Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Noisy Furnace - Challenger

We've had our Challenger 37TB now almost a year. In that year we've not had need of our gas furnace (very lucky and well planned). After spending a couple of months in Key West we've been making our way back north. We've been in central Florida for about a week and I needed to turn on our furnace (39 overnight - uugghh).

We typically use our fireplace and a small electric heater but with the chill this morning I turned on the furnace. The furnace works but WOW - is it noise when the heat box is firing. Sounds is almost a rumble. When the flame cuts off and just the blower is working not so noisy.

Any others out there with such a noisy furnace rather it is in a Challenger or not?

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Oh yeah the furnace in every RV we've owned sounded like a jet engine running inside! LOL

In the Axis it may be a bit noisier since its smaller inside. I've got used to it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #3

THOR #1020
Thanks - I may try adding some sound dampening insulation. It is a REAL RUMBLE.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
It is loud. Not sure where yours is in the TB but in the ND it is right behind the fireplace in the living area. Not bad a night when sleeping but during the day while sitting it is noticeable.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

THOR #1020
Thanks all. Appreciate the input. I guess it is just noisy and I need to be careful with the insulation. We only use the furnace when it is in the 30s to reheat the coach in the mornings. Small electric space heater in the front and fireplace in the middle.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Also be very careful about running it all night without being plugged in. The heater fans will eat up your batteries very quickly.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
In my 34E Hurricane, it's not actually very loud inside the coach. The furnace is located underneath the refrigerator, and behind cabinets. The 1/2 bathroom's location also helps to insulate the sound from the rest of the coach.

When sleeping, I sometimes crack the bedroom window. A couple of times I have been awoken at 3 a.m. by the external sound of a tiny F16 afterburner kicking in. The externals furnace vent is about five feet from the window. With the window closed, even the tiny jet engine isn't very noticeable.

From years ago with my Fleetwood Folding Trailer, (a PopUp camping trailer), with it's haphazardly mounted furnace I learned that mounting is everything. Those mini-jet engine furnaces must be securely mounted to solid frame, (and/or walls and cabinets). If not, they will resonate and greatly amplify the sounds that they create. After I very securely re-mounted the PopUp's furnace, it became less noisy and more hospitable.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
The furnace is noisy, in the Siesta it is located under the bed. Took a few nights before I got used to the sound. Spent over a week with night temps in the 20's and the furnace worked well, and I slept right through.... Also kept the tank areas heated so no freeze ups...