Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Thor warranty

My experience with THOR is the same, their new vehicle warranty is absolutely worthless. My RV has been in the shop over 8 months the first year and is riddled with electrical problems, slide problems, leveler problems, the list is endless.

I get so sick of people with some problem like muffler bearings getting greased, coming on here and raving about THOR Warranty service. I have had major breakdowns in far away cities, and the THOR dealer said since I didn't buy it there, 2 months wait for service. THOR was, and never has been any help whatsoever. Best they could 'suggest' was I find an independent to make the repair, pay them myself, and submit the charge to THOR for 'consideration' of reimbursement. Worthless warranty. The people at THOR are Midwest polite, but when the rubber meets the road, getting them to actually agree to fix a major problem, it AINT going to happen.

It's a good thing to have a lawyer in the family if you own a THOR. The only thing they respond to is lawsuits.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #22

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior30 View Post
I spoke with a gentleman with customer service department at Thor motorcoach who said that they consider the discoloration/oxidation of the front cap to be sun fading and the warranty does not cover sun fading. He said the issue was due to lack of maintenance on my and the dealers part. He said it sat on their lot for one year and then I owned if for a year. Which I did attempt to wax it quite a few times when I first got it with no luck.

I have a Lexus that is almost 10 years old and the dash and door panels were fading. I brought it to the dealer for an unrelated item and he noticed it and said it was under warranty. Lexus replaced all my interior dash and door panels at no charge on an older vehicle. That is customer service and Lexus has a customer for life because of it.

For Thor to say that the paint on the exterior of the coach cannot be exposed to sunlight and if it fades because of the sun it's not under warranty is absolutely ludicrous. Sorry if I keep beating a dead horse but I'm astonished with what they can get away with.
I believe you will find that the cap is fiberglass with gelcoat. It is the same with fiberglass boats. Manufacturers normally don't warranty oxidation to fiberglass. It is a real problem.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 AM   #23

Model: Thor Axis
State: New Mexico
THOR #4918
We feel your pain. We bought our new 2016 Thor Axis in late July. Traded in our Jayco travel trailer. Have owned Thor for 74 days and has been in the shop for over 44 days. Less than 3 weeks after we got it home the AC went out. Part was shipped wrong twice, finally got the right part shipped to the dealer. We got it back this last Saturday and as soon as we got it home the AC started blowing hot air. We never even loaded it with anything, except the insurance card and registration. Over the last 2.5 months we had planned 3 trips and all got cancelled, since our RV was in the shop. We met with dealer on Monday and told them we wanted our money back. They essentially agreed and said they would contact Thor. We had already been working with Thor customer service. They were pretty helpful initially then last week they wouldn't return our calls. What a nightmare this has been. They called today again saying they know what problem is and they just want us to give it another try. We said no. We just want our money back. I believe under the lemon law we have a good case. What a mess.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:00 AM   #24

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
We feel your pain. We bought our new 2016 Thor Axis in late July. Traded in our Jayco travel trailer. Have owned Thor for 74 days and has been in the shop for over 44 days. Less than 3 weeks after we got it home the AC went out. Part was shipped wrong twice, finally got the right part shipped to the dealer. We got it back this last Saturday and as soon as we got it home the AC started blowing hot air. We never even loaded it with anything, except the insurance card and registration. Over the last 2.5 months we had planned 3 trips and all got cancelled, since our RV was in the shop. We met with dealer on Monday and told them we wanted our money back. They essentially agreed and said they would contact Thor. We had already been working with Thor customer service. They were pretty helpful initially then last week they wouldn't return our calls. What a nightmare this has been. They called today again saying they know what problem is and they just want us to give it another try. We said no. We just want our money back. I believe under the lemon law we have a good case. What a mess.
Why did you leave your new motorhome at the dealer? I have never left it for a warranty repair. When they get the part(s) in, I make any appointment and get it fixed that day.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #25

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Reimbursement

It's going to be a cold day in hell if THOR agrees to a refund. If you have a lemon law case, file now, don't wait a day longer.

THOR apparently cares nothing about "Customers for life". One and done with me.

I think THOR, with their huge market share, combined with their shoddy products, and refusal to stand behind them, does more to turn off, and drive people away from camping, than buy into it every year. One of the main reasons the RV industry is stagnant in true growth.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #26

Model: Thor Axis
State: New Mexico
THOR #4918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Why did you leave your new motorhome at the dealer? I have never left it for a warranty repair. When they get the part(s) in, I make any appointment and get it fixed that day.
The first time we left it was so they could diagnose the problem and determine what had to be fixed. They did, got approval and part was shipped. Was supposed to all be done within a week. So I planned our first trip. Then they got the wrong part. So they shipped it again overnight and guess what it was wrong again. Then they couldn't find a part. TOld us it would take a week or so. I was out of town and my wife didn't have anyone that would go get it, plus the AC didn't work, so what was the sense. They finally got part in, but then it took them a week to put it in even though they promised to work on it immediately.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #27

THOR #3952
I don't know what the issue was with the AC but these units are disposable meaning they don't have many parts that are economical to replace. You just put a new one on and I'm sure the dealers cost is a lot lower than what we pay. I just installed a second AC in the bedroom and paid only 550 at Camping World and installed it in less than 2 hours by myself.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If folks would read their warranty they would see where Thor is on a 20 day clock for any repair that the owner (not Thor) feels significantly impairs the use, safety or value of their motor home. That 20 day clock starts the minute the coach is dropped off at the dealer for its warranty appointment. If you take the coach home before the repair is complete the 20 day clock resets because you, through your actions, have displayed that the coach is safe and can be used.

It is my experience that most dealers will close a service invoice if a coach is not physically on their lot while awaiting repairs. In many cases this is due to their insurance requirements because their insurance carrier will not be held responsible for damage to a coach that is not in their holding lot.

Bottom line, if owners complied with the provisions of the warranty and took the actions specified they might find their experience a little more enjoyable.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #29

THOR #5639
Thor Windsport 34J

I've had my Thor for just over a year. Ibought it brand new and I've come to the realization that ALL brand new campers are going to have some maintenance/warranty work to do. Mine has been in and out of the shop 4 or 5 times this first year for small things, but mainly cause I wanted to get it done in the first year and not chance it on the extended warranty.
The only big thing I've had done is, they had to reseal the entire slide out that goes the length of my entire camper because they said it had been installed improperly. "How is the factory installing a slide out seal improperly?". Anyway, I've been happy with my camper and I realize that the extended warranty period that I am in now really only convers major items even though my extended warranty is costing me 7k. I have found that whatever issue I have now (unless huge) I'm probably just going to fix myself, there seems to be lots of reference material online for and youtube videos for these things.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I've had my Thor for just over a year. Ibought it brand new and I've come to the realization that ALL brand new campers are going to have some maintenance/warranty work to do. Mine has been in and out of the shop 4 or 5 times this first year for small things, but mainly cause I wanted to get it done in the first year and not chance it on the extended warranty.
The only big thing I've had done is, they had to reseal the entire slide out that goes the length of my entire camper because they said it had been installed improperly. "How is the factory installing a slide out seal improperly?". Anyway, I've been happy with my camper and I realize that the extended warranty period that I am in now really only convers major items even though my extended warranty is costing me 7k. I have found that whatever issue I have now (unless huge) I'm probably just going to fix myself, there seems to be lots of reference material online for and youtube videos for these things.
Wow! Read your "extended warranty" carefully... you may be able to cancel it and get most of your money back...I did on my previous coach. Remember, the "Ford" part of your motorhome is warranted much longer than one year. Look into other extended warranties such as offered by Good Sam. 7k is way too much to pay for an extended warranty in my opinion. I think I paid $2,500 or less for my extended warranty when I bought our Ace. And yes, it only covers major items.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:25 AM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Wow! Read your "extended warranty" carefully... you may be able to cancel it and get most of your money back...I did on my previous coach. Remember, the "Ford" part of your motorhome is warranted much longer than one year. Look into other extended warranties such as offered by Good Sam. 7k is way too much to pay for an extended warranty in my opinion. I think I paid $2,500 or less for my extended warranty when I bought our Ace. And yes, it only covers major items.
Believe it or not, our salesman actually talked us out of purchasing the extended warranty (at least $7000 also), and I'm glad he did. Whatever is going to go wrong, will probably do so in the first year and be covered under new vehicle warranty. We are certainly hoping this is the case, that is.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
I think part of the problem of having a dealer as a go between on a warranty issue, is that you are anticipating that your dealer is actually in your corner. Personally, from what I have read, there are more complaints about dealers than there are about manufacturers. This may be because the dealer has to justify many warranty issue to the manufacturer.

Our 2014 Siesta is brand new to us, as of this past July. And it also sat on the dealers lot for over a year. This is our 3rd RV, all from the same, in the past, customer focused dealer. The 1st was a '94 Fleetwood Montara followed by a '06 Jayco 5th wheel. I can say that neither one of them had any issues even nearly approaching those on the Thor. The build quality of the Thor definitely reflects a "we just build them to make a paycheck" attitude. There does not appear to be any pride that goes into the units, and having been in the Corporate world, I know that this attitude normally trickles down from the top.

One of my items was the weathering of the front cap. Thor did not even blink when I requested to have the cap polished. But then, I have read that this issue may be related to the color(s) of the caps and the only way to remedy this is to have them painted.

I'm scheduled to pick up my RV this coming Friday, from the Thor Service Center. I live about 1 hour away. So I will see how they did on my roughly 18 point list of issues to correct. The Service Center seems as if they may actually care about customers. Time will tell.

In closing, our used to be, Customer Focused dealer, is no longer Customer Focused. Maybe they have just gotten too big, despite still being Family owned. Despite claims of doing full inspections of all units they sell, our dealer obviously did no such thing. I think the person that was going over our coach, when we took delivery of it, was rather embarrassed with the number of things wrong with it. We decided to go to the source, Thor, to have the warranty issues addressed and not rely on the dealer to resolve these issues.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #33

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Our last rv was a Cougar 5th wheel and the converter went out when we were living in it while our house was being built. We ended up buying a new one while they had to send in the old one, it took months for the other one to come back. So now we still have a converter in a box. This is the way all rv repair seems to be handled, as in very slow. In the past 15 yrs there are a lot more rvs being sold but it seems no more repair facilities to take care often all. The local dealer has added to their shop twice and still can't keep up.

Our Cougar's front cap faded within the first year also and they wouldn't do anything about it either. I think they have always faded but for years they were just white and unnoticeable. If you wax it with marine polish the color will come back, it will never be shiny like new but it will look better.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #34

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinek.steve View Post
Snip:
There does not appear to be any pride that goes into the units, and having been in the Corporate world, I know that this attitude normally trickles down from the top.
You are correct. I think the RV industry could use some schooling on Total Quality Management by Edwards Deming.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #35

Model: Windsport 34j
State: Iowa
THOR #5651
Yes, the RV industry could use some lessons in consumer satisfaction! We are new to the RV world. Purchased a Jayco class C and could only get satisfaction from the manufacturer. The dealer was completely worthless. Just for kicks, we went to an RV show and ended up trading our Jayco for our 34J Windsport. Believe me, it has a few quirks, but our dealer has been fabulous. We had a TV with pixel issues. Rather than telling us to go to the TV manufacturer, they simply ordered us a new one provided we supplied our VIN # and a couple of photos of the problem. All other issues we have are small and can wait until we take it in to be winterized. So far we have been very pleased and have the MH that meets our needs. We've also learned when you call Thor and don't get satisfaction, you call again and speak with someone else. Eventually, you will find someone who will help you. ALWAYS ask who you spoke with and get their extension number. That way you will know the next time who to deal with and who you DON'T want to talk to!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #36

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
OP here, I have been waiting to post to give this some time to see what happens. After reading some of the stories here I guess things could be a little worse; although i have another set of issues to deal with upon getting it back.

I am starting to think it a combo between a bad dealer and Thor. I received my RV back and the dealer had polished the front cap for me. They told me it would look better for a while but would eventually fade again. They said they would keep working on Thor.

Well i neglected to do very through walk thru when i got it back, rushing to beat traffic. Upon arriving home i found the dealer had been using my rv bathroom as the workshop toilet. I gave it to them spotless, im quite ocd, with the black tank completely empty and washed out and got it back with the black tank slap full. There were poo streaks in the toilet and pee all over the place. They attempted to clean it with my toilet brush and had poo particles all over the brush. I had to go find a place to dump their 40 gallons of sewerage. They also damaged the wood paneling under the mattress.

I am beyond Pissed at this point. The stuff these people get away with is astonishing. He offered me to bring it back to him, 2 hours away, and leave it with him to clean and a $100 gift card to his way overpriced retail shop. He must be kidding! Id rather spread the word about what he did.

We do like the Rv on the couple short weekend we have actually used it and not been cleaning it , working on it, or waiting for it to get out of the shop. This RV has been a nightmare.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #37

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
That's just terrible to think they not just used your bathroom but left it in that state. Just hard to get people that will respect your property!!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #38
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior30 View Post
OP here, I have been waiting to post to give this some time to see what happens. After reading some of the stories here I guess things could be a little worse; although i have another set of issues to deal with upon getting it back.

I am starting to think it a combo between a bad dealer and Thor. I received my RV back and the dealer had polished the front cap for me. They told me it would look better for a while but would eventually fade again. They said they would keep working on Thor.

Well i neglected to do very through walk thru when i got it back, rushing to beat traffic. Upon arriving home i found the dealer had been using my rv bathroom as the workshop toilet. I gave it to them spotless, im quite ocd, with the black tank completely empty and washed out and got it back with the black tank slap full. There were poo streaks in the toilet and pee all over the place. They attempted to clean it with my toilet brush and had poo particles all over the brush. I had to go find a place to dump their 40 gallons of sewerage. They also damaged the wood paneling under the mattress.

I am beyond Pissed at this point. The stuff these people get away with is astonishing. He offered me to bring it back to him, 2 hours away, and leave it with him to clean and a $100 gift card to his way overpriced retail shop. He must be kidding! Id rather spread the word about what he did.

We do like the Rv on the couple short weekend we have actually used it and not been cleaning it , working on it, or waiting for it to get out of the shop. This RV has been a nightmare.
You might consider posting the experience on RV Service Reviews so others may be fore-warned.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #39

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Using your toilet and filling the black tank while in their shop! OMG....that is probably one of the worse things I have ever heard of a dealer letting happen. I would not let it go that easily. I would call the idiot back and let him know that unless he sent a cleaning crew to where my RV was and completely detailed it inside and out that I would be publishing this story in every RV magazine there is. Sign up for Yelp and other media sites and get a bad review out there on this dealership!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #40

State: Alabama
THOR #4919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
You are correct. I think the RV industry could use some schooling on Total Quality Management by Edwards Deming.
100 % correct. Need to hire some Quality Engineers that might know who Deming is.

I feel like I should know you mcr1010 ?