Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Wow, this is extremely disappointing news to hear. I too have had my share of disappointments with Thor quality and their warranty department. They will stand behind small things but I have learned first hand that they will use any loop hole possible to get out covering anything major. I have restrained from posting my displeasure with them on the forums. However, you would think someone would be bending over backwards to take care of a customer with a failure of your magnitude. This is more evidence that they could care less about their customers. I guarantee you that all parties involved are looking for a loop hole. I hope I am wrong and they come though for you. They already know their reputation in the forums but as long they are still selling at a high rate, they do not care.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #22

Model: Vegas
State: Iowa
THOR #2078
Today's news is a bit better. Someone from Thor called and I have to return call. Hopefully someone with more power. Left me pleasant voice mail, but it is almost 5 there now so I will wait until Monday. Just talked to dealer and they have the engine out and disassembled. He said it was harder to get out since on an E-350 platform rather than the RV chassis. Said the cylinder guide disintegrated in one cylinder and then got into the works causing the other problems. They have sent emails and pictures to Ford and are awaiting word back. He is going to send me the same pictures and emails.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
At least your dealer is being very cooperative and including you in the correspondence.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #24

THOR #1478
I am glad your dealer is making some head way on your coach, please continue to keep us posted. I had an alternator replaced on my Axis and the Ford mechanic said it was probably one of the hardest alternator replacement he has ever done. He said it took two of us to get it out. He also told me to be prepared to pay for a lot of labor hours when my warranty is up because a lot of things are hard to access. I wonder what all they had to do for the engine to come out. The mechanic that worked on my Axis mention that the dash would probably need to come out for any major work to be performed.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410
He also told me to be prepared to pay for a lot of labor hours when my warranty is up because a lot of things are hard to access.
Well the V-10 is a pretty reliable engine (the failure of the OP not withstanding) and thus you shouldn't really need a lot of work done (other than oil changes and the occasional spark plug maintenance).
Old 08-08-2015, 12:12 AM   #26

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well the V-10 is a pretty reliable engine (the failure of the OP not withstanding) and thus you shouldn't really need a lot of work done (other than oil changes and the occasional spark plug maintenance).
The mechanic did say the V-10 was very reliable but he also said there were some general maintenance things that are hard to reach compared to some of the other coaches they work on. He also said they hate working on Class A's altogether. He said they had to cut a big hole in the side of the fiberglass one time one a class A to fix the engine and then had to take it to a RV body shop to repair the hole. He said the manufacture of the coach did not know of a way for them to reach that part of the engine. He said it was a very expensive fix. I am starting to see the advantage of class C's but I really don't care for the look of the cab over.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410
The mechanic did say the V-10 was very reliable but he also said there were some general maintenance things that are hard to reach compared to some of the other coaches they work on. He also said they hate working on Class A's altogether. He said they had to cut a big hole in the side of the fiberglass one time one a class A to fix the engine and then had to take it to a RV body shop to repair the hole. He said the manufacture of the coach did not know of a way for them to reach that part of the engine. He said it was a very expensive fix. I am starting to see the advantage of class C's but I really don't care for the look of the cab over.
Like spark plugs! LOL Changing out the spark plugs on any V-10 application is difficult. On the F-Series the passenger rear two plugs are a pain in the #*$% to get to. The E-Series has its own challenges.

From what I saw, however, when I had the doghouse off: If the shop can get the Axis/Vegas up on a lift getting to the plugs from underneath looked like a viable option.
Note how low the engine sits in the following picture:

The spark plugs are well below floor level. I haven't crawled underneath to verify this though.

The pic does show how much work it would be to remove the engine.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
....cut.... I am starting to see the advantage of class C's but I really don't care for the look of the cab over.
I agree -- there are a lot of advantages. Perhaps a large "B+" (I think that's what they are called) may work without having the cab-over bed.

Having a cab area that is designed and finished by a company like Ford certainly has benefits. I particularly like having extra doors, factory HVAC, better access to check/repair engine, and components like windshield, wipers, headlights, etc. that can be purchased/replaced much easier.

I do like the function of the bed over the cab, but feel most are larger than absolutely necessary. The smaller and contoured aero cab-overs like those often used on Sprinter motorhomes would be my preference if I purchased another Class C.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #29

THOR #2078
Diminshed Value

So what affect do you think having a completely rebuilt engine will do to my resale value? Not like it was rebuilt at 10 years....
Old 08-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #30
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Will not make any difference with the low miles on the unit. Now if you had 100,000 miles than it would be in the positive side.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #31

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #1971
Hawkeye sorry about your trouble and thanks for the updates. Keep them coming.

I have been having some concerns about what would happen if we were to have engine trouble on our Axis. It is so hard to get at anything. I also wonder about who would want to work on something so hard to do anything with.

We were at Henderson's Lineup a couple of weeks ago and I raised my concerns. Other than assurance, which I agree with, that the V10 is a very reliable motor, they also said that on a lift things like spark plugs were pretty accessible if the front wheels were removed. They also said that it wouldn't be too hard to find someone to work on it. I hope that is true if work needs to be done.

So far the V10 just purrs along. Just returned from 5244 mile journey to Oregon to see son and daughter-in-law. Great trip. Went through Mt. Ranier National Park and was surprised at how beautiful it was and how few people. It is not a park you hear a lot about, but is well worth the stop if you are in the Washington area.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #1028
The spark plugs are on the top under each coil. Has 10 coils and 10 plugs. Eze to change.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #33

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I agree -- there are a lot of advantages. Perhaps a large "B+" (I think that's what they are called) may work without having the cab-over bed.

Having a cab area that is designed and finished by a company like Ford certainly has benefits. I particularly like having extra doors, factory HVAC, better access to check/repair engine, and components like windshield, wipers, headlights, etc. that can be purchased/replaced much easier.

I do like the function of the bed over the cab, but feel most are larger than absolutely necessary. The smaller and contoured aero cab-overs like those often used on Sprinter motorhomes would be my preference if I purchased another Class C.
We were actually very close to purchasing a B+ prior to going with the Axis for most of the things you mention. We are planning to purchase a Winnebago Forza 34T in a couple of years when DW retires. The Axis is my first motorhome. However, I did own a Coach House Class B camper van that I really loved. I really wanted to stay under 25 feet when I was searching for an RV. However, after spending some time in the Axis, DW has since decided that she wanted something bigger and fell in love with the Forza. I am happy with the size of the Axis but I must keep DW happy. After driving the Forza for a second time, I realize that driving one is not as bad as I thought it would be. I am amazed by the turning ability of the Freight liner chassis. If I had my way, I would purchase another Class B since we are not full timers and probably never will be.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #34

State: Missouri
THOR #1971
Thanks HeavyOwens. Good to know.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #35

State: Georgia
THOR #2902
Hawkeye did this all get resolved to your satisfaction? Buying a new 2016 Axis this week and we are considering buying the Good Sam extended warranty...
Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #36

THOR #2078
Not yet

The engine is fixed but still waiting on the promised engine extended warranty papers. Still some minor coach issues for Thor to address. We have Good Sam road service and they were useless during this episode so I would not hold out much hope on their extended warranty.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:32 PM   #37

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Alternative to Good Sam warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymainecoon View Post
Hawkeye did this all get resolved to your satisfaction? Buying a new 2016 Axis this week and we are considering buying the Good Sam extended warranty...
I would strongly suggest you call Jeff Shelton at Wholesale Warranties before you sign up for Good Sam. I have used him for the last 3 coaches we have had and last year on the previous coach we had a major electrical problem with the Spartan chassis and because the initial diagnosis was corrosion the warranty company was not going to cover any of the $7,000 total. Jeff's staff worked with the warranty company and the Cummins facility that did the work and got the warranty company to send out a rep who inspected the job and the company paid their full share which was over $5,000!

When I was talking to Jeff this Summer about coverage on this coach and I mentioned my electrical problem with the previous coach he pointed out to me that Good Sam excludes electrical problems. However, I have not verified that to see if there is some fine print or whatever.

At any rate I would suggest you give him a call at 1-800-939-2806. It may give you some useful info whether you go with him or not.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #38

THOR #2078
Engine fixed

The engine was replaced by Ford, a new one. They hired a driver to bring it back to us. It really does drive better now, that engine was obviously a problem from the start. Ford gave us an extended warranty on the engine and power train. All in all, Ford was good to deal with.

We had a three minor coach issues to fix. A heater hose that was not connected to an outlet cover, loose outside sheathing on slide and broken legs on the fold out bed. Thor agreed that we could take it to a local non Thor dealer, but it took them 2.5 months to get the right bed legs to the dealer, and only when I kept following up with them. They did not reimburse the dealer for the labor or parts they used they had it stock. So I sent them the bill and said Thor, please send us a check for $201.00. The offered a measly 4 month extended warranty that requires us to give up all our rights under Illinois law and use Indiana law with lawsuit venue in Elkhart County which is really no legal remedy at all. They also want us to agree to confidentiality. Having been an inhouse lawyer for John Deere, I can tell that their lawyer wrote this. I wrote back that it was unacceptable and asked for modifications.

Time will tell I guess.

Meanwhile, we have it safely parked in our driveway for the winter.

We hope to make our trip to the Badlands and Black Hills next summer and I have to start planning!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
We hope to make our trip to the Badlands and Black Hills next summer and I have to start planning!
Oooh! Fun trip. We've been there twice...
I'd recommend the Mt. Rushmore KOA but it depends on what you're looking for in a campground (it can get quite busy and the sites are relatively close but otherwise its a great resort).
Black Hills Lodging | South Dakota Camping | Fun Family Vacations | Palmer Gulch
Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #40

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #1404
Very sorry you had this happen. I'm a fellow Iowan. Might check with Tom Miller, state attorney general. They can help with consumer cases. In addition, I did not the Lemon Law did not cover RVs. I plan on calling to find out why that is the case.

Tags
blown engine, vegas