Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #918
Thor Four Widns vs Freedom Elite

Hello,

We are new to RVs and looking to purchase Freedom Elite 22E. Recently I found Thor Four Winds 22E which looks identical to Freedom Elite. However when I contacted the dealer, he said that construction of Freedom Elite is low quality than Four Winds.

I would like to find out if someone had a chance to compare Four Wind and Freedom Elite?

We've test drive Freedom Elite but the dealer which sales Four winds is quite far.

Thank you.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I visited the Thor Class C factory last fall. I don't recall seeing the Freedom Elite at the factory, but I do recall seeing Four Winds and Chateau units being built on the assembly line. The only difference between the two were the decals being applied.

I asked the tour guide what the difference was, and he told me that each "brand" was for a different market, but no real differences.

They did not allow photos at the factory, so I cannot recall if I saw other brands on the line or not.

I do think though that Freedom Elite is made specifically for Camping World, so the potential exists that they might order x number of units with certain specifications that differ from the Four Winds or Chateau coaches.

I do also remember seeing about a dozen Cruise America logo'ed RVs leaving the plant the day we were there (but none on the production line). So those might have also been a special production run. I do believe that there are a few differences with those coaches. The ones I have seen look more "Spartan", but I don't know what all the differences are for sure.

What I am really saying is I don't know for sure, but my guess is it comes down to options.

You are probably going to have to do a detailed walk-around on both brands. The frame, etc. might be the same, but do they both have the same options? Electric vs. Manual awning, Mattress the same? one or two coach batteries, leatherette (fancy name for vinyl) or cloth upholstery? Does it have a spare tire, trailer hitch, and so on. You will likely find your answer in those areas.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

THOR #918
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the details you've mentioned. I've talked to Camping World and Freedom Elite is they "house brand". They usually ask different manufacturers to produce it, one year from another.
So, I guess the differences only in interior materials. The construction should be the same.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 23U
State: Indiana
THOR #1430
I own a 2013 Freedom Elite 23U and I wish I had thought of everything to ask before trading my 18 foot Forest River Ultra Lite. The only reason we traded was because I could not back it up to save my life. Many arguements ensued during my learning curve and I finally decided to get a Class C. I must say, Camping World had my number the minute I walked onto the lot. I usually can cut through the bs when purchasing vehicles, but somehow I made the bad decision to purchase the Freedom Elite. For just a little more money and investigation I may have made a better decision. Now just stuck with the seal breakages, the dead battery, the water heater valves breaking, the pump breaking, the cabinet doors breaking and so on and so forth. If you have another option than the Freedom Elite in mind, I would suggest you go for it.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #5

THOR #918
Thank you graham cracker for your reply and sharing your story. This is our first year with Freedom Elite 23H model. I do agree that these units made cheap, but that's reflected in the price. After completing a research, there are no NEW class C units available at $50K price point. So when we've made a decision to purchase ours, we had in mind that we have to deal with cheap wood and inexpensive appliances.

We've bought our 23H for extended camping trips, so, after last year camping season we've made a list of items needed the attention and brought the unit to Camping World. It took Camping World 2 months to sort it out!!! However, it's winter in Colorado, so instead of storing the unit at the storage, it had spent these two months at the dealership.

I think the main feature here is that the warranty covers all of these repairs.

Since it's our first RV unit (we've upgraded from Starcraft 10RT pop up), I was not sure what to check if we would go for the used one. We also didn't want to invest too much money and than decide to go back to camping trailers.

So overall it's not the perfect unit, but at the price point and full warranty it works grate for us.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have a Four Winds 23U and so far love it. It is a 2012 with only 1600 miles and we have been out only twice and everything seems to work. I was in it the other day and it was 2 degrees out. Gen started furnace worked everything seemed fine we will know more when we start using it more often.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
One reason we went with a Class C rather than a Class A is I figure that the more percentage of the RV that Ford builds vs. the RV manufacturer... the better.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:22 AM   #8

THOR #918
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
We have a Four Winds 23U and so far love it. It is a 2012 with only 1600 miles and we have been out only twice and everything seems to work. I was in it the other day and it was 2 degrees out. Gen started furnace worked everything seemed fine we will know more when we start using it more often.
Thank you for sharing.

Check the water pump filter next time you'll have a chance. (it's under U shape dinette).
There were a bunch of plastic shavings from fresh water tank.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
Get a Good Sam credit card and buy all your gas on that. You get road side service and the Platinum insurances free, that a dealer will try to sell you for $6,200. They will try to make you finance that over 20 years when it is only good for 7.
You can buy the Good Sam extended Warrenty cheaper than the one a dealer will sell you. If you already signed for it, cancel it and buy your own direct.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #10

THOR #6026
We added steering stablizers and sway bars after our first trip. Now we are adding sound deadening carpet and upgraded seats. We love our 22FE, now we just want it to last 20 years like our Ford trucks, and we want to travel a lot over the next 6 months.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #11

THOR #6026
We tried to trade in our FE22 a few months after we got it, but we paid 58k and it only had a 45k trade-in value, so we are keeping it and making the inside what we want.
Added a TV, steering stabilizer, sway bars, spare tire, tire monitors, and most important the sewage mizerizer (best buy yet.) Next we will add side cameras, heated-swivel-leather seats, sound deadening carpet and floor mats. We are turning the dinette into a U-shaped couch with tv trays because we are too large for the table. We cut the mattress so it is now a lounger when we travel and folds back into a bed when we extend. I am retiring the end of Jan. and we plan on putting lots of miles on it over the next 6 months. Disney, New Orleans, Grand Canyon, then Maine to Washington State. We can't wait. Also, with the Good Sam card we get free campsites or discounted sites. We will add heated tanks next year.
Even with all our upgrades, we are still $25,000 below what we would have paid for an upgraded RV.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #12

THOR #6026
cutting the mattress.

Cutting the mattress in half creates a lounger for long trips without adding discomfort to sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14463203_10153794770440824_5277664736733821212_n.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	3608  
Old 12-27-2016, 03:23 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Based off what I saw and what I have read online the Four winds and Freedom elite are the same RV. Freedom elite is exculsive for camping world. With the freedom elite they order a lot and all with the same options. With four winds you can still get a hand full of options but there is only a few that are not already included in the freedom elite. the Chateau is a step up from the two but only a few small upgrades.

I have a 2017. I priced out all the other budget brands including four winds and cheapest I cold find was a four winds and they wanted 69k for a 2016 and we ordered a 2017 for 60k.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
FE and FW about as cheep as they come, but what would you expect for 50k. Looked at both, no difference that I could tell. Both have some very basic omissions such as 110v outlets in a few more convenient locations. Appliances are your run of the mill Atwood oven, Suburban furnace and water heater, Norcold Refer, Coleman AC, the same used in more expensive units. As far as construction, no difference. Get the best deal you can, these two brands are one of the same.

Tags
22e, elite, freedom, winds