Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Tour of the 2020 Vegas 24.1

Here is a nice tour of the 2020 Vegas 24.1.

Might interest some folks shopping around for a small Class A.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Is $116,925 MSRP still considered a “budget friendly” motorhome for this size and type?

It’s nice but not much new.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

THOR #12231
Yeah really.... but you see the ones advertized for $75K range all the time. So I guess for a A class thats being on a budget?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Pretty sure window MSRP numbers are designed to make buyer feel like they got a great deal when the sale (today only of course) price is +- 70K'ish Simple buyer's rule is; know the street value and that usually falls in the 60% of MSRP range for non-unique builds like most of the major RV manufactures. Sort of like how far into 40% hype, the above street value, are you willing to pay for the new RV causing drool today!
Old 07-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #5

THOR #2121
Assuming motorhomes are marked up about the same percentage, then comparing MSRP is a good approximation of cost differences. Based on that, I’m not sure the Axis/Vegas 24.1 will attract buyers on a tight budget; unless they want a small Class A no matter what.

As an example, the Thor Chateau 25V Class C is a little simpler (less content) but has essentially the same floorplan, and a MSRP of $96,600 which is about $20,000 less.

The Axis/Vegas remains unique as a compact Class A built on an E-Series chassis, but as it moved upscale with more standard content, its pricing doesn’t seem quite as competitive for the budget minded.

I think there is an opportunity for a stripped down Axis or Vegas floorplan, similar in concept to the new offerings from Coachmen. If Thor could offer one option with MSRP back down under $100K it may attract different buyers.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
My buddy has a class c. It works great for him and his wife. The biggest immediately noticeable difference is his rear overhang. The 188" wheelbase of the Vegas helps when towing.

Inside there are a lot of price point differences. I have LED recessed lighting. He has the lighting supplied in my compartments. Our A/C is ducted his is not. I thought outside TV was overkill, turns out it gets most use at night and in cooler weather. He had one tv. We spent $67,500 he spent $50,000 we also have a slide, he does not.

Both units serve their purposes effectively. We are both happy with our selection.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Assuming motorhomes are marked up about the same percentage, then comparing MSRP is a good approximation of cost differences. Based on that, I’m not sure the Axis/Vegas 24.1 will attract buyers on a tight budget; unless they want a small Class A no matter what.

As an example, the Thor Chateau 25V Class C is a little simpler (less content) but has essentially the same floorplan, and a MSRP of $96,600 which is about $20,000 less.

The Axis/Vegas remains unique as a compact Class A built on an E-Series chassis, but as it moved upscale with more standard content, its pricing doesn’t seem quite as competitive for the budget minded.

I think there is an opportunity for a stripped down Axis or Vegas floorplan, similar in concept to the new offerings from Coachmen. If Thor could offer one option with MSRP back down under $100K it may attract different buyers.
We looked HEAVILY at the 25V, because we wanted the twin beds. Nationwide, the absolute best price we saw advertised was $60K; for the 24.1, it was about $73K (for the same model year). While they have "roughly" the same floor plan, comparing side-by-side to the 24.1 results in a crushing defeat for the 25V. It seriously was not even close when comparing feature to feature. It simply became a question for us if we were going to spend $10K-$15K more, and that was a pretty simple question, for us anyway.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
We looked HEAVILY at the 25V, because we wanted the twin beds. Nationwide, the absolute best price we saw advertised was $60K; for the 24.1, it was about $73K (for the same model year). While they have "roughly" the same floor plan, comparing side-by-side to the 24.1 results in a crushing defeat for the 25V. It seriously was not even close when comparing feature to feature. It simply became a question for us if we were going to spend $10K-$15K more, and that was a pretty simple question, for us anyway.
Sounds about right. If discounted about 35%, then the 65% paid on ~ $20,000 difference in MSRP would be about $13,000. For a family on a tight budget that’s a lot of cash.

You make a good point though. If Thor strips down an Axis/Vegas enough to get price to $100k, would any buyers want what was left? Sorry for taking subject in different direction than OP likely intended. It’s just interesting thinking about what it would take to reduce price by roughly $17k.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #9

THOR #15054
Quote:
Sounds about right. If discounted about 35%, then the 65% paid on ~ $20,000 difference in MSRP would be about $13,000. For a family on a tight budget that’s a lot of cash.

You make a good point though. If Thor strips down an Axis/Vegas enough to get price to $100k, would any buyers want what was left? Sorry for taking subject in different direction than OP likely intended. It’s just interesting thinking about what it would take to reduce price by roughly $17k.
Yeah, I'm not sure. If they had taken all of the nicer features out, and sold the new "24.0" model for roughly the same price as the 25V, it STILL might have come in on top, but that's easy for me to say after the fact! The one overriding factor that the 24.1 has over the 25V (or almost ANY class C) is the fact that the cab is a functional part of the living area, where in the class C, it is not. Even if you have dual swivel seats in your class C, the cab sits 6-8 inches below the floor level and you have the bunk bed above that. Almost useless (to us, anyway). With the slide out and both seats swiveled into position, the living room seem monstrous on the Vegas/Axis compared to the 25V.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A couple of things:
The 2020 has flat cabinets meaning the 2018 and 2019 are the only ones with curved cabinet faces(?) .
They've added a battery cutout switch that my 2018 does not have.
The vent on the 2019 2020 generator door is reminiscent of some home made 1963 Conestoga truck cap. Man that s ugly.

I swiveled my seats around last night. I hadn't done it except on the walk through. I have little footstool so my feet didn't dangle. The drivers side wants to fight the steering wheel for my preferred tv position, but only about 10° off makes it work.
I also had my first encounter with the 100 amp breaker in the battery box. The yellow lever is some communist trick, the blue button is pure horsecrap. It's getting changed to something with less parts and moved to the south wall of the step well.

I'll have to say anyone who can't figure that out the maneuvers needed to swivel that drivers seat...

And I'm glad someone is finally acknowledging them as the entry level units they are. I'm sorry a huge percentage of someone's income went toward one when they maybe should not be rv'ing at $100,000+ if budget is an issue...I'm sorrier for their attitude about fit and finish....

(I had often wondered why the 25's, were less than the 24. I didn't know 25's were missing items and luxuries. We looked for only a second at the other axis models and either that wonky folding bed or the dinette clinched the 24 being better for us. I'd hate to rely on a slide for the bed. Malfunction and you're sleeping on the floor. Cold weather must have great affect on a bed hanging out.)

When it's just the two of us the slide is never used. Someone here on the forum prayed for one without a slide and could not understand the concept of 'just ignore that button on the wall'.)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #11

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
A couple of things:
The 2020 has flat cabinets meaning the 2018 and 2019 are the only ones with curved cabinet faces(?) .
They've added a battery cutout switch that my 2018 does not have.
The vent on the 2019 2020 generator door is reminiscent of some home made 1963 Conestoga truck cap. Man that s ugly.

I swiveled my seats around last night. I hadn't done it except on the walk through.
I'll have to say anyone who can't figure that out the maneuvers needed...

And I'm glad someone is finally acknowledging them as the entry level units they are. I'm sorry a huge percentage of someone's income went toward one when they maybe should not be rv'ing at $100,000+ if budget is an issue...I'm sorrier for their attitude about fit and finish....

(I had often wondered why the 25's, were less than the 24. I didn't know it was missing items and luxuries. We looked for only a second at the other axis models and either that wonky folding bed or the dinette clinched the 24 being better for us.
The curved cabinet doors give our Vegas SO much more character, IMO. I wonder why they changed back? Cost, or did they realize there was an issue down the road?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #12

THOR #2121
I was looking at pictures to see if they eliminated curved cabinets in order to make them larger, and noticed an interesting picture indicating this particular 24.1 was built on E-350 chassis rather than an E-450.

Thor specs still show E-450 so this picture may be an error (from a different unit), but I’d check just to make sure if buying a 24.1 and extra GVWR and GCWR are important to you. I recall this came up once before where buyer was quite upset at only getting an E-350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	526D0019-B37E-401E-85DD-6CB6E63A240E.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	19027  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
My $0.02 would be that the flat cabinets cost less but still look similar (more profit for them).

The generator vent is interesting in that I haven't heard of any generator overheating complains with the 24.1--certainly not on here.

As far as the MSRP being over $100k: it does look big until you start talking and realize that the monthly can be quite reasonable (especially when you're only paying 65% of that).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure. If they had taken all of the nicer features out, and sold the new "24.0" model for roughly the same price as the 25V, it STILL might have come in on top, but that's easy for me to say after the fact! The one overriding factor that the 24.1 has over the 25V (or almost ANY class C) is the fact that the cab is a functional part of the living area, where in the class C, it is not. Even if you have dual swivel seats in your class C, the cab sits 6-8 inches below the floor level and you have the bunk bed above that. Almost useless (to us, anyway). With the slide out and both seats swiveled into position, the living room seem monstrous on the Vegas/Axis compared to the 25V.
I agree with you, but feel the poor utilization of the cab seats after swiveling back is by design — or lack of design.

The floor doesn’t have to have a 6- to 8-inch step/drop. In the Chateau 31Y pictured below, it can be seen that cab seats can be made part of living area. But the seats are not integral to the floorplan’s design in my opinion.

In European motorhomes, it’s almost a given that the front seats will swivel back and become part of the living/lounge area, and also double as part of dining area. Their designs have to be more efficient because motorhomes are so much smaller that every inch has to count.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7C6C197-0FAA-414B-9EAC-DE9DF78F1AA9.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	19039  
Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #15

THOR #15054
Quote:
I agree with you, but feel the poor utilization of the cab seats after swiveling back is by design — or lack of design.

The floor doesn’t have to have a 6- to 8-inch step/drop. In the Chateau 31Y pictured below, it can be seen that cab seats can be made part of living area. But the seats are not integral to the floorplan’s design in my opinion.

In European motorhomes, it’s almost a given that the front seats will swivel back and become part of the living/lounge area, and also double as part of dining area. Their designs have to be more efficient because motorhomes are so much smaller that every inch has to count.
That's why I prefaced it with "almost". I know they're are some class C models that felt really spacious, but they were huge! We wanted a smaller unit, one that could easily be driven through towns and easily parked. The 24.1 stood out against the others, at least in the gas engine models. There were some sweet Sprinter series that we loved, but even if we had decided to not overlook the diesel models, I still think our Vegas would have won for us.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #16

THOR #5313
Winnebago makes a Via that is same floorplan as Vegas 24.1. Very nice looking diesel powered unit
One of our freinds has one. It was also more expensive. The limitation for us is GVWR and GCVW. I am not awate of any small diesels over 16,000 GCVWR. Even carrying 55 gal extra water over rear axle extra spares for trailer and racecar the heaviest we have been is 19,000 which is 3000 under GCVW. Driving performance with v10 and 6 speed was no issue, merging and passing no real issue. The e350 chassis shown would not work for us comfortably. The only minor complaints i have is shower size and the 500 lb tongue weight. I am considering getting rear frame strengthened to allow more tongue weight.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
That's why I prefaced it with "almost". I know they're are some class C models that felt really spacious, but they were huge! We wanted a smaller unit, one that could easily be driven through towns and easily parked. The 24.1 stood out against the others, at least in the gas engine models. There were some sweet Sprinter series that we loved, but even if we had decided to not overlook the diesel models, I still think our Vegas would have won for us.
I agree 100%, although I try to keep in mind that adequate “spaciousness” is so subjective. For people who are used to traveling in a van that’s only 70 inches wide inside, the idea of a 90-inch-wide interior of an Axis is huge, yet others want or need to add slides to that to gain another 20 inches or so. It’s all relative I suppose.

Personally, I’d love to see an Axis 23.1 floorplan with typical Euro half dinette in front that makes a large living and dining area. That would allow for a larger overhead bed for two, so it could sleep 4. While they are at it, build it on 176” wheelbase from Ford. I know chassis can be stretched, but why do it if not necessary? I like simple stuff that’s super reliable.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #14755
Some real good points and comments. The bride and dog lover our 24.1 2018 Axis as much as I do. We find it easy to handle, lots of storage space in the unit and excellent storage in the seller. We like the features inside the unit and the functionality of use of space. I was surprised how well the unit handled itself when semi's passed us on the road...not much sway of sucking our unit towards the semi. We found it handled very well on a hard down pour rain and how steady it held the road on curves and other road issues. Our gas milage was ok but yet again it isn't a car it's a home on wheels and we expected the gas milage to be that when we started out on this journey. Were we issue free with this purchase...no but our research told us we were not purchasing a $1 mil coach. Did we expect to find cheaper materials being used , sure and we accepted that. About the only thing I am a bit put off on is the cheap electrical component's being used and mostly it's been the power point sockets, fuses and the factory process of hiding the blasted fuse boxes. If it's a fuse box that powers anything on the chassis call Thor and get the telephone number for Ford Customer Service service Tech as they will be the one's who will help..Thor sure can't. Ford was fantastic to work with. They took my call and said they would have a Ford Tac call within an hour...25 minutes the call came in and in two minutes problem located and solved. Before I hung up the Tac said I just ran your vin and see that your warranty start date and milage aren't recorded so contact my dealer and have them correct that issue and send it to Ford so I will not have any chassis warranty problems or Roadside Assistance problems. Contacted our dealer , they contacted Ford and problem was corrected and here we go again a short trip to Swan Bay RV Resort at Alexandra Bay on the St. Lawrence Seaway between NY and Canada. September will be our first trip to a National Park at Acadia National Park in Maine..." Gee, we love our Axis and so does our Hans as he's a Bernese Mountain Dog a big 114 pound four legged furry camper! < FISH <
Old 07-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #19

State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Love the new cooktop. Need to see if I can retrofit my 2018.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #20

THOR #12231
I love the idea of Thor offering a stripped down Axis / Vegas BUT i also love the Idea of Thor having a Loaded up version as well!

Big money to be made with add on's. Look at the automobile/Pickup truck world.

Example of "Must have" add on's for me would be: Hydraulic levelers, 1500 watt inverter, Engine bay/Dog house insulation.

Perhaps A complete 200 watt solar system?

Residential Frig?

Im not talking about having the Dealer add this stuff after purchase.... Im talking about ordering directly from the factory.

So they can advertize a stripped down 24.1 for 89K or 99K but then when you show up an see the 27.7 (or even a 24.1) with all the bells and whistles that you want for 129K.... I bet many would pull the trigger .