Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I am stuck in the middle of Thor and Ford pointing fingers at each other!!
We have a brand new never used 2017 Thor 26HE Freedom Elite that leans to the left. Thor told me that Ford would be the one to correct the problem that the chassis spring in most likely the problem. Ford dealer said they cannot find anything wrong with the leaf springs and that Thor just put to much "stuff" on that side when they built it. Our RV has been sitting at Camping world for two months!!!! We bought the unit on March 4, 2017, the first month was learning and outfitting. (sheets towels, etc) We have never used the RV.

I am at the point of using South Carolina "Lemon law" and get a lawyer.

Has anyone else had a leaning problem with their RV, or know of any?

Take care

JP Charleston sc
Hellow everybody .I have same model 2017 freedom elite.26 foot long .Leaning on left 3 inch. Fite with ford,Thor ,and camping world. Anybody already fix this problem?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 AM   #22

THOR #7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If he didn't give you a copy already, you may want to ask for one of the corner weights. It'll allow you to check against chassis ratings, plus also help you set the correct tire pressures.
Hellow everybody .I have same model 2017 freedom elite.26 foot long .Leaning on left 3 inch. Fite with ford,Thor ,and camping world. Anybody already fix this problem?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I spoke to a good truck place and discussed the issue with them. Apparently it is mostly just an aesthetic thing and won't cause any actual problems. The corner weights on my machine clearly identify the cause as nearly 600 lbs more on the left side related to the floor plan and design of the coach - nearly everything heavy and most of the storage is on that side. That said, the guy was confident he could fix it with a helper spring or by adding an additional leaf to the spring on that side. Cost would be "less than $300". I've since noticed that a good number of RVs lean a bit. I don't think I'm going to get mine "fixed".
Old 06-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #24

THOR #7456
Ok.I understand for you its no big deal. But remember Motorhome must be in level for refrigerator proper operation . If no level, cooling unit clung up,and you wil be paying 1800 dollars for new refrigerator plus labor, second when its leaning on one side your rv pooling on right, just realize you lost control and rv go out of road- in canyon. Next is lots of stres on steering colum,and suspantion, tire war out,and more!!!! Sound good for you.In my situation i have 3 problem.First its leaning on left 3 inch, second i have vibration from drive line after 45 mile per hour, third its polling on right.Horrible noise in rear excel aria. Realize driving for 8 hours and don't go faster then 45 50 mile per hour. Wibration go to all cabinet ,and its located in rear excel aria. Ford dont wont to repair, because leaning problem. Camping World looking on me for 5 weeks, and i see no body have idea what next, and what to do. I understand maybe engineer ho work for Thore, by diploma on "Garage sale" and have no coming sense. But for me after paying so mach money, to "Thore" some body must take responcebility for their product. Looks like i need go to freeway and start driving 70-75 mile per hour. If its blow up , and drive line keels som body.Ho is responsible? Camping world say its ok,to drive, Ford say its not our problem, this is Thor problem. Thor Don't responded to any calls .What next???? Hellow????
Old 06-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvEagle View Post
Ok.I understand for you its no big deal. But remember Motorhome must be in level for refrigerator proper operation . If no level, cooling unit clung up,and you wil be paying 1800 dollars for new refrigerator plus labor, second when its leaning on one side your rv pooling on right, just realize you lost control and rv go out of road- in canyon. Next is lots of stres on steering colum,and suspantion, tire war out,and more!!!! Sound good for you.In my situation i have 3 problem.First its leaning on left 3 inch, second i have vibration from drive line after 45 mile per hour, third its polling on right.Horrible noise in rear excel aria. Realize driving for 8 hours and don't go faster then 45 50 mile per hour. Wibration go to all cabinet ,and its located in rear excel aria. Ford dont wont to repair, because leaning problem. Camping World looking on me for 5 weeks, and i see no body have idea what next, and what to do. I understand maybe engineer ho work for Thore, by diploma on "Garage sale" and have no coming sense. But for me after paying so mach money, to "Thore" some body must take responcebility for their product. Looks like i need go to freeway and start driving 70-75 mile per hour. If its blow up , and drive line keels som body.Ho is responsible? Camping world say its ok,to drive, Ford say its not our problem, this is Thor problem. Thor Don't responded to any calls .What next???? Hellow????
Paragraphs?
Spell Checking?

And the refrigerator level issue is more of a front to rear problem, not a side to side problem
Old 06-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #26

THOR #7456
Thank you for reminding me about paragraphs and spell checking, Only if it's fix my problem))). English my third language. Sorry for miss spelling .
Old 06-24-2017, 02:36 AM   #27

State: South Carolina
THOR #6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvEagle View Post
I went to a heavy truck spring shop. They are going to place a leveling block on my left rear RV springs using a block and new Ubolts. $150

I had a Safe-T-plus steering stabilizer installed somewhere else, but they are going to check the alignment for me also. (don't know cost as of date)

The safe T plus made a BIG improvement in the steering!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #28

State: Florida
THOR #6333
Have a 2017 Quantum KM24 with similar lean. FW tank runs out shortly after 2/3 full light goes out. Wonder if the lean moves water away from outlet point in tank. Anyone else notice this?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #29

THOR #9159
We have the exact same model and year, and the exact same lean to the left. Bums me out. Wife too. Getting dual zone airbags installed shortly to counter the lean. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
My 2017 Four Winds 26B leans to the driver and even more once the slide goes out. The slide, generator, fresh water, and gray water are all driver while the black tank, fridge, and clothes closet are passenger. We store heavier items like pop and water beneath the couch to offset the fresh water tank and load heavier items in closet and drawers and lighten items in the pantry.

Our long term solution will be the same as our past solutions. Air lift 5000 bags with onboard air and dual gauges/zones to manage left vs right.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #30

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I've owned, bought new, Thor Freedom Elite 22FE that also leans to left about 1 1/2". Noticed when did PDI and pointed out. C.W. said due to all weight on the drivers side, they all did that. Going to get Ford Dealership to take a look to make sure springs are not failing, but pisses me off and looks like hell from the rear. Probably going to end up putting Air Lift 1000 air bags in rear with separate controls to level out. I don't know anything about the dynamics of how this effects handling but seems that it would and if that weight can be lifted, will shift center of gravity to right front and would handle better. Other than that, handles O.K., not great but is not like driving a car. Had a Safe T Plus put on and did improve tracking some but still have to pay attention to steering much more than my Wife's Volvo or my RAM truck. All and all, at 60-65 mph, wonders a little and passing trucks to not blow me over.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I've owned, bought new, Thor Freedom Elite 22FE that also leans to left about 1 1/2". Noticed when did PDI and pointed out. C.W. said due to all weight on the drivers side, they all did that.
Don't you just HATE it, when they say that?
(Even when it's true: they should give you more...)

Now we're all going to be hanging off the rear bumpers, with tape measures in our hands!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #32

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Just got home with my new 2018 Challenger. It auto leveled fine at the dealer's lot and at the campground where we stayed en route, but in the driveway it is too high on passenger side and rear. I tried manual level and could fix front to back, but not the side to side. Then I noticed that it is 2" higher on passenger side back bumper with no levelers down. Did not think to check this before☹️, so not sure if it was always leaning or is a new development during the drive (500 miles).

I had Safe t plus put on before I picked it up and barely noticed passing 18 wheelers on the interstate, but it did have a pretty rough ride. Sure felt imperfections in the pavement and would love to hear if there is a way to get a smoother ride without spending a fortune.

With it so far off level I'm afraid to put the slides out. Waiting for a call back from a truck repair shop. CW here did not get good reviews.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #33

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post
Just got home with my new 2018 Challenger. It auto leveled fine at the dealer's lot and at the campground where we stayed en route, but in the driveway it is too high on passenger side and rear. I tried manual level and could fix front to back, but not the side to side. Then I noticed that it is 2" higher on passenger side back bumper with no levelers down. Did not think to check this before☹️, so not sure if it was always leaning or is a new development during the drive (500 miles).

I had Safe t plus put on before I picked it up and barely noticed passing 18 wheelers on the interstate, but it did have a pretty rough ride. Sure felt imperfections in the pavement and would love to hear if there is a way to get a smoother ride without spending a fortune.

With it so far off level I'm afraid to put the slides out. Waiting for a call back from a truck repair shop. CW here did not get good reviews.

I'm not sure whether this even applies to your situation, but I experienced something similar in my 2017 Miramar after I got it home from the dealer. It took a bunch of rather heated discussion between the dealer and Thor (plus two extended visits to the shop), before it was discovered that Thor had installed the leveling jack controller (center of the coach somewhere under the floor) BACKWARDS!

Bottom line, what the controller THOUGHT was right rear, was ACTUALLY left front. When auto-leveled on a relatively plumb surface (like the dealer's driveway, or a level campsite), it worked fine, because the feedback was within tolerances for what thought should "level enough". But on my driveway, which has a slight slope, it went all wonky. Felt like it was gonna tip over the coach. Like you, I was able to mostly level it manually, but it was rather scary.

Were I you, I would consider that there might be multiple issues in your situation (it is a Thor, after all), and ask the dealer to verify the factory installation of the jack controller to maybe eliminate one possibility. If they did it to mine, they might have done it to yours.

You should definitely get it figured out before using those sliders.... they're a whole other kind of "prone to fail".

Glad to hear about the Safe T Plus and lane stability. I've been contemplating that installation myself.

Happy Trails!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #34

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Thank you so much!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post
A quick fix for the "slides" issue: don't extend them, unless you've put down your leveling jacks first!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #36

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Before you haul it to the dealer try to recalibrate the level system. Manually level the coach using as long a level has you have on the floor/cabinet inside the coach, then with the level system "OFF" press the "front" 10 times then "rear" 10 times then "enter", the display should then light up & indicate "system calibrated" or something to that effect. Then raise all the jacks & try the "auto level". After this you'll know it's been calibrated & if it still goes all haywire you'll know its Thors mix up.
Also if your driveway is too sloped you may have to use some blocks under the low sides or the jacks may get "over stroked", which means they're too short to raise that much.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #37

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My 2017 Freedom Elite 26HE is the same as yours and it also leans to the left. It's noticeable even when it's parked and empty. It's noticeably more pronounced when the slide is out and I'd expect it's even more so when there are two people sleeping in the slide. Sometimes I put an extra leveling block on the left side while I'm setting up but usually I ignore it. I've noticed that many RVs do this and I've decided that the left side is just heavier than the right side (it has the slide, the kitchen, the generator, the propane tank and the fresh water tank on that side) and I think it's just one of the quirks of the thing. No big deal.
FYI: I just purchased my 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE, Aug. 9th. Pointed out the leaning to left during PDI and Sales said they would look into it. I accepted the coach and drove home. Got a call from Sales person, He said according to other people at C.W., all the class C's with slide outs lean due to the weight of additional 800 lbs. I was not satisfied with this answer and suspected possibly weak or failing springs. Service Tech had shop check and told me that everything looked O.K., nothing broken or misplaced and if I wanted it checked further, would have to take it to a Ford Dealership. Several days later, I received a survey call from Thor asking me how I'd liked my coach so far. I told the person on the phone about the leaning issue. She asked me if I'd contacted Thor Tech. Support, which I had not thought of, and She transferred me to them. I explained the entire story from PDI inspection to Tech Support. Person of phone at Tech Support, said yes, that has been an issue with some Class C's and was an easy fix that can be done at C.W. service center and HE would call the Service Writer whom I've worked with on this. Support told me, easy fix, Thor would cover: jack up rig, install spring spacer kit on leaf spring to correct the lean. Got a tel. call from C.W. service writer same day and He said Thor contacted Him, as they said they would, and I made an appointment to take in next week to do some measuring for correct spring spacer kit. Didn't have to contact Ford and hopefully will resolve putting an end to this fiasco. One thing that I cannot believe: C.W. service people I am sure, has knowledge about this type issue, since Thor told me it was a known issue on some Class C's. and they tried to pass the buck by sending me to Ford which I'd have to start the entire b.s. process and story again, obtain O.K. from Thor to repair, etc. So bottom line: you people out their that may have a Class C with slide outs and other heavy weight items on same side that have a lean to that side on your coach, contact Thor Technical Support about this. They were extremely friendly and helpful.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #38

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I'm glad Thor gave you a satisfactory solution. I've found their customer service to be helpful and responsive. I asked a truck service guy about it when mine was in for alignment and weighing. Corner weights confirmed the cause of the issue to be more weight on the left side because many heavy things are on that side (duh!). The guy said it's an aesthetic issue only and not really a problem. He could add a spacer for about $100 but suggested that a better fix given the nature of the issue would be to add a leaf to the spring or a small helper spring for about $300. I've not had anything done yet and probably won't.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #39

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
SumoSprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
My 2017 Freedom Elite 26HE is the same as yours and it also leans to the left. It's noticeable even when it's parked and empty. It's noticeably more pronounced when the slide is out and I'd expect it's even more so when there are two people sleeping in the slide. Sometimes I put an extra leveling block on the left side while I'm setting up but usually I ignore it. I've noticed that many RVs do this and I've decided that the left side is just heavier than the right side (it has the slide, the kitchen, the generator, the propane tank and the fresh water tank on that side) and I think it's just one of the quirks of the thing. No big deal.
Try Sumo Springs.Fairly cheap and easy to install. Get the 1000lb or higher rated.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Try Sumo Springs.Fairly cheap and easy to install. Get the 1000lb or higher rated.
If we get the Sumo Springs: would you suggest them for all four corners, or just the rear?