Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #1

Brand: Keystone
Model: 291TG
State: Florida
THOR #6459
Thor Sprinter 13500k BTU AC

I am looking for some first hand information from owners of a Sprinter MH from Thor on the air conditioner. Do you have any issues with the cooling capicity and heating with the heat pump model? I live in Florida and I am glad I have a 15000k BTU unit in my present TT. I am looking at the Synergy by Thor and the 15000k AC is not a option. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
While living in Florida, in my fifth wheel, I had a 15k ducted and a 13.5k dedicated to the bedroom. In the sun, it was just enough. Shade helps. Now in my Thor 22e Motorhome, with only a 13.5, my experience is that it is marginal during the day if you are setting in the sun, but will freeze you out at night. I know this is all subjective to the individual, but should I need to replace the ac, in goes a 15k.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buppa View Post

.....cut.... I am looking at the Synergy by Thor and the 15000k AC is not a option. Thanks.

Information to consider:

This A/C size limitation may be in part because the Sprinter Synergy can be ordered with diesel generator, which is rated at only 3,200 watts if I recall correctly.

I know this doesn't help you, but may explain why Thor doesn't offer the 15,000 in this coach.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

THOR #6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
While living in Florida, in my fifth wheel, I had a 15k ducted and a 13.5k dedicated to the bedroom. In the sun, it was just enough. Shade helps. Now in my Thor 22e Motorhome, with only a 13.5, my experience is that it is marginal during the day if you are setting in the sun, but will freeze you out at night. I know this is all subjective to the individual, but should I need to replace the ac, in goes a 15k.

Thanks, for the information. As you know the summers in Florida can be brutal, but I can deal with it. I also thought about when the 13.5k AC goes replace it with the 15k. The post after yours (Chance) said that it may only come with a 13.5 because they offer the diesel generator and it is 3200 watts the LP is 3600 watts. So Thor just offers 13.5k AC to be safe on load coverage. Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

THOR #6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Information to consider:

This A/C size limitation may be in part because the Sprinter Synergy can be ordered with diesel generator, which is rated at only 3,200 watts if I recall correctly.

I know this doesn't help you, but may explain why Thor doesn't offer the 15,000 in this coach.

Your right on the diesel generator which I think I want. What are your thoughts on 3.2 generator running a 15k AC?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Nah, Thor was just being "economical". You still have enough to drop a 15k air in there. Just turn off the coffee pot, the waffle iron, and the water heater when it starts.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #7

THOR #6459
Thor Sprinter 13500k BTU AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Nah, Thor was just being "economical". You still have enough to drop a 15k air in there. Just turn off the coffee pot, the waffle iron, and the water heater when it starts.

Yeah maybe on trying to be economical, but why not offer the 15k as a option?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My 2 cents .....

Quote:
Your right on the diesel generator which I think I want. What are your thoughts on 3.2 generator running a 15k AC?

Like you I'd also prefer the diesel generator over the propane because refilling fuel supply is so much easier. Unfortunately the diesel generator puts out a little less power.

Regarding A/C choice, Onan makes reference in the 3,200-Watt diesel generator specifications (see attachment below) to it being able to run a 13,500 BTU/hr A/C with some reasonable excess power, but it's not enough to run an average microwave, many coffee makers, or high-capacity hair dryer. If Thor installed a larger A/C and owners had to turn it off every time they wanted to run an appliance, I'd guess they may get complaints.

All A/Cs are not the same efficiency, and the best I'm aware of in the 15,000 size range pulls just over 13 Amps (1,400 watts) under standard conditions, but it goes much higher in desert conditions -- closer to 16 Amps. The generator is rated at 26+ Amps but must be derated for elevation and high temperature extremes.

I'd have to guess that Onan and Thor engineers size these units so they can operate under the worse conditions to prevent problems. Even so, owners report problems occassionally so they must not be playing it way too safe.

As to heat pumps, I'm not a fan of them unless you are a full timer and pay for your electric power bill directly. If at a campground I'd use electric heat, and if off the grid I'd use propane for heat. For me a heat pump wouldn't accomplish enough to make it worth the cost or added complexity. Having said that, it's a much more efficient technology for heating in mild weather using electricity, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	3922  
Old 02-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #9

THOR #6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Like you I'd also prefer the diesel generator over the propane because refilling fuel supply is so much easier. Unfortunately the diesel generator puts out a little less power.

Regarding A/C choice, Onan makes reference in the 3,200-Watt diesel generator specifications (see attachment below) to it being able to run a 13,500 BTU/hr A/C with some reasonable excess power, but it's not enough to run an average microwave, many coffee makers, or high-capacity hair dryer. If Thor installed a larger A/C and owners had to turn it off every time they wanted to run an appliance, I'd guess they may get complaints.

All A/Cs are not the same efficiency, and the best I'm aware of in the 15,000 size range pulls just over 13 Amps (1,400 watts) under standard conditions, but it goes much higher in desert conditions -- closer to 16 Amps. The generator is rated at 26+ Amps but must be derated for elevation and high temperature extremes.

I'd have to guess that Onan and Thor engineers size these units so they can operate under the worse conditions to prevent problems. Even so, owners report problems occassionally so they must not be playing it way too safe.

As to heat pumps, I'm not a fan of them unless you are a full timer and pay for your electric power bill directly. If at a campground I'd use electric heat, and if off the grid I'd use propane for heat. For me a heat pump wouldn't accomplish enough to make it worth the cost or added complexity. Having said that, it's a much more efficient technology for heating in mild weather using electricity, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for your time and research good stuff!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #10

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Quote:
I am looking for some first hand information from owners of a Sprinter MH from Thor on the air conditioner. Do you have any issues with the cooling capicity and heating with the heat pump model? I live in Florida and I am glad I have a 15000k BTU unit in my present TT. I am looking at the Synergy by Thor and the 15000k AC is not a option. Thanks.
We have a 2016 Synergy with just the roof A/C and it seemed to do OK on cooling when we went through Nevada and southern Utah last summer (90-105 deg F). These do not appear to be well insulated coaches and the coach A/C was definitely needed while driving. The front cab-over ducts were worthless as far as air flow and the dealer had to modify the ductwork and add new vents in order to get some air movement into that area. To aid in the cooling be sure to pull down the window blinds and cover/block the roof skylights while driving and do the same for the cab windows and windshield when parked. It does take time to cool down but when it does the interior seems to be comfortable enough for us.

By the way, we have the propane generator and haven't regretted that at all. We haven't boondocked that much and have had no problems finding propane anywhere along our travels.
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote