Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 02:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Florida
THOR #11770
Thor warranty

We have a 2018 Axis 24.1 and are in Elkhart trying to get some issues resolved. The Factory is booked until Mid August, but they are trying to help us. Customer Service told us this morning that we have 90 days to get adjustments, trim and caulking insde and out done—Our dealer never informed us of that ......
After the Factory tour yesterday, we found out most of all Thor Parts are Outsourced Including Taiwan, and just assembled in Elkhart. I also asked about the Q.A. At the completion. The tour guide said yes they have it. I wanted to inform him, how poor our Axis was built. No Q.A. Done there. Before you consider Thor, you need to do some serious thought and research.
We are replacing our Couch and “King” matress this week as they both are very uncomfortable. I can’t understand why They can’t put decent furniture in a Coach they ask 90k for.
We’re trying to be optimistic, but time will tell. Good Luck

Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brnwaterbill View Post
We have a 2018 Axis 24.1 and are in Elkhart trying to get some issues resolved. The Factory is booked until Mid August, but they are trying to help us. Customer Service told us this morning that we have 90 days to get adjustments, trim and caulking insde and out done—Our dealer never informed us of that ......
After the Factory tour yesterday, we found out most of all Thor Parts are Outsourced Including Taiwan, and just assembled in Elkhart. I also asked about the Q.A. At the completion. The tour guide said yes they have it. I wanted to inform him, how poor our Axis was built. No Q.A. Done there. Before you consider Thor, you need to do some serious thought and research.
We are replacing our Couch and “King” matress this week as they both are very uncomfortable. I can’t understand why They can’t put decent furniture in a Coach they ask 90k for.
Not unusual for outsourced parts and at least some of them are made in the USA. Just for discussion, the rear air conditioner condenser on our GMC Acadia was made in Brazil, replaced it twice.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:36 AM   #3

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brnwaterbill View Post

You are correct, QA pretty much does not exist from them.
If your thinking of buying from another manufacturer do your homework and you will find THOR owns most of the competition out there. If not now, they did before unloading them. ENJOY The homework info listed.

History[edit]
Thor Industries, Inc. was founded on August 29, 1980, when Wade F. B. Thompson and Peter Busch Orthwein acquired Airstream. The name "Thor" combined the first two letters of each entrepreneur's name. Despite its image, Airstream had not fared well during the economic downturn of the late-1970s. By focusing on improving quality while reducing costs, Airstream returned to profitability in its first year under the new Thor management.
In 1982, Thor purchased the Canadian company, General Coach, which manufactures travel trailers and motorhomes. Also part of this acquisition was Thor America, which manufactures Citation and Chateau travel trailers and fifth wheels.
In 1984, Thor became a public company and in 1986 was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. That same year, Forbes magazine ranked Thor sixth out of the "200 best small companies in America."[2]
In 1991, Thor acquired Dutchmen, a brand of fifth wheel and conventional travel trailers. Four Winds International, manufacturer of class A and C motorhomes, was acquired in 1992. Komfort, a maker of fifth-wheel and conventional travel trailers, and Skamper, a builder of folding camping trailers, became members of the Thor family in 1995.
1996 saw the start up of Thor California and the introduction of the Tahoe and Wanderer brands of trailers and fifth wheels. These products became instant hits among the recreational vehicle (RV) community and the fastest-growing brands on the market.[citation needed]
With the acquisition of Keystone RV in 2001, Damon RV in 2003, and CrossRoads RV in 2004, Thor Industries became the largest RV manufacturer.[3]
In September 2010, Thor Industries' subsidiaries Damon Motor Coach and Four Winds International merged to form Thor Motor Coach. THOR Motor Coach has become the top retail selling motorhome manufacturer in North America.[4] Thor Motor Coach produces several brands of Diesel Pushers, Class A, Class B Plus, Class C Motorhomes that are distributed in the Italy, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, India, Japan, Canada, and the United States.
Thor announced its acquisition of Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC, a privately held RV manufacturer based in Elkhart, Indiana, for $100 million in cash and 4,300,000 shares of Thor Industries, Inc. common stock, subject to adjustment on September 17, 2010. The acquisition, Thor’s first major purchase since 2005 and just two weeks after its 30th anniversary, was rumored for several days.
In May 2013, Thor sold its ambulance manufacturing company, SJC Industries, to Allied Specialty Vehicles, including the McCoy Miller and Marque brands.[5] In August 2013, Thor announced the sale of its bus businesses to ASV as well.[6] Until that time, Thor had been the largest mid-size bus manufacturer, having acquired ElDorado Motor Corp., National Coach, Champion Bus, Heartland and Goshen Coach companies between 1988 and 2012.[7]
In July 2016, Thor purchased Jayco, Inc for $576 million.[8]

NOTE: Check this and you will know why there is no QA.

Like several other firms in the industry, Thor offers employee incentives based on productivity, with reductions in bonuses based on warranty work.
Thor encourages employees to be actively involved in community programs and Thor executives serve on the boards of numerous civic organizations.[citation needed]
Subsidiaries[edit]
Recreation vehicles
• Airstream
• Bison Coach
• Breckenridge
• CrossRoads RV
• Cruiser RV
• Dutchmen RV
• DRV
• Entegra
• Heartland RV
• Jayco, Inc
• Keystone RV
• KZ RV
• Livin Lite RV
• Redwood RV
• Thor Motor Coach (combined Four Winds International and Damon Motor Coach)
Other
• Postle Aluminum Co.
Former subsidiaries[edit]
Commercial bus unit was sold to Allied Specialty Vehicles, now REV Group in 2013.
• ElDorado National (August 2013)
• Champion Bus Incorporated (August 2013)
• General Coach America, Inc. (August 2013)
• Goshen Coaches (August 2013)
• SJC Industries, along with the McCoy Miller and Marque brands. (May 2013)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #4

THOR #4735
Your warranty does not 'end' in 90 days, it is for the full time it is available, regardless of 'where' you have service/repairs done. But, if you call/contact Thor's service center, tell them your warranty issues, and make a reservation, even if well past your 'deadline' for your warranty, they are still going to make repairs under warranty, since you made the request and put them on notice prior to that. We did this with no issues.

Actually, the Thor service center is the BEST place to have any warranty/repairs made since these are the folks that know your coach the best, and have many years of experience in working with them. While QC at the factory might be lacking on some days, let the Service center take care of your needs. A few days 'vacation' at the service center is well worth the time and the drive!

she's for sale, now, but wants to keep TRAVELING!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
I disagree that Thor knows our coaches best. Called yesterday to get som help trying to figure out where the power cane from fo my seemingly dead furnace. The tech in the phone krpt telling me to check things that don't exist on my Quantum. She kept insisting items such as the refer, and ither layout items were in other locations than where they physixally are.

After considerable time with her, she informed me she could no longer help me try to diagnose my issue, as i was out of warranty....by 16 days. Huh?

Have a mobil tech coming out today. Hope he can figure out my dead furnace, with no power.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bill,
Sorry to hear that your new Axis wasn't built with any apparent quality control measures taken...
(Our Outlaw also didn't seem to get too close to the QC guys either! )
Once you get things beaten properly into shape: things start looking better, and your experiences with the rig will start to improve...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

THOR #4735
probably just a simple blown fuse...
Old 05-31-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Isn't there a breaker in the furnace--I remember seeing that somewhere on the forums here.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Actually, the Thor service center is the BEST place to have any warranty/repairs made since these are the folks that know your coach the best, and have many years of experience in working with them. While QC at the factory might be lacking on some days, let the Service center take care of your needs. A few days 'vacation' at the service center is well worth the time and the drive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
I disagree that Thor knows our coaches best. Called yesterday ...
The comment about knowing the coaches best was the Thor Service Center... and I continue to hear good things from people that TAKE their coaches there. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if needed - though I am not as close to them as I once was.

Not the same as the the call in techs - though some have had good luck with them as well - not as universal in experience.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

THOR #7419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Isn't there a breaker in the furnace--I remember seeing that somewhere on the forums here.
I found a reset button on the furnace and worked that a couple times. Trying to find out if there's a fuse or breaker for the power to the furnace. Thor was no help in trying to locate.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #11

THOR #4735
your furnace works on a 12v fuse, found in your fuse panel
it is not a 120v item or connected thru your breaker box
Old 05-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #12

THOR #7419
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
your furnace works on a 12v fuse, found in your fuse panel
it is not a 120v item or connected thru your breaker box
I've cheched the fuses in the box. All are OK. None is labled for the furnace. Trying to figure out where any other fuses may be other than in the main box.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
It will be a high amperage fuse like the one for the slides. The 30,000 btu furnace blower draws 22 amps @14 volts.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #14

Model: 34J
THOR #8707
90 days is correct for any sealants and adjustment. That doesnt include any physical parts needed, parts are covered under the 1 yr limited warranty.

Roof sealants, sealants around windows, door or body panels are only covered for 90 days.

I got to know the local mobile Thor tech/field rep as i had several issue they helped get corrected on my 2017 Windsport. He stated the sealants should be checked and resealed on an annual basis at the minimum. Dicor for the roof and clear Silicone for the windows and body seams. Get handy with a caulking gun and you wont have any issues.

Stay in contact with Thor directly if you have to go to a dealer for issues. They can be very helpful when a dealer is not.

P.S. My dealer did not advise of the 90 day warranty either. I found out later from Thor.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #15

THOR #7419
Finally got through to someone who knew something. It a 15a marked Appliance. Verified power to the unit. Still a no go. Waiting for the mobile tech to show. Problem appears to be above my pay grade.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #16

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Had a problem with my furnace, would not start at times or would shutdown in mid cycle. Found the 4 pin power plug for the furnace was not making good contact, even when snapped together. If you have a voltmeter you can find where you are loosing power.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #17

THOR #7419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Had a problem with my furnace, would not start at times or would shutdown in mid cycle. Found the 4 pin power plug for the furnace was not making good contact, even when snapped together. If you have a voltmeter you can find where you are loosing power.
Had the tech out yesterday. I had verified power to the unit. Found the circuit board to be toast. (16 days past Thor Warranty) Replaced with new USA made board with a 3 year warranty. All is well again.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #18

THOR #6872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Bill,
Sorry to hear that your new Axis wasn't built with any apparent quality control measures taken...
(Our Outlaw also didn't seem to get too close to the QC guys either! )
Once you get things beaten properly into shape: things start looking better, and your experiences with the rig will start to improve...
My friend, this is why I will NEVER purchase a new RV. Let someone else take it through the warranty process and let me enjoy camping.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We have had coaches from multiple manufacturers and on all of them it took a couple of months to work out the bugs. We knew that going in and will only rely on the warranty for the 'big' stuff. That being said, no manufacturer makes all of the sub systems that go into a modern RV. It would be too expensive.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Every manufacturer has problems and Thor is no exception. If you go on the forms for other brand, even high dollar one, you’ll see the same problems repeated there. Quality for the industry as a whole is very poor and the manufacturers have no reason to improve since they’re still selling everything thing they build! If something happened to the RV industry like what happened to Detroit, then quality would improve, I don’t look for that to happen, ever!