a local campaign since then to keep my promise and it's working.
Glad to hear that you're making them notice you...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #11

State: Indiana
THOR #14970
Basdens America RV
Evansville IN
Old 04-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while I understand your frustration, you have the pleasure to go anywhere and everywhere you wish for any service work, or warranty work, you have need of - no 'dealer' in the RV industry is controlled by a factory, though, and therefore having a forum that touts to 'share' these issues will not be able to change anything. These are independent businesses, and sell many makes and models, and just like you, can make any business choices they feel is best for them.
I get that folks want any and every dealership, shop, or service center to 'automatically' give them service, but the reality is that it's not that simple.
If those who purchase from a dealer have service and warranty from that dealer, then going to their dealer is certainly the best option. If you go to a different dealer, then you are also susceptible to their rules, since you didn't buy from them. Your own dealer is wondering why you're not using them for service, and why you're complaining that their competition will not!
Old 04-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I purchased the Tuscany from MHSRV knowing I wasn't going back to Alvarado TX for service or warranty issues, Simply to many miles and not a fan of going across Dallas often in a Motor Home

Luckily Reliable RV, multiple line dealer in Springfield MO, honors all Thor products for warranty and service. If you are in the area they have a large dealership and very nice shop
Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #14

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Kinda what this thread is about...post them here. Buyers and owners will benefit from it. Non supportive dealers will lose business because of it.
I agree with your take on this. If you are a dealer it should be similar to the automotive side, service them the same

Something to consider and given a motor home which is made to travel why should you have to cross the country to get service. A bit different than buying other items that aren't mobile
Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #15

THOR #14970
Thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #16

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
while I understand your frustration, you have the pleasure to go anywhere and everywhere you wish for any service work, or warranty work, you have need of - no 'dealer' in the RV industry is controlled by a factory, though, and therefore having a forum that touts to 'share' these issues will not be able to change anything. These are independent businesses, and sell many makes and models, and just like you, can make any business choices they feel is best for them.
I get that folks want any and every dealership, shop, or service center to 'automatically' give them service, but the reality is that it's not that simple.
If those who purchase from a dealer have service and warranty from that dealer, then going to their dealer is certainly the best option. If you go to a different dealer, then you are also susceptible to their rules, since you didn't buy from them. Your own dealer is wondering why you're not using them for service, and why you're complaining that their competition will not!
I understand what you are saying but disagree. If you purchase a Ford in NY and then move to CA, you shouldn't have to drive to NY for service. Same as an RV
Old 04-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
If I buy a George Forum Grill from Target that dies in 10 days should I be upset when K-Mart refuses to make me whole even though they also sell Forum Grills?

If I buy a Camco Sewer Hose from Walmart but decide what I have is still good enough can I take to Camping World and expect a full return on my money?

The why should we expect anything different from an RV service center which is independent from the coach builders?
Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #18

THOR #14970
When u buy 80.000
Dollar RV Lot Difference
Old 04-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #19

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
If I buy a George Forum Grill from Target that dies in 10 days should I be upset when K-Mart refuses to make me whole even though they also sell Forum Grills?

If I buy a Camco Sewer Hose from Walmart but decide what I have is still good enough can I take to Camping World and expect a full return on my money?

The why should we expect anything different from an RV service center which is independent from the coach builders?
So you're new ride breaks down 2000 miles from where you purchased it and you think it is perfectly ok for the local dealer to have you tow your ride back to the seller?

You are a special person then, enjoy your tow
Old 04-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

Not the same thing by a long shot.

If I buy a $15,000 Chevy from a dealer 50 miles away because he has what I want in the right color, etc; I can expect to be able to take it to my Chevy dealer 5 miles away for any warranty item, or any service, without any type of hassle because I "didn't buy it there".

RV dealerships run the same way on the sales end: they should run the same way on the service end.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote