Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
i get to try it again.

get to pick up the MH after another month at the dealer to fix a few items.

the list : rewire awning switch, i'm not dyslexic.
roof leak over the driver area..
replace the bi-fold door in bedroom(wouldn't even fit in the jamb)
replace the radio..
add two more batteries.

yes, this is all, and it took a month.
out of the 9 weeks ive owned it, it's been at the dealer for 7 weeks.

i told the service writer a couple of weeks ago that i brought the RV for an agreed appointment, so i was assuming they were ready for it.
i was wrong.........

after TWO weeks, they order the new door and radio. two weeks.
i told her they knew the two items were to be replaced, why weren't they ordered by at least the 2nd day ?
she blamed the manufacturer for long shipping times, i told her to stop pointing fingers, your service department techs must all be quadriplegics for as long as it takes for them to do anything.
i stopped being nice, it doesn't work.
next week we'll take it on a shakedown weekend to see what kind of good things happen this time.

we've ordered a custom plate to attach to it...it's simple and to the point.

it says "RLGTRD" (rolling turd)

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Good luck. We all feel your pain. Bought ours in August and got it back, after numerous times leaving it with the dealer, in January. Our problem was a leak. I know leaks are tough to find. They even put a high pressure machine in it a couple ties, soaped the outside to watch for bubbles. Finally got it, I hope.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
i stopped being nice, it doesn't work......
sadly, being mean doesn't work either.....except to get yourself worked up in a negative attitude.

My experiences with Camping world ( I assume all dealers are more or less similar)
is that they won't do anything before they have your RV in hand.
Then they have to schedule it in to get a tech to photograph warranty issues, and push paperwork to get the order processed. Then they wait for their OEM parts department to work their way down the pile to actually make the order..... and so it goes.

It matters not that you and they might know exactly the part you need and that you would be more than capable of taking whatever pictures are needed so that the part can be ordered before your appointment time....

Better to just fix what you can yourself, and keep as happy of a face as you can.... for your own sanity not theirs, I don't care about theirs....
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

THOR #7425
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
sadly, being mean doesn't work either.....except to get yourself worked up in a negative attitude.

My experiences with Camping world ( I assume all dealers are more or less similar)

is that they won't do anything before they have your RV in hand.

Then they have to schedule it in to get a tech to photograph warranty issues, and push paperwork to get the order processed. Then they wait for their OEM parts department to work their way down the pile to actually make the order..... and so it goes.

It matters not that you and they might know exactly the part you need and that you would be more than capable of taking whatever pictures are needed so that the part can be ordered before your appointment time....

Better to just fix what you can yourself, and keep as happy of a face as you can.... for your own sanity not theirs, I don't care about theirs....

I bought my Axis from CW & have buyer's remorse big time. Everything you say is true. This is my third RV: 1st was a 5th Wheel/dually...2nd was a class C. Bought these first two from LAZY DAYS in Tampa. It is worth a plane ride down there. I live in the Florida panhandle and wish I had made the trip. What you experience their service, everything else pales. I am spoiled. I will never buy another RV from Camping World nor would I recommend them. They are great for small camping supplies, but I am not happy with their RV service. I love my Axis!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
In some cases, if you can spare the time, its worth the drive to Wakarusa, IN to get factory service. Then you are only out of your RV for a few days (granted if you're still working--such as myself--you don't have the time to drive there, take a few days, and drive back).

I'm only about 3 hours away so I was able to swing it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
This is the exact reason I fix everything myself. Always available to use!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I drove 1280 miles (round trip) to buy my Hurricane. The PDI was perfect and the few items we wanted change/improved were accomplished at the dealer after spending 20 hours camped out in their delivery shed (56 delivery spots with the service department in the center). In the 17 months since delivery, only two minor problems (patio awning LEDs failing, failed battery charging relay) occurred. Both fixed under warranty at my local Jayco dealer in less than one hour. It is hard to equal the delivery process at MHSRV and the warranty service from TMC.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #8

THOR #6874
well, picked up my rolling turd today at 2pm, they drove it out and when the service writer told me to open the slides.....nothing... house batteries dead as hell.
the lady had this little tiny deal she jumped the batteries to start the generator...waited a while and things worked..
they showed me the completed work and i couldn't wait to get out of there.
20 miles down the road and the radio quit....great.
after about 10 minutes i tried turning it on and i came on.....here we go.
tomorrow i will call Thor and let them know how pathetic General RV in Birch Run Michigan is with their service.
i will pay someone local to install a quality stereo camera combo because i wouldn't trust these guys to do it right now. a month, they had my RV a month to do such small task.
and to add insult to injury, they charged me $208 labor for installing 2 more 6v batteries.
they charge $129 per hr and said it took almost 2 hrs to do....i said that's now bad if you're a quadriplegic...setting 2 batteries, making 2 cables would take a normal tech about a half hour..
at any rate, if there's a god in heaven this thing will catch fire and burn to the ground....owning this thing and not trusting it isn't worth it ....

and i haven't even taken it on the road yet, only to the dealer and back...

rant over..

and how was everyone elses day ??? lol
Old 05-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We've heard stories like this before, sorry it had to happen to you!

Suggest you call Thor, ask them for other RV dealers that they authorize to do warranty work. That's if you can't go to the factory as JamieGeek suggested.

Call them all, and find out if there is one or more willing to work with you. You don't have to go back to the dealer that you bought from. Once the warranty is up, you have even more flexibility in choosing where you get service.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #10

THOR #6874
got to have the motor home at home for 4 days this time...
rained .6" an inch of rain and went out to check the coach and as i expected, water on the dash again, and this time there's water on the counter...geez...
they also have to fix the pocket door again, and the new radio shut off twice on the 60 mile ride home....(sigh)
they sent a driver right over to pick it up, much to my surprise(must be the heated email i sent to General RVs owner).
when i started the RV up for the driver, the leveling system showed an error(again)..so i reset it and called to let the dealer know there's another thing to add to the list.
service manager said he'd have it back to me in a couple of days...we shall see.

i really kick myself for buying this thing....