Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Thumping noise around radio...2016 Hurricane 29M

I have picked up a nasty thumping noise when going over bumps in the 29M. Thanks I-95. I would like to know how to get off the woodgrain panel around or near the radio to get some foam or something in there to deaden the vibration. Any videos on how to do this or advice from anyone that's done it? I have removed the small piece above the speedometer, tach etc. Two little lugs to loosen but the vibration is not there...it's over by the console where the radio, vents AC controls are. Seems like if I apply some good pressure to that woodgrain piece, it improves. Any help on doing this???
GB

Old 06-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
You might be able to pull out the radio (or something else) to access this area and install some insulation or zip ties to hold down what is moving around. Not sure about removing wood grain.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
I have picked up a nasty thumping noise when going over bumps in the 29M. Thanks I-95. I would like to know how to get off the woodgrain panel around or near the radio to get some foam or something in there to deaden the vibration. Any videos on how to do this or advice from anyone that's done it? I have removed the small piece above the speedometer, tach etc. Two little lugs to loosen but the vibration is not there...it's over by the console where the radio, vents AC controls are. Seems like if I apply some good pressure to that woodgrain piece, it improves. Any help on doing this???
GB
Had the same issue on my 2016 hurricane pulled radio out and noticed a bracket at the back of the radio to secure it . the radio has a stud on the back once i put the radio back in and secured it to the bracket with a wing nut thumping was gone of course now i have to remove wing nut off the back of radio to remove it but the silence is golden
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post
Had the same issue on my 2016 hurricane pulled radio out and noticed a bracket at the back of the radio to secure it . the radio has a stud on the back once i put the radio back in and secured it to the bracket with a wing nut thumping was gone of course now i have to remove wing nut off the back of radio to remove it but the silence is golden
Thanks so much for this. Did you have to add any piece when you used the wing nut or did the wing nut just snug up the hardware that was already there? Do you recall the size of the wing nut so I have one on hand for the fix? Again, I appreciate your time with this info.....sounds like it will work and you're right....silence is golden.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #5

THOR #3788
Dont remember the size of wingnut what i did when the radio was out was remove the stud at the back of the radio and headed off to home depot the bracket was already there just have to guide radio in so stud enters bracket was able to access from under dash
thor worker did not have radio in the bracket which caused it bouncing up and down guess that saved 1 wingnut

Richard
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps you just need to turn down the bass response...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #7

THOR #9033
Old 06-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #8

THOR #9033
Quote:
Dont remember the size of wingnut what i did when the radio was out was remove the stud at the back of the radio and headed off to home depot the bracket was already there just have to guide radio in so stud enters bracket was able to access from under dash
thor worker did not have radio in the bracket which caused it bouncing up and down guess that saved 1 wingnut

Richard
Thanks again Richard. I'm going to take a look this aft. I looked at the diagram in the manual and it's supposed to slide into a "sleeve" which is where this stud was to enter I guess.LIke you said, they saved a wing nut. Probably a Friday aft late that day. LOL.
Again, you have been most helpful. I'll let you know.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #9

THOR #3788
Quote:
Thanks again Richard. I'm going to take a look this aft. I looked at the diagram in the manual and it's supposed to slide into a "sleeve" which is where this stud was to enter I guess.LIke you said, they saved a wing nut. Probably a Friday aft late that day. LOL.
Again, you have been most helpful. I'll let you know.
Hey a wingnut saved is like money in the bank
FMCA #F432587
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

THOR #9033
And after all, what would we have done otherwise with those few hours if we didn't get a chance to fix a Thor mistake????
I tried to remove the radio today but didn't have the right tool. I think the one I was using went to the Jensen in the back. I have a little putty knife that should work. I guess you just slide it into the side and push from the back and it should pop out. Hope the wires are long enough to be able to get in there. I think it has a box behind it that the whole thing slides into. I can't quite picture this "stud" but I'll be looking for it and try to tie it down with something...like a missing wing nut. If there's room, I might add some foam around the radio and the box it fits into and maybe add some foam on top of that box sleeve and the dash board above it.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #11

THOR #3788
Your Rv should have come with removal tool you need 2 one on each side of radio radio does sit in a metal box just pull off bezel and slide tool into each side and there should be enough wire remove plug at back the back of box is open and thats where i saw bracket
Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #12

THOR #3788
Here is a you tube on removing radios

https://youtu.be/K6n-VDFKYbA
Old 06-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #13

THOR #9033
Quote:

Great stuff. He did a good job and thanks for aiming me in that direction. GOing to work on it tomorrow. Only thing right now I have any doubts about is that little stub. I'll see it when I pull it out. Just hope I don't futz up the cameras and the other wiring back there. It's worth the effort though because as you know...that noise is not something you want to listen to for hours at a time.
Thanks again...I do really appreciate it.
RT
Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #14

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
If your radio is an Axxera, you should have gotten a pair of these tools in the bottomless pit of manuals, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axxera radio 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	17966  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #15

THOR #9033
HI Ed,
I did but I've seen anything from putty knives to butter knives used to unlatch the locks. That shouldn't be a problem...I've watched a few vids on it. I'm in the dark a little about the stud that sticks out of the radio and apparently fits into the box sleeve in the back....that seems to be the thing that needs to be tightened down. My wife gave me instructions...."be careful." Gee....I never thought of that...that's the same advice I get every time I back into a campground slot.
LOL
Old 06-07-2019, 02:05 AM   #16

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You might be able to pull out the radio (or something else) to access this area and install some insulation or zip ties to hold down what is moving around. Not sure about removing wood grain.
Gave up on pulling the wood grain.Thor told me it's a very sticky adhesive holding that on and it might come off but once it does, it won't stick back on. Just going for tightening up the radio to its sleeve.
Thanks the reply.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #17

THOR #9033
Quote:

Well, got the radio pulled and guess what.....the same guy that didn't work on yours must have not worked on mine either. In other words, I had a missing nut, wing nut, or whatever was supposed to hold that stub into the tab....so I guess the guy didn't want to waste the time putting it on. DIdn't have anything to use since it's metric so off to lowes to find one. FIrst took the stub out of the back so I could find a match. Put the radio back in....had to replug the power cable since they don't give you enough to actually pull out the radio without pulling out the cable, and tightened it up. Haven't given it the bump test yet but that's coming in the next few days. Also checked the 3 cameras to make sure nothing had come undone with them.Thanks for all your help and
NOTE TO THOR.....HAVE YOUR GUYS PUT THAT FRICKIN' NUT IN THE BACK OF THE RADIO SO OWNERS DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS THEMSELVES.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #18

THOR #3788
Quote:
Well, got the radio pulled and guess what.....the same guy that didn't work on yours must have not worked on mine either. In other words, I had a missing nut, wing nut, or whatever was supposed to hold that stub into the tab. DIdn't have anything to use since it's metric so off to lowes to find one. FIrst took the stub out of the back so I could find a match. Put the radio back in....had to replug the power cable since they don't give you enough to actually pull out the radio without pulling out the cable, and tightened it up. Haven't given it the bump test yet but that's coming in the next few days. Also checked the 3 cameras to make sure nothing had come undone with them.Thanks for all your help and
NOTE TO THOR.....HAVE YOUR GUYS PUT THAT FRICKIN' NUT IN THE BACK SO OWNERS DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS THEMSELVES.
Good job
FMCA #F432587
Old 06-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1559929080
Attached Thumbnails