Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: New York
THOR #7582
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Futz they want the old one shipped back to destroy it. I was going to use it on a test fire. Most people (including me) have never actually used a fire extinguisher. I was going to practice.
I've used the dry powder type extinguishers many times on all kinds of fires, car fires, kitchen fires, brush fires, mattress fires etc. They're disappointing. They only give you about a 10 second blast and they don't do a lot of good unless you use several of them even on a small fire. With a dry powder extinguisher your goal is to separate the fuel source from oxygen by burying it in powder. One extinguisher is rarely enough. They only work on certain kinds of fires. Attempts to put out propane or gasoline fires are a waste of time and very dangerous. Extinguishers also make a really big mess. Even when you think it's out it will very often re-ignite. If you don't use it right it will actually spread the fire. I keep them both in my home and in my RV mainly because Insurance Companies demand them. I don't expect one lonely fire extinguisher to do a lot of good. If there's a fire in either my home or my RV I will give it that 10 second blast and just get everyone out. Of course, the best way is not to have a fire in the first place. Instead of practicing how to use an extinguisher, I suggest you practice on how to get everyone away from the fire.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #22

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
"call Thor and we will tell you how to call Kidde".
Thor did their part by sending the letter. Kidde is who you would call per the letter. The replacement FE head is still plastic but is designed differently. Fits on same mount.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I could tell from the photo and manufacture date that my extinguisher would be included in the recall but it was not listed in the models covered. Until I noticed mine was a Canadian model and it WAS listed on the recall page for Canada. Alas, I could not submit my claim because Indiana is not in Canada. Argh. But then I started over on the US page and it was accepted for replacement. Wasn’t a five minute process but easy enough.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Once I grabbed the extinguisher from the RV it was a very quick process on the website filling in the forms. Done.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #9846
Got the recall letter, went online and have a new one coming in the mail no CW for me!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 AM   #26

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5554 View Post
I've used the dry powder type extinguishers many times on all kinds of fires, car fires, kitchen fires, brush fires, mattress fires etc. They're disappointing. They only give you about a 10 second blast and they don't do a lot of good unless you use several of them even on a small fire. With a dry powder extinguisher your goal is to separate the fuel source from oxygen by burying it in powder. One extinguisher is rarely enough. They only work on certain kinds of fires. Attempts to put out propane or gasoline fires are a waste of time and very dangerous. Extinguishers also make a really big mess. Even when you think it's out it will very often re-ignite. If you don't use it right it will actually spread the fire. I keep them both in my home and in my RV mainly because Insurance Companies demand them. I don't expect one lonely fire extinguisher to do a lot of good. If there's a fire in either my home or my RV I will give it that 10 second blast and just get everyone out. Of course, the best way is not to have a fire in the first place. Instead of practicing how to use an extinguisher, I suggest you practice on how to get everyone away from the fire.
There is nothing like practice. In a past life I had to qualify with dry chemical extinguishers once a year. The safety guys filled an 8 foot square concrete pit with diesel and lit it on fire. Each person then had to put the fire out with a 20 pound extinguisher. You learned that it wasn’t easy to put it out, and after the first year you learned to be one of the first in line. By the time they got to the the last people, that pit was really hot and the hot diesel did not want to go out. 64 square ft of burning diesel puts out a whole lot of heat, which just started to let you know what a real refinery fire could be like. The real fire brigade went to fire school in Reno where they had to fight life size fires.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Got our new one a few weeks ago and returned the old one.

Today I grab it to put in the coach and the safety pin falls completely out. Hmm perhaps my new one will also be recalled?? (I grabbed a binder clip and am using that to hold the safety pin in--it is tight enough to hold the pin in but not too tight that it won't come off in an emergency).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Got our new one a few weeks ago and returned the old one.

Today I grab it to put in the coach and the safety pin falls completely out. Hmm perhaps my new one will also be recalled?? (I grabbed a binder clip and am using that to hold the safety pin in--it is tight enough to hold the pin in but not too tight that it won't come off in an emergency).
My old one did not even have a safety pin. The new one they sent did.