Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
slide issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego travelers View Post
Goodness! We are contemplating purchasing a Windsport. Not enjoying hearing about the slide out problems, refusing acceptance, and that level of stress trying to get warranty work done. 😱🤔
I can't speak for all RVs. But our full wall slide in the 34.3 bunkhouse model came with 2 tracs. It was supposed to come with the 3TRAX system. Our slide has a lot of weight in it - and powered by the Schwintek electric motor system.

It was remanufactured by the dealer. But it failed repeatedly. The slide was now drifting outward by almost 2 inches during travel - causing us to send it to Thor for a final fix (over 900 miles).

Thor did repairs and sent it back to us. The slide still drifted out as the RV was delivered back to us.

I really don't believe ours was a lemon. I think that the system in ours was just under-engineered for the sheer weight. Thor is not admitting to that, and causing us all kinds of breech of warranty grief - if that helps make your decision.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #42

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Don't slides come with manual braces that would keep them from opening while traveling? Kind of a safety lock?

I don't have a slide nor need/want one, but recall reading on this forum some of you describe a brace for each end of slide that is propped between back side of slide and wall while driving.

Do i recall correctly? Do they work? Would it help here?
ours came with one just need to be careful to remove before opening slide put a label at slide button to remind me to remove

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #43

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Don't slides come with manual braces that would keep them from opening while traveling? Kind of a safety lock?

I don't have a slide nor need/want one, but recall reading on this forum some of you describe a brace for each end of slide that is propped between back side of slide and wall while driving.

Our current coach has one full wall slide, our previous coach had four. I like the extra room when the slides are out, this is the only way to give more room when parked yet still be able to travel.

Some coaches have come with T bar slice locks in the past, kinda rare now. Do they work, yes but they are a PIA to use and if you forget to remove before operating the slide, well it causes problems.

The coaches that have T bar locks usually have a reinforcing plate on the outer wall and the slide corner to prevent damage. I don't think I would use a lock on a coach not designed for it. A lock doesn't fix the problem, it just puts a bandaid on it.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #44

THOR #4636
full slide braces

Quote:

They do not offer the braces any longer. The motor brakes are the only mechanism that keeps it shut. I'm thinking that there were probably many burnt out motors because of people forgetting about them - and that was why they got away from them.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #45
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by laberj45 View Post
They do not offer the braces any longer. The motor brakes are the only mechanism that keeps it shut. I'm thinking that there were probably many burnt out motors because of people forgetting about them - and that was why they got away from them.
That is a total surprise to me. The intent of the slide brace/lock was to manually lock the slide to prevent it from retracting if a slide motor failed and the coach had to be driven in for service. My coach came with 4 slide locks which are 2 different sizes. My bedroom slide is deeper than the living room and kitchen slides.

That, however, does not negate the fact that the slide motors should lock the slide in place and keep it from creeping out when the motors are functioning correctly.

On my prior class c the slide locks were not as fancy as the ones provided by Thor. Forest River gave me some closet handing pole cut to length with a rubber cap on each end. You had to find a good spot to wedge it between the exterior wall and slide and hope it didn't fall out while travelling. Again, it was intended for emergency transport only.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #46
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego travelers View Post
Goodness! We are contemplating purchasing a Windsport. Not enjoying hearing about the slide out problems, refusing acceptance, and that level of stress trying to get warranty work done. 😱🤔
A few key things to set yourself up for a better experience:
  • The dealer - they will make or break your experience AFTER the sale... Price is obviously important, but a dealer that will take care of you after you drive off the lot is priceless - worth as much research as the rig itself. There likely will be some issues you need addressed - though you can minimize that with next item...
  • A thorough PDI - before you sign the final papers - insuring EVERYTHING is as you ordered it and working... Expect to spend hours, not minutes - and try everything... Always easier/quicker to get things fixed when you hold the money.
  • There are a few recurring themes of issues - consider if those features are important to you... You will always find people that say theirs work fine - but will see a large number of issues...
    As an example on my list here are full wall slides... I have slides - 2 smaller ones - like them... would get them again. Had one issue that took me some time to work through to be able to leave a campsite - but personally I would shy away from the full wall versions until they have a better track record.
This isn't the auto industry (they have their issues too - but) - buy with your eyes open - and enjoy your rig!!

I have a Hurricane 32A - cousin of Windsport - and would buy one again.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #47
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
We have a 2018 Windsport 31S and have been happy with the unit. Just understand you are buying a RV not a car and you probably will have some issues for the dealer to fix after your shakedown trip. For us fortunately it was small items like drawers not staying closed, one of two light switches needing to be replaced, nothing that affected our trip. I didn't feel comfortable with a full wall slide but that's a decision you have to make.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #48

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Who is paying for 5 months (and counting) of attorney fees?! I believe I'd just get it cleaned up, take it to a dealer and trade it in on another unit. It'd have to be cheaper and you wouldn't lose a whole year of family camping. It'd be aggravating but obviously so is the route you've chosen. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 AM   #49

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Yeah I get all the legalese... I understand they can make changes. We're not talking about changing colors here or a different stove. I made a good faith purchase based on what they were building, they clearly have made a change and downgraded the product to a lesser product, I got caught in the middle of it and got screwed. The right thing to do would be to make it right... Yes it has an E350 on the fender. No I did catch that at time of deliver. In fact I didn't catch it until our first trip that weekend and my brother pointed it out to me. It clearly looks much like an E450 on the fender. After a year of research and looking at new ones ALL built on E450 chassis it was not on my PDI to check to be sure it was on the correct chassis. Guess maybe someone should add that to the checklist. At least it did come with a V10 so it does go from 0 to 60 in a hurry getting on the highway and coming out of the rest areas.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 AM   #50

THOR #4636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Who is paying for 5 months (and counting) of attorney fees?! I believe I'd just get it cleaned up, take it to a dealer and trade it in on another unit. It'd have to be cheaper and you wouldn't lose a whole year of family camping. It'd be aggravating but obviously so is the route you've chosen. Good luck.
Have you ever heard of anyone going this route? To let a dealer sell you an RV for $117,000 that was incorrectly manufactured and sold to us is just wrong. Adding a recurring slide system that slides out while driving (due to poor diagnosis and repairs from the dealer/Thor) is the type of issue that the consumer has to dig his heals in don't you think? To do anything else, would be insane.

If money wasn't an issue, then I guess I could take a $20,000 hit and think nothing about it. But being who I am - I feel the RV manufacturers and dealerships do need to be held in check when they screw up. That is what I intend to do (and encourage others, in our situation, to do the same).

I'll be honest Pete, I have been tempted to throw in the towel, as we really do miss camping.... I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 AM   #51

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
I have a buddy who refuses to buy any rv with a slide. He buys class A used and they are getting scarce in good condition, but he hates slides. Traveling a lot, he has witnessed many slide problems in campgrounds. I have to admit that with just the wife and me traveling I'm considering a non slide Axis myself or at least a small slide that is easy to move manually if a problem rears its head and that can be left closed and still be usable, such as a dinette or sofa.
Our bedroom slide on the Axis 25.2 went sideways during the PDI. It was repaired immediately (new motor) and has not been a problem since. Yes, I hold the switch when the slide is opened or closed for the extra time (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...) but must admit that each time I open or close the slide a small bit of fear is unavoidable. Will it work this time? So far, so good.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:11 AM   #52

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Texas
THOR #8460
I agree same headaches with Hurricane 35C

I'm taking my 2016 Hurricane 35C out for her maiden voyage after a headache filled journey from Orlando where I purchased to Dallas where I reside. Initially at the dealer they replaced a thermostat, part of the leveling system (I'll go into that later), and various other small flaws. I found on the journey to Dallas there was more levelling problems (to the point one dropped down and was scraping road every time I took a bump), also major leak in the water holding tank which they were supposed to have fixed at the Thor repair center near me (they didn't). Finally thought everything was trip ready after I had two extra batteries, a W/D, a rear sway bar and front stabilizer bar at a repair center near me. Well, the levelling is acting up again, the generator quit, trying to reset the leveler has left me without A/C in the cab. The rear view cam was only working with the generator going, but now seems to have reverted with it's hopefully only temporary demise. The entertainment center has ongoing problems....I never remembered my Dad's Coachman in the 80's having half the problems this POS is giving me. What was supposed to be a fun journey to LA, up to Seattle, and back though Colorado is becoming an ongoing headache. At this point I'm thinking of cutting my loses and getting rid of it.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #53

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I have a buddy who refuses to buy any rv with a slide. He buys class A used and they are getting scarce in good condition, but he hates slides. Traveling a lot, he has witnessed many slide problems in campgrounds. I have to admit that with just the wife and me traveling I'm considering a non slide Axis myself or at least a small slide that is easy to move manually if a problem rears its head and that can be left closed and still be usable, such as a dinette or sofa.
Our bedroom slide on the Axis 25.2 went sideways during the PDI. It was repaired immediately (new motor) and has not been a problem since. Yes, I hold the switch when the slide is opened or closed for the extra time (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...) but must admit that each time I open or close the slide a small bit of fear is unavoidable. Will it work this time? So far, so good.
There are no non-slide Axis to date, and was told by Thor they don't have present plans to introduce one.

I contacted Thor on three different occasions to see if I could special order an Axis 24.1 without the front slide (living/kitchen area would be like your 25.2 which doesn't have a slide) and was told no. The third time was my final attempt, so I've moved on. It's their business and their choice to build whatever they want, and it's my choice to pass on an RV I don't really want.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #54

THOR #4636
Quote:
There are no non-slide Axis to date, and was told by Thor they don't have present plans to introduce one.

I contacted Thor on three different occasions to see if I could special order an Axis 24.1 without the front slide (living/kitchen area would be like your 25.2 which doesn't have a slide) and was told no. The third time was my final attempt, so I've moved on. It's their business and their choice to build whatever they want, and it's my choice to pass on an RV I don't really want.
If I were an RV manufacturer....... I would simplify the slide mechanism and add a manual option. Slides got too big and weighty - and people are left with gigantic slide motoring issues - which can turn into ugly lawsuits like mine.

Lets go back to basics and simplify these thing. Don't make them so long, and add a manual mechanism where the customer can crank it in/out.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:57 AM   #55

THOR #4636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam54 View Post
I'm taking my 2016 Hurricane 35C out for her maiden voyage after a headache filled journey from Orlando where I purchased to Dallas where I reside. Initially at the dealer they replaced a thermostat, part of the leveling system (I'll go into that later), and various other small flaws. I found on the journey to Dallas there was more levelling problems (to the point one dropped down and was scraping road every time I took a bump), also major leak in the water holding tank which they were supposed to have fixed at the Thor repair center near me (they didn't). Finally thought everything was trip ready after I had two extra batteries, a W/D, a rear sway bar and front stabilizer bar at a repair center near me. Well, the levelling is acting up again, the generator quit, trying to reset the leveler has left me without A/C in the cab. The rear view cam was only working with the generator going, but now seems to have reverted with it's hopefully only temporary demise. The entertainment center has ongoing problems....I never remembered my Dad's Coachman in the 80's having half the problems this POS is giving me. What was supposed to be a fun journey to LA, up to Seattle, and back though Colorado is becoming an ongoing headache. At this point I'm thinking of cutting my loses and getting rid of it.
If the leveling system fails..... THEN THEY JUST MIGHT START CALLING THEM STABILIZER JACKS. When my awning leaked like a siv.... The dealer said, "Its a sunshade, not an umbrella Jason....". Don't let them punk you. Hold their feet to the fire!
Old 08-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #56
FEZ

Model: Miramar
State: Ohio
THOR #7381
Okay followers, there have been some additional issues that have come up since I last posted something. Yesterday morning one of my children finally used the shower for the first time since we owned the unit and water came out from underneath the wall where the facet is located. Plus, my wife barely bumped the end of the dinette bench and the upholstered end cap popped loose. We have had it with this unit and as soon as Thor fixes these issues we will be selling our unit (of course at a loss probably). Never again will we look at a Thor product.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #57
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If Thor people read this forum then why do they continue to have worthless cup holders, tv's, and batteries?

PAY ATTENTION THOR!!!
They did change the tv's on the 2018.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #58

THOR #4636
Thor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEZ View Post
Okay followers, there have been some additional issues that have come up since I last posted something. Yesterday morning one of my children finally used the shower for the first time since we owned the unit and water came out from underneath the wall where the facet is located. Plus, my wife barely bumped the end of the dinette bench and the upholstered end cap popped loose. We have had it with this unit and as soon as Thor fixes these issues we will be selling our unit (of course at a loss probably). Never again will we look at a Thor product.
You'll lose lots..... hang in there. Keep good records - and keep pressure on them. Get an attorney if you feel your warrantee has not been honored. thor responded to us pretty quickly when we hired The Consumer Law Group.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #59
FEZ

Model: Miramar
State: Ohio
THOR #7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by laberj45 View Post
You'll lose lots..... hang in there. Keep good records - and keep pressure on them. Get an attorney if you feel your warrantee has not been honored. thor responded to us pretty quickly when we hired The Consumer Law Group.

Thanks for the tip laberj45!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #60

State: South Dakota
THOR #5513
I have a Thor RV and next one will spend more for a quality built RV and make sure dealer has an excellent reputation. Got what we paid for but are still enjoying RV glamping. Learn to fix some things yourself as well