Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2017, 01:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #7007
Tow/Haul Mode

I have a 2017 Quantum RS26 with a Ford E-450 Super Duty cutaway chassis. Under what circumstances is the Tow/Haul mode best suited? I do not tow with my RV, but I do drive in hilly country and plan on traveling through mountains out West in the future.
Keith

Old 05-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith herrington View Post
I have a 2017 Quantum RS26 with a Ford E-450 Super Duty cutaway chassis. Under what circumstances is the Tow/Haul mode best suited? I do not tow with my RV, but I do drive in hilly country and plan on traveling through mountains out West in the future.
Keith
I guess you could use it on downgraded to save your brakes.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:24 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I find it great for downhill steep grades. Tap the brake on the way down the hill and it kicks down a gear. Careful to not hit the brake too many times because you can really downshift a bit too much and the engine will be howling. Good feature.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:16 AM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If the road is long flat with a good tail wind leave it off, otherwise press the button. Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl
I find it great for downhill steep grades. Tap the brake on the way down the hill and it kicks down a gear. Careful to not hit the brake too many times because you can really downshift a bit too much and the engine will be howling. Good feature.
I bet keith's unit does this all the time, not just when tow/haul is engaged. The newer models have this feature enabled in "normal" mode as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
I thought tow/haul was used when towing something? I thought the transmission automatically does the changes necessary under normal driving situations. Good point as far are using it for on steep grades downhill or when you have something intow. Otherwise, leave it off and let the transmission do its job???
Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Try it in stop and go city traffic - bet you like it.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A
I thought tow/haul was used when towing something? I thought the transmission automatically does the changes necessary under normal driving situations. Good point as far are using it for on steep grades downhill or when you have something intow. Otherwise, leave it off and let the transmission do its job???
The intent of Tow/Haul is for towing, yes. In reality all it does is change the shift points: It will hold lower gears longer and downshift earlier to give you some extra oomph (you can see how this would be advantageous for towing, but it also is for driving over mountains if you feel like the coach isn't quite making it).

On my old Super Duty pickups it was tow/ haul a__ mode--made them really zippy for an 8000lb truck in tow/haul mode.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #9

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Thanks Jamiegeek. I've had it on many vehicles and never used it unless I was towing. I can see how it is advantageous in other ways. BTW, went thru your home state a cpl years ago and was pleasantly suprised. Nice area and great people. Either there or Wisconsin, I asked for a pastie.....pronounced it wrong. Got a good laugh from the dude behind the counter.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A
Thanks Jamiegeek. I've had it on many vehicles and never used it unless I was towing. I can see how it is advantageous in other ways. BTW, went thru your home state a cpl years ago and was pleasantly suprised. Nice area and great people. Either there or Wisconsin, I asked for a pastie.....pronounced it wrong. Got a good laugh from the dude behind the counter.
LOL! Well to be fair many people from the Lower Peninsula can't pronounce pastie either (granted I'm in the Detroit area as well but have visited the UP many times and have family up there).

That really is the hidden gem of Michigan: If you get the chance don't pass up a visit to the Upper Peninsula.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The intent of Tow/Haul is for towing, yes. In reality all it does is change the shift points: It will hold lower gears longer and downshift earlier to give you some extra oomph (you can see how this would be advantageous for towing, but it also is for driving over mountains if you feel like the coach isn't quite making it).

On my old Super Duty pickups it was tow/ haul a__ mode--made them really zippy for an 8000lb truck in tow/haul mode.
I think you are half right: Tow/haul does hold the lower gears longer on acceleration but it delays downshifting when going up grades so you don't cycle the transmission in hilly areas unless needed.

I stay in normal when ramping onto an Interstate and then shift to tow/haul when I am up to speed if I am not towing. I use it all the time if I am towing.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 AM   #12

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I think you are half right: Tow/haul does hold the lower gears longer on acceleration but it delays downshifting when going up grades so you don't cycle the transmission in hilly areas unless needed.

I stay in normal when ramping onto an Interstate and then shift to tow/haul when I am up to speed if I am not towing. I use it all the time if I am towing.
I have never used Tow/Haul without having a load. That includes a 2000 Chevy V6. Why reduce your MPG if you have no reason. If it is necessary you should use it to get the load going shifting out of Tow/Haul when you are up to speed.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:59 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The purpose of Tow/Haul mode is not to increase your MPG, it is to reduce the wear and tear on the drivetrain due to constant transmission shifting. Driving a RV on a 350/450/F53 chassis is a load (as compared to an unloaded van or bread truck). When hauling/towing in normal mode a slight uphill run will cause the transmission to downshift and rev the engine to get you back up to speed, then will shift back to high gear, then downshift again as you can't maintain speed up the grade in high gear. The Tow/Haul mode minimizes this by keeping you in each gear longer.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Use mine in mountain driving and, on one occasion in New Mexico when we had a HUGE headwind on flat interstates. Without it my transmission had trouble holding 6th gear at highway speeds. I found that with tow/haul things were much settled down. Sometimes in 5th, others in 6th but not nearly so much shifting. It's also wonderful on long downgrades.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:20 AM   #15

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I'm confused as usual. You should use tow/haul when going both up and down steep inclines?
I've never driven a MH in the mountains and could use some advice.
Thanks
Old 07-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
I use tow/haul switch when I
1) am climbing or descending hills. The extra braking function is tremendous.
2) in traffic. For the same reason above.
3) high winds. Where I need to hold certain speeds or RPM'S.
4) In slow area's, like campsites.
5) whenever I am towing, unless I am in a long straight away, then I switch it off.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #17

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I'm confused as usual. You should use tow/haul when going both up and down steep inclines?
I've never driven a MH in the mountains and could use some advice.
Thanks
When going up the mountain tow/haul will hold the transmission in a lower gear for less strain and an easier climb. When descending the tow/haul will give better engine braking and you shouldn't need to use your brakes as much.

Depending on the type of ramp, sometimes I use the tow/haul when entering and exiting the freeway. I get better acceleration entering and less braking when exiting using the tow/haul. Nice thing is all you have to do is press the button on the end of the shifter to switch modes, pretty simple to turn on and off.

Since I installed the 5 Star Tune on my coach I don't use the tow/haul as much, with the better shifting patterns of 5 Star it has pretty much eliminated the need.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I don't tow but I always use tow/haul when going down steep grades, I love it just tap brake and it will glide you down a steep grade at a safe grade without riding your brakes.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #19

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Good to know! I've learned so much from you guys over these past few months!
Much appreciated!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #20

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith herrington View Post
Keith
I highly recommend you talk to a service tech or qualified mechanic about tow/haul mode. I know for a fact that at least a few of the responses to this question are simply incorrect in how/why the transmission works the way it does.
As for me personally if I'm towing/hauling I use tow/haul, if not I don't. For many downgrades I set my cruise and let the engine do it's work.