Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
In-Dash Radio Question

Anyone know why the in dash radio (with backup camera) is wired to the house battery?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
So you can listen to the radio while your at camp without having to turn the key to accessory.

We use the bluetooth feature of the radio to turn the camper into a wireless speaker.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Depends on how old the RV is. Thor made a design change I think in 2013 to wire the radio to the house battery. Previous year models (such as my 2011 coach) is wired to the vehicle battery.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If the in dash is the primary DVD player for your coach it is so you can watch a movie without draining the coach battery.

Keep in mind, the house batteries are charged by the engine alternator when running but the chassis battery is not charged by shore power or coach generator.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
dstankov, that was my concern. It's a 2015 model, by the way and there is a radio in the house that can be used if I want music, etc while camped. Also it is not the main DVD player. Not a big deal, just something I'm not used to.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So you can listen to the radio while your at camp without having to turn the key to accessory.

We use the bluetooth feature of the radio to turn the camper into a wireless speaker.
I'm going to have to play around with that. I'm thinking DW will like that "feature" if I can get it to work.

Mine has a pioneer unit, and I find it horrible to work with, with few hard buttons and very non-intuitive menus.... and the manual is near worthless, IMHO.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

THOR #908
At first, I really didn't like that it was powered by the house.
I ran into it a couple times when I'd go to move the RV from home to the storage lot or something. No need for house power so I'd leave it off..... then, I'd need the camera..... no luck!

That's one thing I'd really like to do some day but likely never will.... I'd like to make a switch panel on the dash, so that I could control house power & generator, & I think it would even be good to have control of the fridge and water heater, so that I can shut them off when pulling into a fuel station. Really, I think that everything should be controllable from the driver's position, including the water pump, tank heaters, slides, etc....
Old 06-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
At first, I really didn't like that it was powered by the house.
I ran into it a couple times when I'd go to move the RV from home to the storage lot or something. No need for house power so I'd leave it off..... then, I'd need the camera..... no luck!

That's one thing I'd really like to do some day but likely never will.... I'd like to make a switch panel on the dash, so that I could control house power & generator, & I think it would even be good to have control of the fridge and water heater, so that I can shut them off when pulling into a fuel station. Really, I think that everything should be controllable from the driver's position, including the water pump, tank heaters, slides, etc....
Heads up display with mini-trackball control of all systems.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Hmm...Thinking. The easiest way would be to setup an RV network of small devices to control each item. The network could either be wired (CAN) or wireless (WiFi, Bluetooth, or Z-Wave)--obviously wireless would be slightly easier. Then you'd just need the main controller by the driver. Personally I'm not sure I'd need any of those controls on a HUD as none of them really impact driving (like say driving directions would). A smartphone and/or tablet interface may be good enough. The smartphone/tablet interface would also provide the ability to control everything from outside the unit as well.

(I'm saying a network because the refer control point will be at the refer and not at the main panel, and some other items like the use/store switch are also remote.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #10

THOR #908
nah, I'm old school. I like hardwired. More stable and reliable.
and simple toggle switches will do.....