Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 05:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Pedal Commander

I am soon to be a new owner of a Thor 22FE. I recently bought and installed a device on my 2015 RAM 1500 with 5.7 Hemi V8 called Pedal Commander. It's a plug and play device that "does not" use OBD port and "does not" change the CPU program. What it does is eliminates the lag in throttle response for quicker acceleration and has a multitude of 4 settings from ECO to Sport 2. I've had it for almost a month now on my RAM truck and the difference in throttle response is like night and day. Does not add any horsepower, just quickens throttle response making it much faster in acceleration. I just checked Pedal Commander website and according to their site, they have one that says for all Ford gas engines. Question: Has anyone tried one for the Triton V10? The install is: plugs in between throttle wire connection and the control device then can be velcro'd to dash. According to polls on the RAM forum I belong to, everyone who has one is extremely happy with it. Install takes about 10 minutes. The one I bought for my RAM was $399. The one they offer for the Ford is $299. Check it out and if anyone has one on their V10, please let us know what your opinion is. I do not have "any" affiliation with this product. Only trying to let others know about it.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
So basically it takes the TPS (throttle position sensor) signal from the pedal and tweaks it a little bit before it gets to the engine computer. (Most likely just changes the response of the pedal to some curve--and the various settings just change the curve (yeah speculation on my part).)

An interesting approach to avoid reprogramming the engine computer (and possibly voiding the warranty). If you have to take it to a dealer you'd simply remove it and they wouldn't be any wiser.

Personally I don't think I'd try it: Since I already have experience with a 5-Star tune on a previous vehicle I would be more inclined to put a 5-Star tune on my RV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So basically it takes the TPS (throttle position sensor) signal from the pedal and tweaks it a little bit before it gets to the engine computer. (Most likely just changes the response of the pedal to some curve--and the various settings just change the curve (yeah speculation on my part).)

An interesting approach to avoid reprogramming the engine computer (and possibly voiding the warranty). If you have to take it to a dealer you'd simply remove it and they wouldn't be any wiser.

Personally I don't think I'd try it: Since I already have experience with a 5-Star tune on a previous vehicle I would be more inclined to put a 5-Star tune on my RV.
I would also prefer a tune however, my RAM is still under factory warranty and I don't want to take a risk with that. This add is 10 minutes on and off and not detectable. You're right also about changing fuel curve. Adds more fuel to curve. On my RAM, made a much, much faster off line starts and seems quicker passing response.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

Absolutely correct it changes the throttle control voltage curve. The same effect can be had by simply pushing on the gas pedal harder. Its a placebo for the butt dyno.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #5

THOR #8606
Yes, "simply" does same as pushing throttle down harder. All I can say is, I don't know how it would work on the V10 Ford engine, but on my RAM Hemi and everyone else on the RAM forum that has "tried" one on their truck, is extremely please with it's results. Before I had one on my RAM, their was a definite delay in launch an passing even "tromping" the throttle down. This "has" removed that delay which gets my truck moving much quicker from a stand still and passing. I am not an engineer or expert but by personal witness, it does work. I've contacted pedal commander and they do make one for the Triton V10 which I will be putting on my rig when I pick it up soon. Will update when I do.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Yes, "simply" does same as pushing throttle down harder. All I can say is, I don't know how it would work on the V10 Ford engine, but on my RAM Hemi and everyone else on the RAM forum that has "tried" one on their truck, is extremely please with it's results. Before I had one on my RAM, their was a definite delay in launch an passing even "tromping" the throttle down. This "has" removed that delay which gets my truck moving much quicker from a stand still and passing. I am not an engineer or expert but by personal witness, it does work. I've contacted pedal commander and they do make one for the Triton V10 which I will be putting on my rig when I pick it up soon. Will update when I do.
You haven't even picked up your rig and you are assuming that there are throttle issues to deal with? Give it some time, drive it a bit before you determine that you need to mess with it.

The V-10 is a very peppy engine all by itself; there really isn't any throttle delay to it at all. Just keep in mind that it loves to scream.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:03 AM   #7

THOR #8606
Your assumption is right. I have not picked it up yet, "but" have driven it. I will give it some getting use to though but unless you've driven a vehicle without a p.c. then with one, you'll be extremely pleased with the difference, at least on the RAM Hemi. Only negative I've read about these is if you use in ECO mode, at least on a RAM hemi, has been known to throw a code of which I don't know to what reference and it does state this on my instructions included. I don't use this mode and am not concerned about mileage anyways, just like the much quicker acceleration.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
My V10 has lots of power and the 6 speed tranny can put that power down nicely. I really like the tranny down-shift feature on this F53.