Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,363
THOR #1469
TireMinder TM77 Install

Getting ready to replace an old TPMS system with a new TireMinder TM77 system on our Challenger 37ND.

Questions: for those using TireMinder

Did you use the out of the box signal booster or get the stronger booster from Minder Research?

Where and how did you mount the signal booster and connect to 12VDC?

I will be doing the installation this weekend.
__________________

__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 903
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Getting ready to replace an old TPMS system with a new TireMinder TM77 system on our Challenger 37ND.

Questions: for those using TireMinder

Did you use the out of the box signal booster or get the stronger booster from Minder Research?

Where and how did you mount the signal booster and connect to 12VDC?

I will be doing the installation this weekend.
We used the out of the box booster, but only because we are planning to monitor the JEEP TOAD. Actually the coach monitored all six tires with no issues without the booster..

VEGAS 25.2 here, so only 26.5 feet of coach. We placed the booster on the ceiling of the back storage compartment and wired into the hot lead of the storage compartment's light. That way it is always hot (as long as the STORE/USE in in USE mode)
__________________

__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Getting ready to replace an old TPMS system with a new TireMinder TM77 system on our Challenger 37ND.



Questions: for those using TireMinder



Did you use the out of the box signal booster or get the stronger booster from Minder Research?



Where and how did you mount the signal booster and connect to 12VDC?



I will be doing the installation this weekend.


I see the tire minder system on my 32 ft Class A. I used the signal booster that came with the system wired directly to the battery cutoff switch and attached it to the trailer hitch at the back of the coach per tire minders recommendation. I will be adding a Jeep Wrangler toad this week. Works fine.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport 29x
State: Florida
Posts: 12
THOR #12558
I used the original booster that came in the box. On my 31 foot motorhome I mounted the booster on the drivers side under the rear apron near the hitch and tapped power off a light in a rear storage compartment. I also ran the power for the booster through a toggle switch so I could turn it off the booster if I wasn't towing my dolly/car combo. The switch also allows me to turn the booster off while camping thus turning off the power lite that shines a 3 ft green circle on the ground after dark.
__________________
boblee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,755
THOR #2829
I did the same as Mo_Mike and mounted in the rear drivers side storage compartment on by 32’ Hurricane... wired into hot lead (before switch) of the compartment light. Works fine from there for Wrangler toad.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 318
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Getting ready to replace an old TPMS system with a new TireMinder TM77 system on our Challenger 37ND.



Questions: for those using TireMinder



Did you use the out of the box signal booster or get the stronger booster from Minder Research?



Where and how did you mount the signal booster and connect to 12VDC?



I will be doing the installation this weekend.

I used the booster that came with the unit. Put it by the rear license plate. Ran the wires to the battery. I clip it directly to the batteries. When not in use I disconnect the negative from the battery. I pull a toad with my 32’ class A. Works great.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:54 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 903
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblee52 View Post
I used the original booster that came in the box. On my 31 foot motorhome I mounted the booster on the drivers side under the rear apron near the hitch and tapped power off a light in a rear storage compartment. I also ran the power for the booster through a toggle switch so I could turn it off the booster if I wasn't towing my dolly/car combo. The switch also allows me to turn the booster off while camping thus turning off the power lite that shines a 3 ft green circle on the ground after dark.
I had forgot until I read your post that I put a toggle switch in also. (shows how many times I actually have used it)
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
sage's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
I also just bought a TireMinder system, but went with the Smart version that uses my iPhone, instead of having a separate monitor. I'm wondering what kind of battery life other users are getting for the Bluetooth adapter, which has a rechargeable battery? Can you get a full day's driving on a charge or do you need to recharge or keep it plugged in while you drive?
__________________
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,363
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
I also just bought a TireMinder system, but went with the Smart version that uses my iPhone, instead of having a separate monitor. I'm wondering what kind of battery life other users are getting for the Bluetooth adapter, which has a rechargeable battery? Can you get a full day's driving on a charge or do you need to recharge or keep it plugged in while you drive?
I thought about the "smart version" but decided against it.

When I am driving my phone is on mute or turned off so I am not distracted by needless phone calls or email or text notifications. I have always operated that way and will continue to do so. When my wife is in the coach she is usually distracted by ready the news, texting with folks or talking on the phone and wouldn't see a TPMS warning message if it bit her in the butt. Since I am not aware of states or localities providing warnings by posting "tire hazard ahead" signs I'll stick with the dedicated monitor.

IMHO there is smart and there is safe and in this case I decided to play it safe rather than smart.

As a note; I have a relatively expensive, highly rated, smart thermometer for my grilling and smoking station at home. There are too many times when the bluetooth connection between the thermometer and iPhone app gets dropped. I will risk a dropped connection on a 30.00 Pork Shoulder but will not risk it on a 40K toad or a 100K motorhome.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sage's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 179
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Dave, I can't argue with you about messages and phone calls being a distraction. But my 2016 Vegas doesn't have a built in GPS so I use my iPhone and the CoPilot app. So my phone is sitting on the dash all the time when we are traveling. Given that it made sense to get the Smart phone version of TireMinder. That also will mean that I don't have a second device on my dash, cluttering things up and maybe being a nuisance.

Everybody has their own situation and solutions. There's rarely a one size fits all solution.

Just out of curiosity, is your phone an Apple or an Android? I don't recall the last time I had a Bluetooth drop-out.
__________________
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,363
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Dave, I can't argue with you about messages and phone calls being a distraction. But my 2016 Vegas doesn't have a built in GPS so I use my iPhone and the CoPilot app. So my phone is sitting on the dash all the time when we are traveling. Given that it made sense to get the Smart phone version of TireMinder. That also will mean that I don't have a second device on my dash, cluttering things up and maybe being a nuisance.

Everybody has their own situation and solutions. There's rarely a one size fits all solution.

Just out of curiosity, is your phone an Apple or an Android? I don't recall the last time I had a Bluetooth drop-out.
My phone is an iPhone. I use a Garmin RV GPS so my phone, as stated, goes into ignore mode while driving. It isn't necessarily the bluetooth signal dropping out but rather the particular app being used freezing and not updating or reading the sensors.

Also, again IMHO, with the smart system there is an additional component that comes into play. More components, more points of potential failure. My system goes from sensor through signal booster to TPMS monitor. The Smart system goes from sensor, through signal booster, through bluetooth adapter (which has to be mounted or placed somewhere) to the smart phone.

When I started considering, and decided on TireMinder I looked at the Smart system and said 'Oh Boy, New Toy" then "my", repeat "my" thought process kicked in and I decided to go with the TM77 instead.

To each their own and right now I'm not willing to put a 100K motorhome or 40K toad at risk on a system I am not 90 percent confident will work 100 percent of the time.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:00 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 318
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
My phone is an iPhone. I use a Garmin RV GPS so my phone, as stated, goes into ignore mode while driving. It isn't necessarily the bluetooth signal dropping out but rather the particular app being used freezing and not updating or reading the sensors.



Also, again IMHO, with the smart system there is an additional component that comes into play. More components, more points of potential failure. My system goes from sensor through signal booster to TPMS monitor. The Smart system goes from sensor, through signal booster, through bluetooth adapter (which has to be mounted or placed somewhere) to the smart phone.



When I started considering, and decided on TireMinder I looked at the Smart system and said 'Oh Boy, New Toy" then "my", repeat "my" thought process kicked in and I decided to go with the TM77 instead.



To each their own and right now I'm not willing to put a 100K motorhome or 40K toad at risk on a system I am not 90 percent confident will work 100 percent of the time.


I do the same. My iPhone in stun mode. I use the Garmin for GPS. My wife is really good at navigating. She uses her iPhone. Sometimes we get different directions but some of that is because the Garmin is the RV version. We are in a class A so the Garmin can take you a different way. Doesn’t happen very often.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX
State: Washington
Posts: 11
THOR #11845
Mounted the one from the box underneath the center of the Gemini 24TX motorhome just behind the rear axle with antennas pointing down. Use nylon tie wraps to secure it to an existing bracket. Wired it up into compartment behind the power center and found live 12VDC connection there. Added a lighted switch which I mounted in the adjacent end wall so I can tell when I have it powered on. No issues and I do have sensors on my toad as well.
__________________
John D Hazen
2018 Gemini 24TX
Mercedes 3500 Chassis
hjd3021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,363
THOR #1469
Booster Installation Complete

I installed the booster today. Since my generator is drivers side rear I connected a wire to 12VDC lead coming into the generator from the batteries. I was able to run the wire through an existing electrical grommet and I wrapped the wire with automotive conduit. There was an existing ground on the frame about 3 inches from the generator. I connected a ground wire to that and used it for my switch and the signal booster ground. I then ran a lead from the switch to the booster. Switch on, booster on; switch off, booster off. The switch I installed is a lighted toggle switch. I mounted the booster itself to the underside on my electrical storage compartment frame with the antennas facing down. Installed where it is makes it visible when I am connecting or disconnecting the shore power so I'll remember to turn it on or off when needed.

Working slow it took me about 2 hours to complete the install.

Getting ready to head out on a five day trip so I'll check my tire pressures tomorrow or Tuesday and install the sensors at that time.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Mo_Mike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
Posts: 903
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
My phone is an iPhone. I use a Garmin RV GPS so my phone, as stated, goes into ignore mode while driving. It isn't necessarily the bluetooth signal dropping out but rather the particular app being used freezing and not updating or reading the sensors.

Also, again IMHO, with the smart system there is an additional component that comes into play. More components, more points of potential failure. My system goes from sensor through signal booster to TPMS monitor. The Smart system goes from sensor, through signal booster, through bluetooth adapter (which has to be mounted or placed somewhere) to the smart phone.

When I started considering, and decided on TireMinder I looked at the Smart system and said 'Oh Boy, New Toy" then "my", repeat "my" thought process kicked in and I decided to go with the TM77 instead.

To each their own and right now I'm not willing to put a 100K motorhome or 40K toad at risk on a system I am not 90 percent confident will work 100 percent of the time.
I also went with the "unsmart" TIREMINDER, as there are too many other things running on my phone and instant notifications of something about a tire/wheel is WAY TOO important not to receive...

I also went with the GARMIN RV760 because cell coverage, while good is not as good as satellite. And, I can tie my backup and side cameras into the GPS and have the screen in a better position than the radio.
__________________
Mo_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:27 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,363
THOR #1469
Pics of the Install

Here are pics of the install of the TM 77 Signal Booster

Sorry, even though I rotated all of the pics and saved them they still uploaded 90 degrees counter clock wise.

First connection was ground. The small silver dot in the middle is the ground point that I connected to

Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster Ground.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	19851

Next came connecting to the generator's 12VDC input lug

Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster Power.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	19852

Then installing the switch with 3 leads (12 VDC in, 12 VDC out, and ground)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster Switch.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	19853

Then installing the booster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	19854

Doing it in this manner allowed me to install it without having to run power from a compartment light.

Double click the pic and then click to enlarge and they will display in the correct orientation.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Entegra Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 3,363
THOR #1469
Install complete

Installed and setup all of the sensors on the coach and toad today. With the exception of one small thing this was the smoothest setup I have ever taken on. The small item was my big fingers dropping a lock nut on the inside of a wheel slot. I had to low crawl under the coach to the wheel to retrieve the lock nut.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:17 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 4
THOR #14155
Tpms installation

I have had mine for a few years. On my other motorhome I kept losing connection to one of my sensors so I got the Rhino booster from them. It has worked great since then.
I installed the booster to the under side of my battery compartment with nuts and bolts and ran the wires directly to the house batteries with a fuse inline. It was easy and on the Challenger 37KT it is centrally located front to back and works great.
__________________
CHARLEY6133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
dfh
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 14
THOR #10746
Lost of "false alarms"

I've had the Tire Minder for about 2 years now and have been frustrated with false alarms. Every trip I've taken has resulted in at least 1 false alarm a day, to the point I have just shut the thing off. Leaking, overpressure, underpressure, you name it I've had it. Very aggravating to pull over on an Interstate to check tires and nothing wrong.
__________________
dfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #20
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,755
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh View Post
I've had the Tire Minder for about 2 years now and have been frustrated with false alarms. Every trip I've taken has resulted in at least 1 false alarm a day, to the point I have just shut the thing off. Leaking, overpressure, underpressure, you name it I've had it. Very aggravating to pull over on an Interstate to check tires and nothing wrong.
It took a little bit to learn what was 'normal' and set the tireminder appropriately...
If I use the default of setting to the pressure I am running - the inner rears always alarm for high pressure... So I set them a couple of PSI higher to compensate for my 'normal'... Too high and you will get the underpressure warning starting out.

I think I have a happy system now - and like knowing what is happening - especially on the toad where I doubt I would feel a problem until wayyyy too late.
__________________

__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×