Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not the same thing by a long shot.

If I buy a $15,000 Chevy from a dealer 50 miles away because he has what I want in the right color, etc; I can expect to be able to take it to my Chevy dealer 5 miles away for any warranty item, or any service, without any type of hassle because I "didn't buy it there".

RV dealerships run the same way on the sales end: they should run the same way on the service end.

But they don’t. That’s sort of the point of this thread. We can all hope, wish and think they “should” behave like auto dealers but they don’t. This reality should be a factor in making your purchase decision. Perhaps the reason you can find a better price on a coach at a particular dealership in another state is that they don’t have the overhead of a full service department and they know they won’t be servicing your purchase. Your local dealership will have to charge even more for sales if they take on all comers for warranty work (Thor pays the dealer but not enough to offset all the overhead, capital and inventory associated with a big service operation). RVs are not autos. They are low volume specialty products that, with some exceptions, are sold by small, family owned businesses.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
They are low volume specialty products that, with some exceptions, are sold by small, family owned businesses.
Ummmmm? Where have you been the last 5 years? Camping World bought up most of those small dealerships and rebranded them. Now Camping World, General RV, Campers Inn and a few smaller franchises are in the vast majority of dealerships. The "exceptions" are the small, family owned businesses and they should put forth the extra service to compete. Because it doesn't matter what you think you are selling, if you are not selling customer service you will go by the wayside once you run out of new customers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #23

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ummmmm? Where have you been the last 5 years? Camping World bought up most of those small dealerships and rebranded them. Now Camping World, General RV, Campers Inn and a few smaller franchises are in the vast majority of dealerships. The "exceptions" are the small, family owned businesses and they should put forth the extra service to compete. Because it doesn't matter what you think you are selling, if you are not selling customer service you will go by the wayside once you run out of new customers.

Not going to argue about it but there are still lots of independent dealers and many of them are the very ones that bend over backwards to help their customers. But they don’t see a lot of percentage in fixing Camping
Worlds messes. Personally I’d like to see them wow CW’s customers in order to win their future business. It would raise the bar for everyone but they don’t seem to see it that way. Actually I think CW would like to see the independent dealers take their warranty hassles away as well! And you’re right, the small dealers that don’t take care of their customers are doomed. Many didn’t survive the recession and the ones that just staggered through will be the next to be bought up.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Where are all these new Camping Worlds at? I want to avoid them if all possible.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 AM   #25

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Delaware
THOR #12773
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
This (hopefully) is not the place for rants. If you've experienced a dealer that refused to perform warranty work on your Thor product, please post it here. Hopefully Thor will read this and take action. Equally and hopefully, this Thread will take sales away from these dealers and help new buyers in their selection of good, supportive dealers near them. If you are a dealer reading this Thread, feel free to post your contact info and confirm your willingness to support us.

Southern RV of McDonough, GA. Confirmed by statement of Service Writer.
Stolzfus RV’s &Marine, West Chester, PA

Was told when we purchased our coach at a competing dealer 4 hours away. ( Keystone RV)
Warrenty work would only be done once their customers were completed. They are 15 miles from our home.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Vehicles Dealers (RV's, cars, trucks, etc.) sign an agreement with the manufacturer of the products they contract to sell, that they will provide service and warranty work on those products...period. Most manufacturers even have a minimum required parts inventory the dealer must keep on hand. They have the right to service their own customers first, but they have an obligation to perform warranty work on any product lines they sell. It's not comparable to a sewer hose or a frying pan. Wrap your arms around any philosophy that makes you feel warm and fuzzy, but warranty work and service are part of the deal. Posting dealers here that wish to deviate from this for the purpose of "getting back at you" for not purchasing from them will affect their business...if we let new buyers know. I started looking at RV's in my own town...first. Most of them either didn't have what I wanted in inventory, wasn't interested in ordering it form me or chose not to be reasonably competitive in price. Everyone weights the cost in paying a little more for buying close to home vs. crossing the country to purchase. 82% of motorized RV's are purchased more than 500 miles from domicile. This is where the problem begins. Most buyers become repeat buyers. If I were a dealer, I would try to make up for the lost sale with excellent service. Service is the only thing that will keep customers...in ANY business.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #27

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
like lwmcquire said, I bought two different units, a Georgetown, and now our Palazzo, from the same Texas dealer, over 800 miles away from our then GA home base, with no consideration or thought of needing to 'use' them for service - I bought on price alone.

I think that many of us will disagree on whether a 'dealer' is under any obligation, at least to our specifications, to 'service' any and all RVs that drive into their service bay. As a business person myself, I understand that every independent business has their own reasons as to 'why' they do what they do, 'how' they do it, or even why they 'don't' do it. I don't blame any dealer for deciding that only 'their' customers will be serviced by their own service department. Their customers come first, and they may have enough of their own customers that it would seem unfair to those who bought from them to be pushed back by someone who just showed up 'out of the blue', expecting sudden service ahead of those other 'loyal' customers.

Other dealers, or service operations, may certainly run a different type of business model, taking any and all rigs who grace their presence. It makes sense if they either don't sell RVs, or have built a large service operation that is not dependent on their own customers.

Each business model is a 'for profit' design. We may 'think' that every dealer should just take anyone who shows up at their business, but the dealer may have realized long ago that it does not work well for them. They risk losing their own customers 'repeat business' if that customer, just like you, gets pushed back behind someone else, resulting in aggravation and 'questioning' their own dealer as to why 'others' take precedence over them.

I think that you'll find plenty, plenty, of dealers and service centers who will gladly provide you service. Don't get hung up on those who may not.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #28

THOR #11130
"I think that many of us will disagree on whether a 'dealer' is under any obligation, at least to our specifications, to 'service' any and all RVs that drive into their service bay."

Your assumption is people think they can drive up and demand service...anywhere. That's not the point here. The Post states "warranty work". If you build "widgets" and sell your own "widgets", you are an independent business...not a "dealer"...and you can do as you please. If your "business model" is dependent on selling someone else's widgets and you've agreed to perform warranty work on all customers that buy this brand, regardless of sales origin, you should follow through on the other half of the deal. For those who have experienced a "dealer" who refuses to do warranty work because the customer didn't buy from them...post them here. The train is back on track!! We're talking Warranty Work here...not general service.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #29

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think you may be assuming more than the facts: the RV industry, it's manufacturers, don't have a 'hold' on dealers to do anything, including warranty work.

There are 'authorized' dealers for warranty work, yes, for certain manufacturers, but those dealers are simply authorized because they have agreed to abide by the manufacturers set 'hourly rate' when billing them for warranty work, and the set number of 'work hours' for that type of repair or replacement. They have more free-will to take care of the work without having to get 'authorization' from the factory, first.
Other dealers, or repair shops, or mobile services, etc, who are NOT 'authorized' dealers can still perform any warranty work, they just have to call or contact the factory and first have it approved. It works no differently other than that. The factories can't demand that customers 'only' use their authorized dealers, but generally the work proceeds faster since the dealer is already 'pre-authorized' to do it.

Whether warranty or any other repair or service, any dealer can do things as they wish. Some may even sell RVs and have NO service center to do any work - they certainly are under no 'obligation' to provide warranty repairs, even to those RVs they sold.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
If I buy a George Forum Grill from Target that dies in 10 days should I be upset when K-Mart refuses to make me whole even though they also sell Forum Grills?

If I buy a Camco Sewer Hose from Walmart but decide what I have is still good enough can I take to Camping World and expect a full return on my money?

The why should we expect anything different from an RV service center which is independent from the coach builders?
That is an "apples and oranges" comparison. Taking an RV, or any vehicle for that matter, to a dealer for warranty issues is NOT the same as returning a defective item for a refund. These guys actually get paid by the manufacturer to do the warranty work. It's part of their agreement to get to sell the RVs.

There is a reason dealers have service departments...they make money on then. Otherwise they would not even offer that. True they get back-logged, and I understand prioritizing their own customers. But refusing to do warranty work is a violation of their dealer agreement, and Thor should should enforce that agreement. Pull their contract and send all those RVs to another dealer and see how fast they start agreeing to do the warranty work. The world's largest RV manufacturer can make this happen. And whether or not you like Thor products the truth is they sell more than anyone else. So a good relationship with Thor and their buyers should be of concern to these dealers.

Anyone notice how many of these jackass dealers went out of business or sold to Camping World or someone else when the economy went to hell after 2008? Of course they did...they pissed off too many local people. Now the economy is kicking again and the same crap attitudes have returned.

Luckily we have several RV dealers within a short distance. The local CW dealer asked if I bought from them. Told them no. Only response was, "when you trade I hope you give us a shot." They always gave me great service. Make appointments for things and keep the appointments just as they promise. Call and text me with updates on anything along the way. Friendly, professional, courteous, and even remember my name when I stop in. Even if just go to buy toilet chemicals I stop at the service desk to say hi because they always take time to chat with a customer. Guess where I just traded for a new rig.

That's how you get and keep business. MHSRV was going to make me a great deal, but CW gave me the same deal, and I didn't have to drive through Dallas twice. But the reason I even tried to get the deal there was I know I'll get good service.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #31

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Delaware
THOR #12773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post

Luckily we have several RV dealers within a short distance. The local CW dealer asked if I bought from them. Told them no. Only response was, "when you trade I hope you give us a shot." They always gave me great service. Make appointments for things and keep the appointments just as they promise. Call and text me with updates on anything along the way. Friendly, professional, courteous, and even remember my name when I stop in. Even if just go to buy toilet chemicals I stop at the service desk to say hi because they always take time to chat with a customer. Guess where I just traded for a new rig.

That's how you get and keep business. MHSRV was going to make me a great deal, but CW gave me the same deal, and I didn't have to drive through Dallas twice. But the reason I even tried to get the deal there was I know I'll get good service.
I couldn't agree more. When we were looking to purchase our Axis we asked several dealerships in our area about the model we wanted. None went out of their way to find what we were looking for. So we went out of state. The day we purchased I called a couple of these dealerships about warranty work. All gave same response if you didn't buy from us you were on the bottom of the list. With the backlog they had you knew what that meant. Good luck using the unit if it is sitting on their lot waiting for service. I called CW and they were more then happy to take on warrenty work. Even have appointment in May to get all major issues resolved. We have been to this CW several times when setting up our RV and did the same thing introduced ourself and made it a point to chat with service reps. If they had not been so receptive when we bought our coach from another dealer I wouldn't step foot in their store. I have read the stories on CW but so far we are happy with them.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 AM   #32

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I haven’t experienced not getting service but we do have a camping world in town that we purchased from. We do have another local dealership though that’s always advertising that they will work on anyone’s RV. It’s a failed business philosophy to not provide warranty or any other kind of service. Fact of the matter if you provide good service at a fair price you will sell more units. If I take my Silverado to get service done at a Ford service department they will sell tires change oil or whatever. May not be able to do everything but if they have the ability to service it they will. Why because they want me walking around the parking lot waiting noticing all the nice ecoboosts and one day trading it in. It’s the same reason why a lot of stores will take anyone’s returns they want you in their store becoming a customer.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:35 AM   #33

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #14807
It happens in the automobile industry too

I bought a Chevy pickup at the dealer in the town I lived.
I moved 30 miles away and needed warranty work.
I brought it to the Chevy dealer in my new town.
The service manager said...."Let me get this straight, you bought your truck there but now you expect us to fix it under warranty here????"
He went on to tell me they could squeeze me in......in about three months.

So, it can & does happen even in the automotive world.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #34

THOR #11130
It's a "Catch 22" scenario. Most manufacturers require the dealers to purchase upfront, all products they wish to inventory. Small dealers simply do not have the capital to do this. There are no "floor plans" available thru the manufacturers and there is no "Captive Finance" options either, such as Ford Motor Credit, etc. GM, Ford, Daimler...all the big car guys have floor plans whereby the dealer can inventory an approved level of debt at no cost for a few months. Cost of goods sold will not allow deep discounts for the small guys. The CW's and General RV of the industry have deep pockets and can carry the debt load. They must turn inventory fast, thus...deep discounts generate quick sales. They will inventory tons of models and people will drive hundreds...sometimes, thousands of miles to get what they want. Small dealers are charged with "cleaning up the mess" of warranty issues back home and they simply choose not to do so. It's more of a "getting back at the manufacturers" as it is not taking care of buyers. As I've always stated...until the manufacturers get their arms around this, nothing will improve and the after sale experience will continue to plague us, and it's consistent across every brand.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
That is an "apples and oranges" comparison. Taking an RV, or any vehicle for that matter, to a dealer for warranty issues is NOT the same as returning a defective item for a refund. These guys actually get paid by the manufacturer to do the warranty work. It's part of their agreement to get to sell the RVs.
When isn't a warranty issue because an item is defective? Regardless of what the item is, how much it may have cost or how the issue is correct, be it a return of your money or replacement of the item or even the next higher assembly, the end result is always the same, you are once again whole.

And the "agreement" dealers have to sell a particular brand rig, got a copy? A lot of us would like to see it and be proven wrong. PDF is preferable and we'll wait.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #36

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
When isn't a warranty issue because an item is defective? Regardless of what the item is, how much it may have cost or how the issue is correct, be it a return of your money or replacement of the item or even the next higher assembly, the end result is always the same, you are once again whole.

And the "agreement" dealers have to sell a particular brand rig, got a copy? A lot of us would like to see it and be proven wrong. PDF is preferable and we'll wait.

??? What are you talking about...agreement to sell a particular brand rig? They sign "dealer agreements" with manufacturers...I think that's safe to assume they're agreeing to sell that particular brand of product. What are "we" missing here? and who all is in the "lot"?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #37

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Leo's Vacation Center in Gambrills, MD. They won't work on anything they didn't sell.

Beckley's RV in Thurmont, MD. They sell Thor Four Winds and said that they wouldn't do warranty work on my Thor Chateau because they don't sell the Chateau. This makes no sense to me since the Chateau and Four Winds are identical except for some decor/color options, but that's their policy.

I know people tend to bash Camping World, but Camping World in Hanover, MD did warranty work on my Chateau even though I didn't buy it there, and their work was usually satisfactory. There's room for improvement, but they always made it right in the end.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #38

THOR #11130
I think CW falls into the category of everything else. Only those that have had serious issues (in their opinion) are the ones that will post and rave. The folks that have good experiences don't search the internet looking for places to post their rants. They're out camping n having fun. I haven't had any experience with CW other than overseeing my son's recent purchase of a TT. The "walk-thru" kid that does this for the salespeople was so full of crap he stunk. The pump kept running when we turned it off...his comment..."all the new RV's are that way, it's to remind you the pump is on". I pointed to a new Thor Class C in the bay net to us and asked him..."that one also?". He said..."yes...all of them". There was a few more issues with him so we finally pushed him out of the way and finished our own test of everything for the next hour. When we asked him to hook it up to city water he refused, stating he didn't have a pressure reducer. I pointed him to the store and said (censored). I think he was trained to do this. The TT was fine with no issues (water tank was empty). Sad that one idiot can cause a sales experience to go sour...especially that last few minutes of the process.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #39

THOR #6826
I had a CW salesman like that. He totally insisted that the water pump was a filter! Eventually he just stood aside and played with his phone while DW and I checked out the rig. We knew SO much more than he did. When we started talking price he gave us a ridiculous price and said take it or leave it. We left and went home. Later that day I got a call from the GM and we did just fine and negotiated a fair price with no hassles in closing and no high pressure sales push for an extended service contract. I actually believe CW is trying to improve their customer service.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:10 AM   #40

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Gritz- I bought from a dealer 4 miles from my house, I've always had good service, warranty and repair. Carpenters Campers sells several brands and all types of RV's. They advertise that they are an authorized service center for most manufacturers.. They do have a priority system, their customers come second only to repairs on transient customers needing repairs to continue.

Wait times are a huge problem, and getting worse. I've had RV's for 30+ years. Manufacturers are turning out half a million units a year, there just aren't the service bays to handle that demand. It's one thing to have a dealer tell you it will be 2-3 weeks before he can get you in and another to refuse service completely because you bought it elsewhere.

I don't think RV manufacturers have the control over dealers that Auto manufacturers do. I think your intent here is good, prospective buyers should know what to expect for service in their area, and publicity may pressure dealers to adapt.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote