Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thor Drops Axis/Vegas 25.2

Is anyone else as surprised? I thought the 24.1 and 25.2 floorplans were the most popular. Now they are only showing the original 24.1 plus the much newer 25.6 and 27.7.

Even more interesting to me is that Thor is presently down to 3 Axis/Vegas floorplans. At one point they had as many as 7 floorplans at once if I recall correctly.

What’s going on? Is original RUV fading, or are they making room for new floorplans?

Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Axis/Vegas

Speculation only, but I would guess that sales figures did not support that many options. They are going with what is selling the best.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I dont think the RUV is fading. To much demand for small A & C and B's right now.

I bet they will and one or two more floor plans (I hope).

I really like this RUV lineup - I hope it last for 20 + years!.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its a little late for Thor to do something but really they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

Perhaps there is a new floorplan in the works....
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Four + years into our Axis 24.1 and have found it to be the right unit for us. Always looking forward to the next trip
Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 AM   #6

Model: compass 23tw
THOR #7466
Hope maybe they have not updated all the floor plans yet.same as with the Gemini & Compass.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #7

THOR #10354
2017 Vegas 25.2 is collectable now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Is anyone else as surprised? I thought the 24.1 and 25.2 floorplans were the most popular. Now they are only showing the original 24.1 plus the much newer 25.6 and 27.7.

Even more interesting to me is that Thor is presently down to 3 Axis/Vegas floorplans. At one point they had as many as 7 floorplans at once if I recall correctly.

What’s going on? Is original RUV fading, or are they making room for new floorplans?
The shortest RV in the lineup when the slideout is not extended. 2100 miles and I will sell it for only $73,000.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is a wild thought: Perhaps Thor wants to make fewer floorplans for less variation on the factory floor and higher quality.....

LOLOLOLOL! Yeah Right...can't keep a straight face typing that ..!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
The improvement I would Love to see on the 24.1 is. Make the rear area a Horse Shoe Dining Area, that converts back into a full size bed. Would be nice playing cards, games, dinner?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #10

THOR #2121
I think the underlying problem may be manufacturing costs which puts too much pressure on profit margins.

Because they are smaller than a typical F-53-based Class A, buyers expect them to be significantly cheaper, but where can Thor really save on the build process?

The Ford E-450 Stripped chassis for the Axis/Vegas is listed about $2k higher than the larger F-53 (who knows what Thor actually pay for either of them). Then, Thor has to pay to get the chassis stretched, whereas F-53 motorhomes the chassis is already the right length.

Then there is issue of the front cab area of Axis/Vegas being tapered which must add cost due to additional manufacturing complexity. It’s always easier and faster to make things straight than to have to put a bend in a wall.

If the Axis/Vegas is priced lower than similar-size F-53 motorhomes, where is Thor going to make up the difference in order to make acceptable profit per unit?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Here is a wild thought: Perhaps Thor wants to make fewer floorplans for less variation on the factory floor and higher quality.....

LOLOLOLOL! Yeah Right...can't keep a straight face typing that ..!
Jamie...I was thinking the same thing....less quantity with more quality...why not fine tune the best selling models and make them the best of the best ! We continue to have a difficult time turning loose of the 24.1 … cannot find anything out there that comes close !

IN ADDITION...when we were looking at the Traverse, we liked the bed, the design is from Europe.
Last night I found the FROLI SYSTEM on the internet. I am going to lobby with Ron to replace our beds with this! It is amazing !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #12

THOR #12231
I guess 3 floor plans is not too bad... Small, Med and Large floor plans.

Personally I would like to see one more in the middle. Some folks like a couch/theather seating and others want a booth (like me).

Perhaps they will alow us to customized the floor plans some? Just switch out the dining setup for our needs. That would be sweet.

They can make a ton of money with options IMO. Auto makers have been doing for years.

If we could add an Inverter, Hydro levelers, or Solor system already installed etc. Many of us would have paid more up front for stuff like this (instead of installing ourselves).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I think the underlying problem may be manufacturing costs which puts too much pressure on profit margins.

Because they are smaller than a typical F-53-based Class A, buyers expect them to be significantly cheaper, but where can Thor really save on the build process?

The Ford E-450 Stripped chassis for the Axis/Vegas is listed about $2k higher than the larger F-53 (who knows what Thor actually pay for either of them). Then, Thor has to pay to get the chassis stretched, whereas F-53 motorhomes the chassis is already the right length.

Then there is issue of the front cab area of Axis/Vegas being tapered which must add cost due to additional manufacturing complexity. It’s always easier and faster to make things straight than to have to put a bend in a wall.

If the Axis/Vegas is priced lower than similar-size F-53 motorhomes, where is Thor going to make up the difference in order to make acceptable profit per unit?
The front cap is all fiberglass so it just comes out of a mold. Once the mold is made they can just crank them out (I'm sure all the other Class A's that Thor makes are manufactured in a similar fashion).

The question is: Is it cheaper to make a fiberglass front cap from a mold than it is to build the cab over bunk (which, in many of Thor's cases, is also in fiberglass from a mold).
Old 11-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I guess 3 floor plans is not too bad... Small, Med and Large floor plans.

Personally I would like to see one more in the middle. Some folks like a couch/theather seating and others want a booth (like me).

Perhaps they will alow us to customized the floor plans some? Just switch out the dining setup for our needs. That would be sweet.

They can make a ton of money with options IMO. Auto makers have been doing for years.

If we could add an Inverter, Hydro levelers, or Solor system already installed etc. Many of us would have paid more up front for stuff like this (instead of installing ourselves).
Many of those options the dealer can do for you. Its just that the dealer's really don't tell customers that they can customize the coach for them. (Of course many of the dealers just want to sell the coach and run in the first place...do extra work? why?)
Old 11-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
The front cap is all fiberglass so it just comes out of a mold. Once the mold is made they can just crank them out (I'm sure all the other Class A's that Thor makes are manufactured in a similar fashion).

The question is: Is it cheaper to make a fiberglass front cap from a mold than it is to build the cab over bunk (which, in many of Thor's cases, is also in fiberglass from a mold).
I was refering to cab, not cap — as in cabin. I know the front cap is molded in one piece like other motorhomes, but one thing that jumped out at me as I passed an Axis on the highway is that the side walls are not straight. I’ll take a closer look this afternoon when I visit local RV Show, but I’m pretty sure the Axis/Vegas body starts to narrow ahead of the entry door (when door is located just behind passenger seat as in 24.1).

It would be very interesting to see how much cheaper Thor could build an entry-level Axis/Vegas if they tried; and what that would do to their RUV marketing. I think they are pricing the Axis/Vegas right out of the market as they keep making them larger into F-53 territory.

Like Long & Winding road, I too would like to see more floorplan options, but I’d like to see at least one smaller than the 24.1. A little smaller like the Winnebago Reyo and Via Class As may interest some of the “B” buyers. It would have to be significantly cheaper, slightly more fuel efficient, and small enough to not require a toad.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Yeah the Axis/Vegas is much cheaper than the B's I see advertised. I dont know if its because most of them are based on the MB spinter with a diesel motor and that cost that much more? Or if the B market somehow commands a higher price?

IMO they are not worth the price unless the were around the $69,999 mark (starting point). They are just a van with stuff added to them.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah the front end is tapered--its even on the floorplan images on their website if you look closely enough.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Quote:
Yeah the front end is tapered--its even on the floorplan images on their website if you look closely enough.
Yep, thats just one of the many styling cues I like about the Axis/Vegas RUV lineup. Very unique .... but I get bugs that splatter on the side windows - Oh well.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah the Axis/Vegas is much cheaper than the B's I see advertised. I dont know if its because most of them are based on the MB spinter with a diesel motor and that cost that much more? Or if the B market somehow commands a higher price?

IMO they are not worth the price unless the were around the $69,999 mark (starting point). They are just a van with stuff added to them.
“Bs” cost more to manufacture than “As” of similar size, so that limits their market share. Most buyers seem to prefer larger size for a given cost. Having said that, it’s interesting that Thor Airstream Class Bs are some of the most expensive; with high cost limiting then to just above 10% of all van campers.

Class Bs also tend to push limits of technology to a greater degree. This afternoon I got to see the Winnebago Travato with Lithium package. That alone adds about $20k. That’s the kind of option you won’t see in entry As or Cs. Same can be said for solar — Class Bs were at forefront of factory solar systems.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 AM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
I looked at it closer at RV Show, and it definitely has to add some cost versus straight walls. If you recall, the original Class A built on an E-Series Stripped chassis (it was not the Axis/Vegas) had straight sidewalls, which made it look a little goofy. Other than looks, it was more spacious and probably cheaper to build.